Bad hire vs hire that doesn’t work

Disagree on Golden and Diaz

Golden was a bad hire. UCLA and Tennessee passed on him because they figured out he was bogus. And his current coaching position further validates that.

Diaz will be fine.

What’s hilarious is how many of y’all would excuse close wins as “growing pains” for a 1st-time HC, but can’t see the same is true of the close losses.

Everyone wants to be the 1st to say they knew he’d fail. I’d laugh if it wasn’t so sad.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz has largely been a good on the field DC and below average to at times poor recruiter and/or evaluator of talent. Every blind squirrel finds a few nuts.
No matter what the outcome is it was a bad and lazy hire as the HC of what COULD be a fringe contender if we spent the time and money doing it. Maybe he can do it but certainly not with this staph

Golden was a bad hire. UCLA and Tennessee passed on him because they figured out he was bogus. And his current coaching position further validates that.

Diaz will be fine.

What’s hilarious is how many of y’all would excuse close wins as “growing pains” for a 1st-time HC, but can’t see the same is true of the close losses.

Everyone wants to be the 1st to say they knew he’d fail. I’d laugh if it wasn’t so sad.
This

I’d call Richt a hire that didn’t work. He had a generally solid stint at UGA. He was a bit on a downswing, but there was reason to think a stint at his alma mater might revive him.

Shannon was flat out a bad hire. He was DC under a fired HC. No other FBS program wanted Shannon as head coach. The admin thought he would bring back discipline and good behavior that had been lacking in Coker’s last year. Somehow they failed to realize that Shannon had been the DC during the FIU and LSU brawls and the Cardinal Stomping.

Golden was somewhere in between the Richt and Shannon hirings. He had gotten interviews at UCLA and Tennessee. He definitely would have gotten a Power 5 job if we hadn’t hired him. However, he topped out at 8-4 at Temple. And even at the time I was wondering if Temple’s move from the Big East to the MAC helped improve their win total.

Diaz was a bad hire. Similar to Shannon, he was DC under a head coach who we got rid of. Temple barely wanted him as head coach (he was their 3rd choice) and no other program ever considered him.

We have been for 15+ years the ugly fat chick that can’t get a date. Add the fact that the parent is dumb..

What is holding him back this year? He has one of the best TEs in the country. A solid QB. A good WR group. A good RB group. The line is obviously shaky, but it is still about average for the Coastal.
He has no excuse for the defense. He has had years building that up and getting his guys in there.
I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just stating the fact that a bad start doesn't have to mean a guy can't succeed.

So tell me this. If we can tell after 2 games that we don't have the right guy, why ever sign a guy to a multi-year contract? Why not only hire guys who will agree to 1 year...either you're a savage willing to bet on your ability to change things right away or we don't need you. Why get into this situation where we keep having to throw money at guys who don't work for us anymore or keep a guy on when we know he's not who we want?

Advertisement
As mad as I am at 0-2, I will never say a hire is bad after two games. Short leash, coming from a failed staff, but not THAT short.

The comparisons to Golden kind of suck. Outside of being a smooth public speaker, I don't see it.

The comparison to Randy Shannon...well...that is where the money is. The comparisons to Randy run way too deep.

Golden was a bad hire. UCLA and Tennessee passed on him because they figured out he was bogus.

Let’s not make UCLA and Tennessee the poster boys for spotting bogus coaches. Lol.

Advertisement
As mad as I am at 0-2, I will never say a hire is bad after two games. Short leash, coming from a failed staff, but not THAT short.
Yeah it’s too early and too many mistakes are happening that’s preventing us from winning. We had leads in the 4th quarter of each of the last 2 games with a lot of momentum and still lost which obviously hurts

Butch Davis started off his initial season at 1-3 with a team that had a chance to win the national title going into the bowl game the season before.

I'm ****ed that we're 0-2, especially after how this last game ended, but I'm not about to go buy a Jump to Conclusions mat to put a final edict out on Manny like some people are.

OP thinks Richt was a good hire after 8 years of him underachieving, going below 500 against top 25 teams, winning the pathetic SEC East once in those 8 years, and ultimately getting fired (and clearly the correct call for UGA).

OP is a bad poster.

I’d call Richt a hire that didn’t work. He had a generally solid stint at UGA. He was a bit on a downswing, but there was reason to think a stint at his alma mater might revive him.

Shannon was flat out a bad hire. He was DC under a fired HC. No other FBS program wanted Shannon as head coach. The admin thought he would bring back discipline and good behavior that had been lacking in Coker’s last year. Somehow they failed to realize that Shannon had been the DC during the FIU and LSU brawls and the Cardinal Stomping.

Golden was somewhere in between the Richt and Shannon hirings. He had gotten interviews at UCLA and Tennessee. He definitely would have gotten a Power 5 job if we hadn’t hired him. However, he topped out at 8-4 at Temple. And even at the time I was wondering if Temple’s move from the Big East to the MAC helped improve their win total.

Diaz was a bad hire. Similar to Shannon, he was DC under a head coach who we got rid of. Temple barely wanted him as head coach (he was their 3rd choice) and no other program ever considered him.

Your points about Richt not being a bad hire, Shannon being a bad hire and Golden being somewhere in between are spot on.

Your comment about Diaz being a bad hire—you went off the rails trying to prove your point.

By definition you said Richt was a hire that didn't work, but that he had the resume and ran out of gas late in his career. If he had the time and energy, it wasn't a stretch to think he'd revive Miami—as we saw a glimpse of what could be in 2017.

Miami generally made low-rent hires in the past; promoting Coker, hiring Shannon (when only Schiano was offered the job), choosing Golden from a list that included Randy Edsall and Marc Trestman.

Mark Richt was a quality head coaching hire and due to his push for more money for assistants, he hired better quality when building his stuff than UM had seen in the past (re: Shannon bringing on Patrick Nix, Mark Whipple, John Lovett, et al.)

Diaz hit the ground running and turned the defense around immediately at Miami—and Temple came calling at the end of his third season at UM. There is little doubt he would have future offers based on his defensive success.

Comparing Shannon and Diaz makes zero sense. You're knocking Manny for being Temple's third choice after three years—of success with less talent than Shannon ever had; who the f**k ever wanted Randy Shannon for anything? After his time was up at Miami, forget another head coaching job; dude kicked around as a linebackers coach—not even a defensive coordinator—one season at TCU and two years at Arkansas, before Florida brought him on in the same role, but gave him some hybrid, trumped up co-defensive coordinator / assistant head coach title because they wanted him to help with recruiting South Florida—which he's since parlayed into a defensive coordinator job at Central Florida.

Weak argument in comparing Shannon and Diaz ... two close games into Diaz's tenure, no less.

I'll give you a comparison:

Both took over for 7-6 teams.

Diaz brought Miami to play No. 8 Florida in his first game, where the Canes made a few too many mistakes, gave up a late lead and loose.

Shannon brought Miami to play No. 6 Oklahoma in his second game and was run out of the stadium, 51-13. Went on to lose at home to No. 21 Virginia, 48-0 in the Orange Bowl finale and went 5-7 that year—UM's worst record since 1979.

Let's have this Shannon versus Diaz year one argument in December, not early September.

Advertisement
Butch Davis started off his initial season at 1-3 with a team that had a chance to win the national title going into the bowl game the season before.

I'm ****ed that we're 0-2, especially after how this last game ended, but I'm not about to go buy a Jump to Conclusions mat to put a final edict out on Manny like some people are.

Exactly.

People wanted to run Butch out of town from that 31-8 opener at UCLA in 1995, through that 34-29 loss at Washington year six .... yet have screamed "Bring Back Butch!" every hire since the end fo 2006.

Our fans need to get a grip.

We're 0-2 and have lost by a total of 7pts. In addition, the coaching staff put us in position to win both of those games and both times we had drops in the endzone (Jeff Thomas-Wk0 & Will Mallory-Wk2)...

How are fans already calling this a bad hire???

Since when the f8ck did we get so entitled when we haven't been nationally relevant in over 10 years???

Its GREAT to be a MIAMI HURRICANE!!!! I F8CKING SWEAR :snoopfacepalm:

Diaz will be fine.

Of course nobody wanted to hire Golden after he failed at Miami. That doesn’t mean other schools weren’t interested in him before he took the Miami job.

And actually UCLA went after Golden twice. They interviewed him when he was 5-19 at Temple after 2 years (Temple was so bad that that was considered a good record) but ultimately passed on him. They went after Golden again after his first year at Miami, but Golden turned them down.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hey Mr Rogers, what is your opinion on the coaching staff

io4FbXU.gif

...after two games.

Hey, experience improves decision speed. We have a lot of experience with loser coaches and see clearly now. I thought Randy was really good man and thought that mattered. Golden had me at "Are you kidding" and I defended for a couple years. First 10 games of 2017 had me dreaming. Now, I was ready to bail on Manny at first sign. Not bouncing back after gator loss was all I needed this time around. Needs to go and the sooner the better. That said there is only one replacement, Mr Butch Davis. Bad game day coach but mother of all recruiter when on the Miami campus.

Your points about Richt not being a bad hire, Shannon being a bad hire and Golden being somewhere in between are spot on.

Your comment about Diaz being a bad hire—you went off the rails trying to prove your point.

By definition you said Richt was a hire that didn't work, but that he had the resume and ran out of gas late in his career. If he had the time and energy, it wasn't a stretch to think he'd revive Miami—as we saw a glimpse of what could be in 2017.

Miami generally made low-rent hires in the past; promoting Coker, hiring Shannon (when only Schiano was offered the job), choosing Golden from a list that included Randy Edsall and Marc Trestman.

Mark Richt was a quality head coaching hire and due to his push for more money for assistants, he hired better quality when building his stuff than UM had seen in the past (re: Shannon bringing on Patrick Nix, Mark Whipple, John Lovett, et al.)

Diaz hit the ground running and turned the defense around immediately at Miami—and Temple came calling at the end of his third season at UM. There is little doubt he would have future offers based on his defensive success.

Comparing Shannon and Diaz makes zero sense. You're knocking Manny for being Temple's third choice after three years—of success with less talent than Shannon ever had; who the f**k ever wanted Randy Shannon for anything? After his time was up at Miami, forget another head coaching job; dude kicked around as a linebackers coach—not even a defensive coordinator—one season at TCU and two years at Arkansas, before Florida brought him on in the same role, but gave him some hybrid, trumped up co-defensive coordinator / assistant head coach title because they wanted him to help with recruiting South Florida—which he's since parlayed into a defensive coordinator job at Central Florida.

Weak argument in comparing Shannon and Diaz ... two close games into Diaz's tenure, no less.

I'll give you a comparison:

Both took over for 7-6 teams.

Diaz brought Miami to play No. 8 Florida in his first game, where the Canes made a few too many mistakes, gave up a late lead and loose.

Shannon brought Miami to play No. 6 Oklahoma in his second game and was run out of the stadium, 51-13. Went on to lose at home to No. 21 Virginia, 48-0 in the Orange Bowl finale and went 5-7 that year—UM's worst record since 1979.

Let's have this Shannon versus Diaz year one argument in December, not early September.

Shannon bounced around as a LB coach after his Miami head coaching stint. It’s not like the Miami admin could have known that would happen when they made Shannon head coach . And obviously he wasn’t going to get another HC job after Miami fired him-the real disgrace was that he couldn’t get a DC job for a long time. (And actually Shannon was the real DC at UF in 2017, but it was a pretty big disaster.)

Anyway, Diaz’s resume at the time he was hired as Miami coach really wasn’t any more impressive than Shannon’s. Both were responsible for the more productive side of the ball under unpopular Miami head coaches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back