Bad hire vs hire that doesn’t work

If your only contribution to this website is incessantly telling us Diaz was a bad hire and nothing else, what a miserable life you must live as clearly you've got nothing else to do with your time.

Advertisement
We didn't get rid of Mark Richt. The logic is flawed right off the bat.

We nicely asked him to retire after he refused to fire his son as QB coach and fire himself as playcaller. His exit was basically a mutual parting of ways. It certainly was not something the admin was upset about.

Of course nobody wanted to hire Golden after he failed at Miami. That doesn’t mean other schools weren’t interested in him before he took the Miami job.

And actually UCLA went after Golden twice. They interviewed him when he was 5-19 at Temple after 2 years (Temple was so bad that that was considered a good record) but ultimately passed on him. They went after Golden again after his first year at Miami, but Golden turned them down.

We'll agree to disagree.

By your rationale, Miami must have gone after Dan Mullen twice, too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What is holding him back this year? He has one of the best TEs in the country. A solid QB. A good WR group. A good RB group. The line is obviously shaky, but it is still about average for the Coastal.
He has no excuse for the defense. He has had years building that up and getting his guys in there.

Agree 100%

Our expectations wouldn't be at such a high level IF Diaz hadn't pushed them there in the 1st place.

All the talk about the "New Miami" and a NO BS , NO Excuses, Expect Perfection approach etc. etc.

People here were loving this "savage " approach

Well to date no one can deny that all the bluster and gimmicks have borne poor results.....maybe it changes in the future....We ALL certainly hope so

I can excuse UF 1st game etc. etc. BUT WITH TWO WEEKS TO PREPARE FOR UNC!! ...and we get thoroughly exposed :sorrow: There is no excuse for that...NONE

Tired of the talk, the high expectations, don't want any more gimmicks or trinkets......WE WANT TO SEE RESULTS.

Time to get this turned around and start delivering

I don’t get how you can argue that so far Manny has been a bad hire. That’s not saying he can’t progress and get better, but being 0-2 in two games we should have won is the only story. He made the underwhelming hires on his side of the ball. He allowed Enos to bring Stubblefield

Stop carrying water for him and call it like it is. His future and the future of this team isn’t black and white but his 0-2 record is.

We saw the same level of coaching ability with Shannon and Golden.

Pay for Temple coach, get temple results.

how quickly we forget... heard the same issues with Botch for a time and now he is goat. I say let things play out. It's been two games. He may not be the guy but hard to say right now.

Advertisement
His side of the ball. Definitely didn't stay on par with the offense.

If Gordon Ramsey was critiquing our defensive recruiting. He would tell Rump he was the best of the worst and to go up stairs and pick two for the chopping block. Then he would tell Patke and Banda to **** off.

DT, LB and S recruiting has been horrific. I know the answer of why we failed. You can look at the coaches at those position. How can you **** up recruiting on that side of the ball. When you have had the best to ever play the game. Come from your school and still alive and spitting HoF speeches on TV.

These kids see past that smoke and mirror D ranking and keep on trucking to the SEC. **** most JR don't want to come back and play in it.

DT recruiting has been horrific? Safety?

Christ and you're an admin? What coloring book test give you those creds?

Linebacker has been lacking and lord knows the injuries haven't helped but good grief.

Agree 100%

Our expectations wouldn't be at such a high level IF Diaz hadn't pushed them there in the 1st place.

All the talk about the "New Miami" and a NO BS , NO Excuses, Expect Perfection approach etc. etc.

People here were loving this "savage " approach

Well to date no one can deny that all the bluster and gimmicks have borne poor results.....maybe it changes in the future....We ALL certainly hope so

I can excuse UF 1st game etc. etc. BUT WITH TWO WEEKS TO PREPARE FOR UNC!! ...and we get thoroughly exposed :sorrow: There is no excuse for that...NONE

Tired of the talk, the high expectations, don't want any more gimmicks or trinkets......WE WANT TO SEE RESULTS.

Time to get this turned around and start delivering

At the same time what you expect Diaz or any coach do it? We will grill him if the truth of being a middle of the pack ACC ever come out!!

Now I'm wondering if Manny was a bit of a micromanager and the defense was as good as it was because he had all of it in focus and now that he has cast a wider gaze, it's fallen off.

Your points about Richt not being a bad hire, Shannon being a bad hire and Golden being somewhere in between are spot on.

Your comment about Diaz being a bad hire—you went off the rails trying to prove your point.

By definition you said Richt was a hire that didn't work, but that he had the resume and ran out of gas late in his career. If he had the time and energy, it wasn't a stretch to think he'd revive Miami—as we saw a glimpse of what could be in 2017.

Miami generally made low-rent hires in the past; promoting Coker, hiring Shannon (when only Schiano was offered the job), choosing Golden from a list that included Randy Edsall and Marc Trestman.

Mark Richt was a quality head coaching hire and due to his push for more money for assistants, he hired better quality when building his stuff than UM had seen in the past (re: Shannon bringing on Patrick Nix, Mark Whipple, John Lovett, et al.)

Diaz hit the ground running and turned the defense around immediately at Miami—and Temple came calling at the end of his third season at UM. There is little doubt he would have future offers based on his defensive success.

Comparing Shannon and Diaz makes zero sense. You're knocking Manny for being Temple's third choice after three years—of success with less talent than Shannon ever had; who the f**k ever wanted Randy Shannon for anything? After his time was up at Miami, forget another head coaching job; dude kicked around as a linebackers coach—not even a defensive coordinator—one season at TCU and two years at Arkansas, before Florida brought him on in the same role, but gave him some hybrid, trumped up co-defensive coordinator / assistant head coach title because they wanted him to help with recruiting South Florida—which he's since parlayed into a defensive coordinator job at Central Florida.

Weak argument in comparing Shannon and Diaz ... two close games into Diaz's tenure, no less.

I'll give you a comparison:

Both took over for 7-6 teams.

Diaz brought Miami to play No. 8 Florida in his first game, where the Canes made a few too many mistakes, gave up a late lead and loose.

Shannon brought Miami to play No. 6 Oklahoma in his second game and was run out of the stadium, 51-13. Went on to lose at home to No. 21 Virginia, 48-0 in the Orange Bowl finale and went 5-7 that year—UM's worst record since 1979.

Let's have this Shannon versus Diaz year one argument in December, not early September.
Your points about Richt not being a bad hire, Shannon being a bad hire and Golden being somewhere in between are spot on.

Your comment about Diaz being a bad hire—you went off the rails trying to prove your point.

By definition you said Richt was a hire that didn't work, but that he had the resume and ran out of gas late in his career. If he had the time and energy, it wasn't a stretch to think he'd revive Miami—as we saw a glimpse of what could be in 2017.

Miami generally made low-rent hires in the past; promoting Coker, hiring Shannon (when only Schiano was offered the job), choosing Golden from a list that included Randy Edsall and Marc Trestman.

Mark Richt was a quality head coaching hire and due to his push for more money for assistants, he hired better quality when building his stuff than UM had seen in the past (re: Shannon bringing on Patrick Nix, Mark Whipple, John Lovett, et al.)

Diaz hit the ground running and turned the defense around immediately at Miami—and Temple came calling at the end of his third season at UM. There is little doubt he would have future offers based on his defensive success.

Comparing Shannon and Diaz makes zero sense. You're knocking Manny for being Temple's third choice after three years—of success with less talent than Shannon ever had; who the f**k ever wanted Randy Shannon for anything? After his time was up at Miami, forget another head coaching job; dude kicked around as a linebackers coach—not even a defensive coordinator—one season at TCU and two years at Arkansas, before Florida brought him on in the same role, but gave him some hybrid, trumped up co-defensive coordinator / assistant head coach title because they wanted him to help with recruiting South Florida—which he's since parlayed into a defensive coordinator job at Central Florida.

Weak argument in comparing Shannon and Diaz ... two close games into Diaz's tenure, no less.

I'll give you a comparison:

Both took over for 7-6 teams.

Diaz brought Miami to play No. 8 Florida in his first game, where the Canes made a few too many mistakes, gave up a late lead and loose.

Shannon brought Miami to play No. 6 Oklahoma in his second game and was run out of the stadium, 51-13. Went on to lose at home to No. 21 Virginia, 48-0 in the Orange Bowl finale and went 5-7 that year—UM's worst record since 1979.

Let's have this Shannon versus Diaz year one argument in December, not early September.

Anyway, you thought Shannon was a decent hire. https://www.google.com/amp/s/itsaut...h-old-school-the-u-orange-bowl-linebacker/amp

And you were defending him when he was 22-18. https://www.google.com/amp/s/itsaut...h-old-school-the-u-orange-bowl-linebacker/amp

Advertisement
I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just stating the fact that a bad start doesn't have to mean a guy can't succeed.

So tell me this. If we can tell after 2 games that we don't have the right guy, why ever sign a guy to a multi-year contract? Why not only hire guys who will agree to 1 year...either you're a savage willing to bet on your ability to change things right away or we don't need you. Why get into this situation where we keep having to throw money at guys who don't work for us anymore or keep a guy on when we know he's not who we want?

Because I highly doubt many competent coaches are going to agree to a single year contract.

At the same time what you expect Diaz or any coach do it? We will grill him if the truth of being a middle of the pack ACC ever come out!!

With TWO weeks to prepare for a Coastal opponent?

Any sane fan would have expected a helluva lot more performance and discipline than was shown.

His side of the ball. Definitely didn't stay on par with the offense.

If Gordon Ramsey was critiquing our defensive recruiting. He would tell Rump he was the best of the worst and to go up stairs and pick two for the chopping block. Then he would tell Patke and Banda to **** off.

DT, LB and S recruiting has been horrific. I know the answer of why we failed. You can look at the coaches at those position. How can you **** up recruiting on that side of the ball. When you have had the best to ever play the game. Come from your school and still alive and spitting HoF speeches on TV.

These kids see past that smoke and mirror D ranking and keep on trucking to the SEC. **** most JR don't want to come back and play in it.
How has DT, LB and S recruiting been horrific?

You can't really legislate for the number of injuries we've had at LB. At S, Smith bailing the week before the season started hurt us - especially with Bolden still ineligible to play and Frierson being moved to Striker.

DTs I think we have a good rotation with three very exciting Freshman learning the ropes as we speak.

The only place we've really struggled on defence, in my opinion, is CB. We don't have guys with Miami speed out there at the moment - can't comment on Couch and Williams as I haven't seen them play.

Advertisement
With TWO weeks to prepare for a Coastal opponent?

Any sane fan would have expected a helluva lot more performance and discipline than was shown.

Of course! I am on that boat but complaining about promoting and hyping the program is nonsense. At the end we the fans are the ones that get caught up in it

I’d call Richt a hire that didn’t work. He had a generally solid stint at UGA. He was a bit on a downswing, but there was reason to think a stint at his alma mater might revive him.

Shannon was flat out a bad hire. He was DC under a fired HC. No other FBS program wanted Shannon as head coach. The admin thought he would bring back discipline and good behavior that had been lacking in Coker’s last year. Somehow they failed to realize that Shannon had been the DC during the FIU and LSU brawls and the Cardinal Stomping.

Golden was somewhere in between the Richt and Shannon hirings. He had gotten interviews at UCLA and Tennessee. He definitely would have gotten a Power 5 job if we hadn’t hired him. However, he topped out at 8-4 at Temple. And even at the time I was wondering if Temple’s move from the Big East to the MAC helped improve their win total.

Diaz was a bad hire. Similar to Shannon, he was DC under a head coach who we got rid of. Temple barely wanted him as head coach (he was their 3rd choice) and no other program ever considered him.
Richt was a bad hire. He failed at being a HC/OC so UGA made him hire an an OC. Then he failed at being a CEO coach. So UM hires him at what he failed at. That is a bad hire. To make it worse, he hires his son onto his staff, which was absurd. And he himself said he was burned out before he came to UM. He took the job for the wrong reasons, and was not capable of doing what he wanted to do.

how quickly we forget... heard the same issues with Botch for a time and now he is goat. I say let things play out. It's been two games. He may not be the guy but hard to say right now.
Watching Manny Diaz on the sideline is like watching a mashup of Radio and Folden level of coaching. 4th and 17 that lead to a touchdown, lol.

If some of you guys wanna lie to yourselves & think Manny has a chance here then great for you. Anybody with a brain has seen all they need to see. He’s in over his head. He had months to prepare for Florida, his team looked like they never played football before. He had an extra week to prepare for UNC, & again his team was unprepared. Sorry he’s going to be like the rest of the bunch.

Advertisement
Back