Background on McIntosh/Norton leaving

Sucks that I have to be torn about wanting canes to be picked as early as possible vs. proving these agents/kids wrong.

Advertisement
The messed up part about it all is these agents swindle kids & their families, but if a player doesn't do well in the league & ends up busting them slick talking scumbags are nowhere to be found when the player needs money.

I have no idea where RJ or Norton will get drafted, I wish them the most success & hope they get a big 2nd contract so they're set for life.

But, there's so many crooked vultures in professional sports, a lot of pro athletes go broke because they have nothing but pure evil swine preying on their lack of financial literacy & steal millions from them. Not saying that's going to happen to RJ or Nort, I'm speaking generally.

We shoulda had a former player talk to these boys & give them some truth, not some shiester looking for a quick buck.

Couldn't agree more LCE. I'm really hoping the Hurricane network that Richt is trying to build with alums involved will prevent this sort of thing going forward. I wish them well, but I think they would've been much better served coming back.

Go Canes!

They both will be drafted by the 3rd round they made the best choice... congratulations and its time to move on.

Looks like agents played a part in pumping sunshine on McIntosh's draft grade. Also interesting that Norton made the decision to jump first. I thought that McIntosh was going to be dictating how this would go.

Miami Hurricanes a Top 10 team in early 2018 football polls | Miami Herald

▪ He said Richt, defensive coordinator Manny Diaz and defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski — during their meeting with the McIntoshes on Saturday — said they were told he would likely be a third- or fourth-round pick, but that agents told the McIntosh family that he would be picked “late first or no later than the third round.”

wish Rumph knew how to close like those agents...

Advertisement
RJ is rated the 16th DT by some draft board, fairly accurate scouting by them last year. The guy rated 16th by them last year went in the 6th round. So, there’s that.

Simple facts these kids/families ignore

If it’s waltercamp, Norton is 16 out of 25. RJ is not ranked.

Only 23 DTs were drafted in 2017
21 in 2016

I’m not trolling. I think RJ is at risk of not being drafted. Norton goes about 5-6 round.

RJ is rated the 16th DT by some draft board, fairly accurate scouting by them last year. The guy rated 16th by them last year went in the 6th round. So, there’s that.

21 in 2016

I’m not trolling. I think RJ is at risk of not being drafted. Norton goes about 5-6 round.

Woof

Wish them well...

Advertisement

21 in 2016

Woof

Wish them well...

Yes

Frustrating that the lesser player, Norton, is the one who dictated the decision.

Here’s another site that has Norton higher. 11th overall DT.
That ain’t bad for a junior.

Advertisement

21 in 2016

Waltercamp has mcintosh with a 1st-3rd round grade and gave him a b+ on his decision to leave early.

R.J. McIntosh, DE/DT, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 293.
Projected 40 Time: 4.98.
Projected Round (2018): 1-3.
R.J. McIntosh had an exceptional season and is doing the right thing by selling high on his draft stock. He's an extremely disruptive interior presence who can generate consistent pressure on the quarterback and also play well against the run. McIntosh will intrigue all teams, as he can play in both the 4-3 and 3-4. I don't think it's out of the question that McIntosh will ultimately be a first-round pick, though the most likely outcome is for him to be chosen at some point Friday night.

Grade for declaring: B+

Kendrick Norton, DT, Miami
Height: 6-3. Weight: 318.
Projected 40 Time: 5.23.
Projected Round (2018): 3-5
Kendrick Norton has played well for Miami the past two seasons. He was expected to have a breakout 2017 campaign, but that never happened, as he continued to play around the same level. Norton probably should have returned to school so he could have that great year, but this decision isn't a poor one. Norton has a chance to sneak into the third round as long as he has a strong pre-draft process.

Grade for declaring: C+

Read more: WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Draft Underclassmen

Advertisement
Don't agents make more money the higher the players actually get drafted? Doesn't make much sense

A lot of them just go for pure quantity and it's an industry so many people try to crack into that many of the smaller firms will do and say anything just to get kids signed to them- even if half of their "clients" end up dumping them for a bigger/better agency before they actually sign their deal.

Also, you have to account for Norton being an under the radar NFL prospect. These smaller agencies have to bank off the quantity route like [MENTION=9712]Tad Footeball[/MENTION] pointed out. If Norton and McIntosh were to have stayed, they would've been on bigger radars like CAA and Rosenhaus for sure.

Lol at you fools believing NFL teams are going to rank RJ and Norton anywhere near the bottom half of DTs and in the 6th round. Hilarious :jordan:

The messed up part about it all is these agents swindle kids & their families, but if a player doesn't do well in the league & ends up busting them slick talking scumbags are nowhere to be found when the player needs money.

I have no idea where RJ or Norton will get drafted, I wish them the most success & hope they get a big 2nd contract so they're set for life.

But, there's so many crooked vultures in professional sports, a lot of pro athletes go broke because they have nothing but pure evil swine preying on their lack of financial literacy & steal millions from them. Not saying that's going to happen to RJ or Nort, I'm speaking generally.

We shoulda had a former player talk to these boys & give them some truth, not some shiester looking for a quick buck.

I agree with much of what you’re saying but I want to add that we need to instruct these students, while still in school, on the importance of fiscal responsibility. You know there’s certain kids like Shaq you don’t have to worry about. But there’s a general tendency to excuse lack of personal responsibility. These kids need to get it drilled into their heads that the money won’t last forever.

Having a garage full of Bentleys looks cool, but you can’t keep that up.

I’m not saying don’t have fun, but somebody needs to be whispering in their ear.

Lol at you fools believing NFL teams are going to rank RJ and Norton anywhere near the bottom half of DTs and in the 6th round. Hilarious :jordan:

It’s not the NFL, it’s draftniks who eat, sleep and live the NFL draft.

Advertisement
Back