Background on McIntosh/Norton leaving

RJ is rated the 16th DT by some draft board, fairly accurate scouting by them last year. The guy rated 16th by them last year went in the 6th round. So, there’s that.

this. mcintosh has the potential to be a solid pro, but there is next to no chance he sneaks into the 1st. if he has an incredible combine MAYBE he gets into the 2nd. judging by all of the current DT rankings he is probably going in the 4th.

Norton could go anywhere because playing at UM always adds value and he has the size/athleticism to make someone drool. He is also the kind of guy that gets people fired. BOOM OR BUST. personally if a guy doesnt put up numbers in college, i will never understand how people think they can change them and get them to produce as a professional.

Advertisement
Are agents allowed to speak with the player and/or family before the player declares for the draft?

Advertisement
Wish those boys the best, but that was some beta ****. They really could have ate in next year defense, but to each their own. Hope they ball out! I hate to talk down on Cane players, but anybody noticing a trend with Golden recruited players pulling some soft moves. Maybe it changes with next year class, but IJS!

Unfortunately this happens every year, at every school. All the agents care about is getting paid in cases like this.

Now that they’ve made the decision I hope it pays off for them. I think RJ will be fine but I have no idea what Norton is doing. He’s not going to be able to join his buddy on a rooster

You mean they don't make a 2 seat rooster ?

This is why they need to push back the deadline to declare for underclassmen after Pro Day, makes no sense to have it before.

Or just bring back the supplemental draft.

Looking at the draft historically from ESPNs draft results:

2017 one DTs went in the 1st, and two went in the 2nd. 8 total went the first 2 days (1st-3rd round).
2016 four DTs went in the 1st, and four went in the 2nd. 12 total went the first 2 days.
2015 two DTs went in the 1st, and two went in the 2nd. 6 total went the first 2 days.
2014 two DTs went in the 1st, and three went in the 2nd. 9 total went in the first 2 days.
2013 four DTs went in the 1st, and two went in the 2nd. 10 total went in the first 2 days.
2012 three DTs went in the 1st, and four went in the 2nd. 11 total went in the first 2 days.
2011 four DTs went in the 1st, and three went in the 2nd. 12 total went in the first 2 days.
2010 five DTs went in the 1st, and five went in the 2nd. 13 total went in the first 2 days.

This averages out to 2.875 1st rounders, 3.125 2nd rounders, and 10.125 Total in rounds 1-3.
So that means if you aren't one of the top 6 DTs, you're are unlikely to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. And if you aren't one of the top 10 DTs, you're more likely to be a 4th rounder or later.

Now for me personally, I'd say neither McIntosh or Norton have a chance to get drafted before Wilkins, Vea, or Payne. So Statistically, the best case scenario, McIntosh will not be a 1st round pick, even in the best case scenario of him being the 4th DT off the board. However I'd say guys like Dre'Mont Jones, Tavon Bryan, Maurice Hurst, and Harrison Phillips all are way more likely to be drafted above McIntosh than not too. So that would mean most likely, McIntosh is looking like the 8th DT off the board. Even then theres still guys like Derrick Nnandi, Rasheem Green, Andrew Brown, Da'Shawn Hand, and Lowell Lotulelei that McIntosh and Norton will be competing with to be drafted above. At least worst case scenario I see Both being drafted - Mcintosh around the 4th round, and Norton around the 6th (again, in a worst case scenario)

Plus if you don't trust me, Matt Miller Doesn't have either Rj McInotsh nor Kendrick Norton in his updated top 10 DTs - 2018 NFL Draft Big Board: Matt Miller'''s Post-Regular-Season Rankings | Bleacher Report

Advertisement
Don't agents make more money the higher the players actually get drafted? Doesn't make much sense

As a real estate agent, the same mindset occurs with sellers. Clients more frequently sign with an agent who gives them an inflated value for the property. Once signed, it sits for a while then the agent marks price down to market value but has the client. First cousin of bait and switch.

This is the analogy that I'm always reminded of. Because it's commission based, the incentive is the quick sell (not holding the line and working for the high-value asking price). So too with football agents. If they can convince a kid to go pro today (instead of hoping the kid is still interested in signing with him in a year), and get that kid drafted for their 3%, they make more $$ from a volume perspective (even if the kid doesn't).

For you visual learners:

1.jpg

There's very little difference between a 3rd round pick and a 7th round pick for the agent's bottom line.

I mean who would think that agents would lie to kids!?

And then when they go undrafted the agent is nowhere to be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I don’t know why people keep saying McIntosh is going be a mid round pick. He’s going shoot up the boards a lot with combine and his tape. He could easily be a late first pick.

Damned agents are probably sending marketing material to middle schoolers.

Quantity - not quality.

Advertisement
Don't agents make more money the higher the players actually get drafted? Doesn't make much sense

This is a supremely naive position. Agents see these kids as lottery tickets and a numbers game. The more they can sign, the more chances they have to get their hooks into a JJ Watt, etc. they could care less and are not incentivized to maximize the earnings for an individual players. Sign them when you can has to be the agent mantra. They’re not going to recommend they go back to school for another year to maximize the players earning potential when they know full well that player is more likely than not to select a different agent 12 months down the road.

The messed up part about it all is these agents swindle kids & their families, but if a player doesn't do well in the league & ends up busting them slick talking scumbags are nowhere to be found when the player needs money.

I have no idea where RJ or Norton will get drafted, I wish them the most success & hope they get a big 2nd contract so they're set for life.

But, there's so many crooked vultures in professional sports, a lot of pro athletes go broke because they have nothing but pure evil swine preying on their lack of financial literacy & steal millions from them. Not saying that's going to happen to RJ or Nort, I'm speaking generally.

We shoulda had a former player talk to these boys & give them some truth, not some shiester looking for a quick buck.

Should have asked those agents if they were so sure the coaches were wrong were they willing to risk their 3%.

RJ MIGHT get picked by the end of the 3rd round but I doubt it.More than likely 4th-5th rd.I seriously think Norton gets drafted no earlier than 5th-6th round but more than likely will be an UFA.

Adding to the fact neither will have their diploma it just adds to the long list of UM kids that were duped by these snakes in suits.Both should have stayed and upped their stock.

Oh well at some point maybe these kids will take notice that these agents do not have their well being in mind.

Advertisement
Back