B1G vs. SEC for Miami: Realignment Reality Check - Poll

Choose the conference:


  • Total voters
    261
Everyone keeps debating where Miami should end up when the inevitable happens and it’s time to go to a Power 2 conference. Please vote below, and explain why (especially if you prefer the B1G)…

For the purposes of this, I added FSU, Clemson and NC to the SEC, and Notre Dame to the B1G.

I vote for the SEC, and here is why:

1. Roster Footprint
  • SEC Territory (~79% of current roster): Nearly 80% of the entire locker room comes from SEC country (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, and North Carolina). That means families can actually drive or catch quick 1-2 hour flights to almost every single road game.
  • B1G Territory (~17% of current roster): We pull some talent out of California, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska, but that's still under a fifth of the team. Sending South Florida kids to Eugene, East Lansing, or Iowa City is a much tougher sell for local families, especially in November!
  • Other (~4%): Nevada, Virginia, Idaho, and international roots.

2. Travel Math

If Miami visits every road venue in each league:
  • SEC: ~26,900 total round-trip miles (~1,790 miles per trip)
  • Big Ten: ~48,820 total round-trip miles (~2,870 miles per trip)
Joining the Big Ten adds nearly 22,000 extra flight miles (+81%). In fact, just four West Coast trips (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington) equal almost half of an entire SEC schedule.

3. Culture & Non-Revenue Sports

B1G travel would butcher baseball, soccer, and volleyball schedules with 5-hour midweek flights. Plus, regional SEC matchups (Florida, FSU, Clemson, UNC, LSU, Georgia) match our fan culture far better than cold November trips to Minneapolis or Madison.

Member Teams:

SEC (19): Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt.

Big Ten (19): Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, UCLA, USC, Washington, Wisconsin.

I know about the AAU status, media rights, etc - but looking at it from a pure football standpoint, the SEC makes sense. We’ve played and won National Championships and huge games against Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, FSU, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Texas A&M… I couldn’t say that for 80% of the B1G, except Ohio State, Notre Dame, and maybe a Michigan/UCLA.

Do you really want to go to a game in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Maryland or Ohio in November? Seriously?
Haha. Let’s see—— LA, Seattle, Minneapolis or Starkville, Norman, Auburn ?

Tough call?
 
My biggest concern with the SEC is the officiating we would get in conference play. We've seen it in the ACC for two decades, and I am sick of it. The SEC would do us dirty every chance they got.
I think the SEC officiating would be better than the B1G who I think would treat us poorly like the ACC.
 
From a football standpoint, I have yet to see someone say why the B1G would be better for us.

Money has been floated, as has us playing an easier schedule. But as a football team, which one makes us BETTER?

Arguably the one that gives us better recruits, and better competition.
 
I think the SEC officiating would be better than the B1G who I think would treat us poorly like the ACC.

(y)

Just ask this question regarding B1G officials?

Would they have given that first Hail Mary a second look if it had been a WMU incompletion?

"The Big Ten stands by the statement released following the conclusion of the Western Michigan at Michigan game and the determination made by the replay officials," the Big Ten said Tuesday, via ESPN's Adam Rittenberg. "We will have no further comment on the matter."

How Self Reflection on a Challenging Year Sets Better Goals
 
I see your Vandy, Texas and UiF and raise you Northwestern, Michigan, UCLA, USC and Purdue.

What are the Big Ten schools that compare academically to Alabama, Miss State, Ole Miss, LSU, Missouri and Arkansas? Most of those schools, maybe all, have acceptance rates in the 70+%. Ole Miss is almost 100%.

I'm oversimplifying, but let's not omit the trash schools like Alabama and Ole Miss.
I understand on the whole they don't compare I'm just saying there seems to be room in the conference for the schools that do have high academic standing I haven't seen anything about their standing or prestige taking a hit
 
I understand on the whole they don't compare I'm just saying there seems to be room in the conference for the schools that do have high academic standing I haven't seen anything about their standing or prestige taking a hit
I'll take it to the next level. Selfishly, I don't give a F about the academic reputations nearly as much as I care about hoisting #6. Now if we can hoist #6 while also being a part of a group with higher academics, yippee. If not, I'll still celebrate and talk S to everyone I can.
 
I'll take it to the next level. Selfishly, I don't give a F about the academic reputations nearly as much as I care about hoisting #6. Now if we can hoist #6 while also being a part of a group with higher academics, yippee. If not, I'll still celebrate and talk S to everyone I can.
Don't forget ... part of the OPERATING $$$ SUPPORT FOR UM FOOTBALL is as the MARKETING BRAND OF U HEALTH AND THE UNIVERSITY.
UM will have operating revenue approaching $7 Billion dollars for 2026 ... in large part due to the hospital / health care arm. AND they just received approval for a NEW HOSPITAL ON CAMPUS.

If UM were to move to the B10 conference they would be the 4th largest in terms of operating budget. The major B10 schools are also very involved in hospital / health care and medical research:

-U of Michigan $15.6 Billion (Michigan Medicine = $9.5 B)
-Penn State $11.1 Billion (Health care = large)
-Ohio State $9.2 Billion (Health care)
-U of Miami $6.6 Billion (2026 with U Health)
-Rutgers $6.2 (health care)

UM is a research partner fit with the major B10 schools.
 
I’m ok either way but vote b1g for two reasons:

Pros
Easier schedule
More money

Cons:
Travel
Weather
Cheating(ask wmu) but let’s not ignore bama doing it under saban

Sucks where college sports are heading no matter where Miami lands
We’re talking Midwest weather. You may have 2 cold games if you are scheduled your last 2 in Dec. other than that it isn’t as bas as folks making it out to be.
 
What do you mean by involved? 👀

View attachment 374609

Malachi Toney "OPI" against Central Michigan

Breaking news: ACC Football official reported missing

View attachment 374608
@Thomas
From a football standpoint, I have yet to see someone say why the B1G would be better for us.

Money has been floated, as has us playing an easier schedule. But as a football team, which one makes us BETTER?

Arguably the one that gives us better recruits, and better competition.
lol you Wiln. The glaring variable is the SEC is better narrative that just isn’t accurate. Miami in the B1G increases viewership via tv markets and over time will optimize the strength of the conference ensuring its continued dominance over the SEC, while all rules are equal. Why do you think this PCSA is still alive? So the slave states survive. Imagine having nothing to do on a fall Saturday in Starkville Mississippi. The inflammation is already off the charts.
 
TV ratings drive the deal - to state otherwise is disingenuous. TV ratings and potential audience size are the entire basis of any media deal, and TV ratings are the best indicator of potential audience size.
except when the demographics of the audience are not the targets for certain brands that pay more money to reach said audience... all ratings are not alike ....
 
B1G

More money
Better academic schools
Better cities over all compared to SEC college towns

And I live in OH and hit more games
Southern born and bred. Love the south. But you're right! Some of the college towns in SEC are great (Athens, Oxford). Some are ok (Columbia and Baton Rouge. Obviously talking about the towns themselves not necessarily the game environment. Adding Chapel Hill would be cool as well. BIG has Evanston, Minneapolis, Madison, Iowa City, and Ann Arbor. Berkely, Columbus and LA pretty cool too. Adding LA would be great. Being in IL, means i have direct flights to most from Chicago so I'm biased.
 
I think the SEC officiating would be better than the B1G who I think would treat us poorly like the ACC.
I don't know. The SEC wants to recruit SFLA more than any other conference, and making us suck would help them get talent from the area. I don't trust them, at all. Not that I trust anyone.
 
Back
Top