- Joined
- Sep 5, 2018
- Messages
- 21,236
Exactly my opinion.If all things were equal idk how anyone would not choose the SEC..But we should choose wherever the most money is at
I prefer SEC but I just want the best deal for Miami
Exactly my opinion.If all things were equal idk how anyone would not choose the SEC..But we should choose wherever the most money is at
Haha. Let’s see—— LA, Seattle, Minneapolis or Starkville, Norman, Auburn ?Everyone keeps debating where Miami should end up when the inevitable happens and it’s time to go to a Power 2 conference. Please vote below, and explain why (especially if you prefer the B1G)…
For the purposes of this, I added FSU, Clemson and NC to the SEC, and Notre Dame to the B1G.
I vote for the SEC, and here is why:
1. Roster Footprint
- SEC Territory (~79% of current roster): Nearly 80% of the entire locker room comes from SEC country (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, and North Carolina). That means families can actually drive or catch quick 1-2 hour flights to almost every single road game.
- B1G Territory (~17% of current roster): We pull some talent out of California, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska, but that's still under a fifth of the team. Sending South Florida kids to Eugene, East Lansing, or Iowa City is a much tougher sell for local families, especially in November!
- Other (~4%): Nevada, Virginia, Idaho, and international roots.
2. Travel Math
If Miami visits every road venue in each league:
Joining the Big Ten adds nearly 22,000 extra flight miles (+81%). In fact, just four West Coast trips (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington) equal almost half of an entire SEC schedule.
- SEC: ~26,900 total round-trip miles (~1,790 miles per trip)
- Big Ten: ~48,820 total round-trip miles (~2,870 miles per trip)
3. Culture & Non-Revenue Sports
B1G travel would butcher baseball, soccer, and volleyball schedules with 5-hour midweek flights. Plus, regional SEC matchups (Florida, FSU, Clemson, UNC, LSU, Georgia) match our fan culture far better than cold November trips to Minneapolis or Madison.
Member Teams:
SEC (19): Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt.
Big Ten (19): Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, UCLA, USC, Washington, Wisconsin.
I know about the AAU status, media rights, etc - but looking at it from a pure football standpoint, the SEC makes sense. We’ve played and won National Championships and huge games against Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, FSU, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Texas A&M… I couldn’t say that for 80% of the B1G, except Ohio State, Notre Dame, and maybe a Michigan/UCLA.
Do you really want to go to a game in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Maryland or Ohio in November? Seriously?
I think the SEC officiating would be better than the B1G who I think would treat us poorly like the ACC.My biggest concern with the SEC is the officiating we would get in conference play. We've seen it in the ACC for two decades, and I am sick of it. The SEC would do us dirty every chance they got.
Ok. I didn’t see them in there and so I was just asking as they seem to be a good SEC fit.**** em but I did make a f/u post acknowledging that the SEC is more likely to take FSU and not us than the reverse.
Haha. Let’s see—— LA, Seattle, Minneapolis or Starkville, Norman, Auburn ?
Tough call?
So guys who will play for Miami in the acc won’t in the big 10? Weird logic.Haha. Let’s see—— LA, Seattle, Minneapolis or Starkville, Norman, Auburn ?
Tough call?
Well, considering we get way more recruits from the latter… Yes. Momma Fletcher isn’t the only one that wants to see her kid play.
I think the SEC officiating would be better than the B1G who I think would treat us poorly like the ACC.
So guys who will play for Miami in the acc won’t in the big 10? Weird logic.
I understand on the whole they don't compare I'm just saying there seems to be room in the conference for the schools that do have high academic standing I haven't seen anything about their standing or prestige taking a hitI see your Vandy, Texas and UiF and raise you Northwestern, Michigan, UCLA, USC and Purdue.
What are the Big Ten schools that compare academically to Alabama, Miss State, Ole Miss, LSU, Missouri and Arkansas? Most of those schools, maybe all, have acceptance rates in the 70+%. Ole Miss is almost 100%.
I'm oversimplifying, but let's not omit the trash schools like Alabama and Ole Miss.
I'll take it to the next level. Selfishly, I don't give a F about the academic reputations nearly as much as I care about hoisting #6. Now if we can hoist #6 while also being a part of a group with higher academics, yippee. If not, I'll still celebrate and talk S to everyone I can.I understand on the whole they don't compare I'm just saying there seems to be room in the conference for the schools that do have high academic standing I haven't seen anything about their standing or prestige taking a hit
Don't forget ... part of the OPERATING $$$ SUPPORT FOR UM FOOTBALL is as the MARKETING BRAND OF U HEALTH AND THE UNIVERSITY.I'll take it to the next level. Selfishly, I don't give a F about the academic reputations nearly as much as I care about hoisting #6. Now if we can hoist #6 while also being a part of a group with higher academics, yippee. If not, I'll still celebrate and talk S to everyone I can.