B1G vs. SEC for Miami: Realignment Reality Check - Poll

Choose the conference:


  • Total voters
    268
Y'inz make some arguments for each. I agree that we fit in better with the B1G from a classroom perspective. But football, which is the primary financial athletic driver at UM, is not played in a classroom. From a football optic, I think SEC is a better fit. Aside from logistics, I would love to have games scheduled against UGA, LSU, Florida, and even Texas.
 
Last edited:
First, FSU would have to be invited. Even if that happens, it only guarantees a potential game against FSU, it doesn't guarantee UF would be one of the teams we would play annually. UF already plays FSU yearly, along with UGA.
I think they would make us and FSU the permanent rival games. Currently they have 3 permanent games (UGA, Kentucky and South Carolina). I definitely think they would move Kentucky and South Carolina for FSU and Miami no matter how much Florida complained.
 
I think they would make us and FSU the permanent rival games. Currently they have 3 permanent games (UGA, Kentucky and South Carolina). I definitely think they would move Kentucky and South Carolina for FSU and Miami no matter how much Florida complained.

It’s all about the Benjamin’s, and I know the SEC will make sure that bankroll is full.
 
A lot of folks have similar thoughts ... and I certainly understand it as nice not to have to travel so far to watch your favorite team.

But wouldn't it be wiser for UM to consider accommodating familes and friends of most student-athletes by making their travel to away games less of a grind?
Why would UM accommodate employees instead of customers? That is a good way to loose money, and we all know they don't want to do that. Also, once you have to travel by plane, how much more of a "grind" is an hour or 2 of fight time?
 
Also, I do not care about Florida having an objection to the SEC adding us and maybe even FSU. Third most populous state and you get to be the only representative in the conference? Get ****ed, mate.
 
Why would UM accommodate employees instead of customers? That is a good way to loose money, and we all know they don't want to do that. Also, once you have to travel by plane, how much more of a "grind" is an hour or 2 of fight time?

If you don’t accommodate the players and their families, don’t be surprised if they don’t come to play at the U.
 
Everyone keeps debating where Miami should end up when the inevitable happens and it’s time to go to a Power 2 conference. Please vote below, and explain why (especially if you prefer the B1G)…

For the purposes of this, I added FSU, Clemson and NC to the SEC, and Notre Dame to the B1G.

I vote for the SEC, and here is why:

1. Roster Footprint
  • SEC Territory (~79% of current roster): Nearly 80% of the entire locker room comes from SEC country (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, and North Carolina). That means families can actually drive or catch quick 1-2 hour flights to almost every single road game.
  • B1G Territory (~17% of current roster): We pull some talent out of California, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska, but that's still under a fifth of the team. Sending South Florida kids to Eugene, East Lansing, or Iowa City is a much tougher sell for local families, especially in November!
  • Other (~4%): Nevada, Virginia, Idaho, and international roots.

2. Travel Math

If Miami visits every road venue in each league:
  • SEC: ~26,900 total round-trip miles (~1,790 miles per trip)
  • Big Ten: ~48,820 total round-trip miles (~2,870 miles per trip)
Joining the Big Ten adds nearly 22,000 extra flight miles (+81%). In fact, just four West Coast trips (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington) equal almost half of an entire SEC schedule.

3. Culture & Non-Revenue Sports

B1G travel would butcher baseball, soccer, and volleyball schedules with 5-hour midweek flights. Plus, regional SEC matchups (Florida, FSU, Clemson, UNC, LSU, Georgia) match our fan culture far better than cold November trips to Minneapolis or Madison.

Member Teams:

SEC (19): Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt.

Big Ten (19): Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, UCLA, USC, Washington, Wisconsin.

I know about the AAU status, media rights, etc - but looking at it from a pure football standpoint, the SEC makes sense. We’ve played and won National Championships and huge games against Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, FSU, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Texas A&M… I couldn’t say that for 80% of the B1G, except Ohio State, Notre Dame, and maybe a Michigan/UCLA.

Do you really want to go to a game in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Maryland or Ohio in November? Seriously?
Absolutely. We will never get a fair shake in SEC
 
If FSU go SEC and Miami go B1G I'm sure the rivalry would continue as our one out of conference P4 game.

It would be the exact same setup FSU and UF have right now (they would then be able to play each other as an in-conference rival).

It's in both schools' best interest to keep it going
 
Back
Top