Avantae Williams is not hurt

Advertisement
I thought Balom did some nice things, as did Markeith Williams who quickly shut down a WR screen. Couch looked pretty effective. Tyrique was barely tested but lost the battle when he was. He won’t get thrown at a lot but since he is aggressive, teams will try him deep a couple times per game.

Kinchens is so solid. He’s the guy that you hope never leaves the field.

I thought Balom did some nice things, as did Markeith Williams who quickly shut down a WR screen. Couch looked pretty effective. Tyrique was barely tested but lost the battle when he was. He won’t get thrown at a lot but since he is aggressive, teams will try him deep a couple times per game.

Kinchens is so solid. He’s the guy that you hope never leaves the field.

Kam is the best safety on the roster. Kid balls.

To be fair to everyone, players and coaches, I would hold judgment this early. There will be enough playing time to observe and make evaluations but not in the first game in a new system coming from poor tackling culture going to sound tackling culture.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't even know if you can label James as just a traditional safety. Using him as just that wouldn't be doing justice to him. He is a safety/lb/ rover / star whatever you want to call him, and Steele knows that. I'm excited to see where his play goes as he becomes more comfortable wearing different hats in the new system. He is only going to get better as the game and scheme slows down for him.

These first 2 games are important for him to get all the mistakes and questions out of the way as they move him around trying different things.

Last edited:
The question isn't whether JW belongs, it's how to best utilize his skillset. His highlight reel plays come because he can close quickly (straight-line) and has the length to wow (occasionally). He can be extremely physical when zeroing in on a stationary target.
AGILITY looks to be average (If that), especially for a deep safety. Tackling in space (not an uncommon problem) and pursuit angles appear to need improvement. He just seems better suited to play closer to the LOS (the pick Sat. as an ex.). IMO he's a  hybrid that Steele can utilize as a Swiss army knife. Exactly how is above my paygrade.
The problem, according to smoke, is that he's ABSOLUTELY INSISTENT on remaining a S, even to the point of keeping his weight down (at the expense of adding muscle in the weight room).

JW was clearly an all world HS player. As a traditional deep safety how does he project at the college level moving forward? There have been talented S's with straight-line speed at UM who never sniffed the NFL/accomplished much at that level.

Advertisement
What position do you think he would be better at if he was open to it?

I don’t know how big the kid would be naturally if he were to bulk up. I would put him at linebacker. He’s basically Ray Ray Armstrong, although I think RR was a tad more athletic. I guess you have to give this disclaimer on here so as to not hurt other porsters’ vaginas: I have nothing against the kid, just think he’s one of those square pegs without a position. He will never be an elite safety. Maybe I’m wrong.

Last edited:
JW hype on this board reminds me of Ray Ray Armstrong. Some believed he would succeed at safety regardless of his limitations. Others knew the limitations and pushed for him to be moved to LB. After ever game homers argued did you see that hit tho others would talk about the bad angles and missed tackles

Advertisement
Back