Aunt Becky is the bagman?

Is the prestige of these schools worth the cost? From a purely functional education perspective what do they teach that other schools don't?

Advertisement
Not condoning any of this but is it really any different than Harvard and many others "fixing" entrance requirements for certain students, etc. to maintain their so called admission standards?

Did anyone get bribed when they "fixed" entrance requirement to allow certain students to be admitted? Asking for a friend.

Is it a word you made up or is a legit term? I might have to start using that lol. Is it only for Irish massholes like mick or any race?
I can't take credit for it. I've heard a few people use it before. It's a play on O'Sullivan (similar to Mick on Mc whatever) so it's pretty much limited to Irish massholes.

Aren't they all Irish though?

Advertisement
Let's be honest, money and connections are better determining factors than anything. Rich people cheating and circumventing the rules are an American norm. Does anyone here believe that Bush or Trump had the grades and test scores to get into Yale and Penn? This won't change a thing, but the athletic scholarship thing is a bit weird.
Entrance requirements [gpa / test scores ] for athletes significantly lower than non-athletes,

I can't take credit for it. I've heard a few people use it before. It's a play on O'Sullivan (similar to Mick on Mc whatever) so it's pretty much limited to Irish massholes.

Aren't they all Irish though?

Ahh that makes sense. LMAO ya pretty much. I will definetly be using it next time I see some prick rocking a sox hat.

Advertisement
Here's another one for you, a private high school here in Miami, had more than 1 student up for a scholarship at a rather prestigious northeastern
university - parents were called in, asked for a donation, scholarship goes to biggest donor

Is the prestige of these schools worth the cost? From a purely functional education perspective what do they teach that other schools don't?

i mean in that sense, why do people go to UM when a lesser state school like FIU, FSU, USF, UCF is essentially free?

for the elite institutions like the ivys, ive always thought its about the doors that those schools open (post education career opportunities).

Here's another one for you, a private high school here in Miami, had more than 1 student up for a scholarship at a rather prestigious northeastern
university - parents were called in, asked for a donation, scholarship goes to biggest donor

happens everywhere. dont really get the outrage. is it wrong? absolutely. is it shocking? no, happened since the beginning of time at every school

Who would had thought? Look for Melissa Joan Hart to go down next. She's a big Alabama fan.
This **** is ******* hilarious.... I don't want to hear a ******* thing about an athlete accepting money, esp when they're broke!!!

Advertisement
i mean in that sense, why do people go to UM when a lesser state school like FIU, FSU, USF, UCF is essentially free?

for the elite institutions like the ivys, ive always thought its about the doors that those schools open (post education career opportunities).
That's definitely the reason. My question is why those doors open for an Ivy league degree.

Personally, I went to UM as a transfer student on my company's dime. They offered a CIS degree in the business school whereas the state schools had only computer science. I only had to pay for one year myself after i got laid off.

That's definitely the reason. My question is why those doors open for an Ivy league degree.

Personally, I went to UM as a transfer student on my company's dime. They offered a CIS degree in the business school whereas the state schools had only computer science. I only had to pay for one year myself after i got laid off.

i went to UM with partial ship, grants, and out of pocket money. my reason was bc i was born and raised in miami and i loved canes football. i could've gone to FSU for free, but hated the noles. in hindsight, there isnt much of a diff education wise other than the rankings. i do value the friends i made while at UM though and one of the major reasons i have no regrets. we all have diff reasons tbh and when youre 18, theyre less sensible than the one you made. gotta look at it from diff perspectives.

again, thats not to say that what the parents did was right. it sucks bc it is causing one person not to be admitted, but this happens everywhere. wasnt shocking to me at all.

and to answer your question -- prestige. i had a friend go to harvard law and there is no real difference between emory and harvard in terms of the law. the law is the law. the diff is the rank and prestige. companies like having harvard grads. the friend that went to HLS would tell me that they would get list serv emails from goldman sachs saying to all majors welcome to apply. the entire reason behind all of this is that Harvard is just super old lol

Last edited:

Advertisement
i went to UM with partial ship, grants, and out of pocket money. my reason was bc i was born and raised in miami and i loved canes football. i could've gone to FSU for free, but hated the noles. in hindsight, there isnt much of a diff education wise other than the rankings. i do value the friends i made while at UM though and one of the major reasons i have no regrets. we all have diff reasons tbh and when youre 18, theyre less sensible than the one you made. gotta look at it from diff perspectives.

again, thats not to say that what the parents did was right. it sucks bc it is causing one person not to be admitted, but this happens everywhere. wasnt shocking to me at all.

and to answer your question -- prestige. i had a friend go to harvard law and there is no real difference between emory and harvard in terms of the law. the law is the law. the diff is the rank and prestige. companies like having harvard grads. the friend that went to HLS would tell me that they would get list serv emails from goldman sachs saying to all majors welcome to apply. the entire reason behind all of this is that Harvard is just super old lol
The grants I got that last year are the only reason i was able to finish. They're the reason i continue to donate. It's nice to be able to repay UM because they've done a lot for me.

The grants I got that last year are the only reason i was able to finish. They're the reason i continue to donate. It's nice to be able to repay UM because they've done a lot for me.

UM does a good job in providing aid for sure. only reason i went was bc of the aid they provided making the out of pocket expenses for my parents reasonable.

Don't forget Harvard up north doing what they can to keep the Asians out.

And they [Harvard] are very likely to lose that case...and badly.

I think its up to SCOTUS this year or next.

COULD fundamentally reshape admissions amd affitmative action.

Advertisement
Back