Aunt Becky is the bagman?

Advertisement
Has nothing to do with scholarships. The dude that said that earlier is misinformed. Athletes, as we all know, CAN get preferential admission to schools. In other words, if Kid A has a GPA, SAT, etc that would ordinarily have them on the borderline of being accepted, and then Coach X puts in a good word with the admissions office, that kid is in. Doesn't help if you are no where close to admittable, but if it's close, that extra-curricular or sport can get you over the top. That does NOT mean these kids were getting scholarships, they were just getting admitted to the school under the guise that they would play that sport (and taking someone else's spot).

And yes, rich entitled people will absolutely pay that much and far, far more to give their kids a leg up in life.

Anyone who buys that **** about life being fair or just and education, health care, cell phones and cable bills, or anything else, being a "right", welp, good luck to ya. That's just another way they convince the sheep that "they" are looking out for you.

It looks like this is a big news story today. That post did mention the scholarship thing but I haven’t seen anything else o; it. Does seem there was some fake charities so the rich punks could get a tax decduction for the corrupt payoffs. I agree with all the rest. You have proper reality.

It looks like this is a big news story today. That post did mention the scholarship thing but I haven’t seen anything else o; it. Does seem there was some fake charities so the rich punks could get a tax decduction for the corrupt payoffs. I agree with all the rest. You have proper reality.

Yeah the tax deductions don’t hurt, and are definitely going to strengthen the prosecution case (tax evasion, money laundering, racketeering, etc), but at the end of the day, the “charities” were really just conduits to hide the funneling of money from one party (parents) to another (coaches). As was the case with the Stanford sailing coach, a lot of athletic programs are funded either entirely or largely by these foundations, not the college’s operating budget. When donations flow into Stanford’s sailing foundation, they end up in the paycheck of the coach who manages that foundation (as well as of course the operating budget for that program). It may look and feel cleaner than accepting a brief case full of cash, but the effect is more or less the same at the end of the day.

Read the article. One family paid $500K for the kids to attend USC and be admitted as athletes receiving scholarships for Crew, despite neither of them participating in the sport in high school. $500K for USC? Seems a bit steep.

The kid must be a mental midget. It was probably drop 500k for USC or send his *** to Marshall or community college.

Advertisement
No. Stanford does NOT have scholarships for the sailing team. That is categorically false. Doesn’t matter where you go to school, athletic scholarships are not allowed for sailing. Seriously, where does this information come from?...

Yes, Miami does have a sailing team. Remember Game Day? They were sailing on the lake. They have never really won anything, but have had some very good sailors on the team over the past decade or so.

Thanks for clarifying. I misread where the article referred to Stanford, and assumed the two fake recruits where offered scholarships. It referred to offering admission.

And at Stanford, sailing coach John Vandemoer allegedly agreed to accept hundreds of thousands of dollars for the school’s sailing program to clear the way for two students — who lacked the sailing skills required to compete at the Division 1 level — to become part of his team so they could gain admission to the school.

Last edited:
Apparently it also includes USC, Stanford, Yale, Georgetown, Wake Forest, University of Texas, and University of San Diego. Forty cases so far.

So when celebrities try to tell you the system is stacked in favor of the rich, they mean by them, illegally.

Good, glad to see those loud mouthed bafoons get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I hope they get dragged through the mud. On a separate note, wonder what the NCAA’s response is going to be around this especially with so many of their buddies getting shown to light?

These kids aren't being given athletic scholarships. The sports involved are the non income generating sports - other than the 3 kids involved in football (kicker, long snappers) at USC. The issue is these kids had their resumes falsified to imply they were being recruited by the coaches as candidates for these teams. In most cases, it is like a walk-on athlete. The problem is they received preferential treatment in the admissions process because they were allegedly being recruited. They still paid for school - they just wouldn't have been granted admission without the athletic aspect. In essence, they took spots from kids who legitimately qualified but got denied due to admissions numbers.

The bribery and pay offs to coaches, administrators and proctors of the standardized testing is another whole issue.

So let my understand, down in the south, schools pay black kids hundreds of thousands of dollars to come to their school. Meanwhile on the elite coasts, rich elite parents pay millions of dollars to steal scholarships from same black kids. Man, this is just ***@@@ up.

You realize that the kids that apply to the elite coastal schools, and the kids playing ball in the SEC are two different classes of kids, right? Let's be honest, this is news only because it's so incredibly stupid how it was handled. These parents could have easily gone to the development office and made a "Donation" and in a lot of cases, the kids would have gotten the same boost. That's perfectly legal, and no one would have known. Think about it, you really think that William H. Macy's daughter wouldn't have been admitted to a drama program at a top end school? Just if he would have agreed to speak and hold a couple of workshops at the school, that would have been enough, along with that big *** check.

Development admits happen everywhere, even UMiami, it's just that these parents didn't want their kids to be associated with that, so they decided to go this route. I'll never get why, anyone that spends ten seconds around Aunt Becky's dumbass daughter knows she isn't at SC for the education. She's there to ride frat boy D, and tailgate in the fall.

Advertisement
Don't forget Harvard up north doing what they can to keep the Asians out.

By the way, there's been discussion that there's been some widespread cheating on the SAT in asian countries, similar crap going on in China among their wealthy class. Harvard isn't doing what they can to keep Asians out, they just take a wide variety of people. Guess what, tons of qualified White, hispanic and black kids get turned away too. No one gives a **** about those kids. Look at how many valedictorians are denied entry at Harvard every year. No admissions process involves taking everyone above a certain test/GPA line, and that's exactly what that case is about.

The issue with Harvard is that the rejected Asians have been rejected because of a "personal rating". Would anyone tolerate that if they were black?

The issue with Harvard is that the rejected Asians have been rejected because of a "personal rating". Would anyone tolerate that if they were black?

Kids all over the country get turned down from Harvard based on all kind of crazy crap. For example, in my day Harvard required applicants to be interviewed by an alum. Who knows how many kids were sunk by an interviewer that just didn't like them for whatever reason. Could some of those have been based on race? **** yes, and no one cared then or now. I've been fortunate enough to be on speaking terms with some admissions counselors, and they've told me to a man "Asians unfortunately have a perception problem in University admissions. A lot are extremely similar, in regards to resume and accomplishments". The Asians that have a compelling story, that are truly unique tend to do well in University admissions, but the stereotypical grade grubbing, "I want to be pre-med" types are the ones that are finding problems. Those kids in general, regardless of race are finding problems, because no one wants to build a freshman class around those kids. Remember the following: Asians are OVERREPRESENTED in regards to the Harvard student body, if you were to compare to the overall population.

Lori Loughlin wasn't arrested....her husband was. Not condoning any of this but is it really any different than Harvard and many others "fixing" entrance requirements for certain students, etc. to maintain their so called admission standards?

Advertisement
Apparently it also includes USC, Stanford, Yale, Georgetown, Wake Forest, University of Texas, and University of San Diego. Forty cases so far.

So when celebrities try to tell you the system is stacked in favor of the rich, they mean by them, illegally.
I'm sure Wake is basking in this attention. Should boost admissions there, being equated with Yale, G'town and Stanford.

Advertisement
Kids all over the country get turned down from Harvard based on all kind of crazy crap. For example, in my day Harvard required applicants to be interviewed by an alum. Who knows how many kids were sunk by an interviewer that just didn't like them for whatever reason. Could some of those have been based on race? **** yes, and no one cared then or now. I've been fortunate enough to be on speaking terms with some admissions counselors, and they've told me to a man "Asians unfortunately have a perception problem in University admissions. A lot are extremely similar, in regards to resume and accomplishments". The Asians that have a compelling story, that are truly unique tend to do well in University admissions, but the stereotypical grade grubbing, "I want to be pre-med" types are the ones that are finding problems. Those kids in general, regardless of race are finding problems, because no one wants to build a freshman class around those kids. Remember the following: Asians are OVERREPRESENTED in regards to the Harvard student body, if you were to compare to the overall population.
I could not believe how many Asian people live in Cambridge and the surrounding Boston area. When I went there, I was expecting a bunch of Sully's and Mick's drunk off their asses wearing Bird jerseys but not even close. Being from south Florida, I had never seen that many Asian people in one area. I'm aware that Boston has a China town but I'm talking about the surrounding areas that have a large college student population.

Yes but, SC? They haven’t beaten anyone of note since Reggie Bush left.

Good money after bad. FAU would kick their asses.

I could not believe how many Asian people live in Cambridge and the surrounding Boston area. When I went there, I was expecting a bunch of Sully's and Mick's drunk off their asses wearing Bird jerseys but not even close. Being from south Florida, I had never seen that many Asian people in one area. I'm aware that Boston has a China town but I'm talking about the surrounding areas that have a large college student population.

What the **** is a sully?

People are disgusting. What kind of parent does this sht for their kids and raises them to think this is ok? I promise it won't only be lack of money that keeps me from pulling this sht with my kids. I would hate myself for raising an entitled little sht like this girl. When she says "work" does she mean modeling or some sht? Because it takes a special kind of person to call modeling or acting work. Yeah, it's kinda hard, but you get paid a ton and you don't have to get dirty and your fingers will never get cut off. You are also unlikely to get black lung, mesothelioma, or ebola. Seriously, people do sht that's 50x harder for 50x less money, but she wouldn't know that because her parents protect her from anything uncomfortable.
Rich people problems.

Advertisement
Back