At what point in '01 did you know we were winning it all?

went to one of the summer practices that summer as a hs senior....they were not in pads...but practiced like it..i was impressed as ****.

Advertisement
Wilford dropping the 2 point conversion and Portis nailing the door shut...I knew then!

Just got to thinking today about how much fun that season was and how awesome that team was and the ride we went on. I think when we went into the Swamp and ran away in the second half was when I knew we had a Championship coming.
The Swamp Stomp occurred in 2002 and that season ended with us being robbed of a national title by the most egregiously horrible call in the entire history of sports.

BC was inside our 20 and driving for the winning TD with less than 1 minute remaining. BC QB Brian St.Pierre had his throw bounce off of Mike Rumph's knee pad and into the hands of Matt Walters who was stripped by Ed Reed who proceeded to race into the end zone to seal the win and preserve our undefeated season and No1. ranking. That's when I knew that those kids would never allow use to lose. The internal leadership on that squad was so rare and very special. I think it is that aspect of the 2001 National Championship team that is most often overlooked and is the reason I would put that squad up against anybody.

Advertisement
right after Sugar Bowl victory I said barring injury we were going to win the next 2 championships at the very least

the question going into 2001 was the loss of two all-time great WR's(Moss and Wayne) and the programs most decorated linebacker(Dan Morgan) those were about the only questions on the field. The question was Larry Coker.

All the other pieces were in place.

I still remember being at the Champs Sports Grills(remember those?) in West Covina with some friends and thinking to myself as the Penn State opener reached halftime,'****, they got the horses to go all the way this season.' They just had the look and they were good and focused enough that even Coker wasn't going to ***** this up(that would happen later on)

Advertisement
In July 2004 when Negrodamus finally came out with his prophecy for the 2001 season.

I was a little ****ed at the time, after making me wait so long.

I'm good, though. I just got his latest prophecy that we will sign our 2018 QB, Art Sitkowski. He's expected to have a big senior year at IMG. A good prophecy, better late than never.

Hahahahaha. Hilarious. I knew in '97 when we went 5-6 we would not be denied.....no one knew ****e. I knew at halftime of the Rose Bowl Miami would win the NC and not a second sooner.

Was in school at the time and watched a ton of practices. It was clear there was something extremely unique about the team during Spring. Willis Mcgahee had looked like freakin' OJ Simpson during Spring practices and couldn't crack the lineup during the regular season. P-Buch and Andre Johnson looked like they were out of this world. You could have convinced me Shockey was a 7 year NFL veteran TE. The DL was the key in showing we'd at least be favored in all games. The list really goes on. Probably will never see something like that again. Wish we would.

As always, I knew before the season we would win the championship. I know this every year. OK, sometimes I am wrong. But, in 2001 was was right.

Again!

Advertisement
The season was going great.

Sure the wins against FSU and Ped State boosted my confidence, BUT we always seemed to have a letdown game against someone we should easily beat.

I knew it was coming and it came against BC.

We were up 12-7 and driving from our 27.

We converted a 3-13, Three 3-7's and two 3-5's down to BC's 30. I thought it was all over but then Frank Gore fumbled with 2:19 left.

BC drove down to our 9 yard line with 30 seconds left...then Matt Walters intercepted the pass and stumbled downfield, the rest is history. So I knew when Ed Reed crossed the goal line .....after taking the ball from Walters and went 80 yards for the TD.

Until that play, truthfully, I hoped and prayed but wasn't sure. That play let me know that the football gods were with us and that this was a very special team.

This. I was at that game and everybody felt BC was going to score on that drive. When Reed crossed the goal line and spiked the ball, outside of the Miami contingent you could hear a pin drop in that place. Destiny. We would not be denied.

Advertisement
Right after James Lewis' pick 6 in the Rose Bowl. Then and only then was I sure we had #5.

Go Canes!

As much as I want to say stomping FSU 49-27 at Doak...it was real when we exacted the Lord's vengeance on Washington. After that 65-7 murking of the #12 team that had cost us so much the season before...I knew our boys were not going to be denied.

I agree with UW. Against QB Cody Pickett, right? Played against that guy in high school.

When the bcs came out and put fsu in the nc vs Oklahoma.that team had the swag of our glory day teams.don't **** us off and give us all off season to steam about it.aka 87 after pennst loss aka 89 after the 88 nd fiasco.history lesson for college football don't get us mad or you'll pay the consequences.

Season opener @ Penn St. Penn had a special ceremony for Adam telefrnio or whatever the *** his name was. Kid who injured his neck the year before of whatever. People were predicting an upset............... Miami up 30-0 at half time showing mercy LMAO

Advertisement
Back