At what point in '01 did you know we were winning it all?

He played some in the Sugar Bowl as well didn't he? Prob his first action away from the OB.

I could be wrong. Several thousand pounds of mary jane have processed through my system since then.

I think you mean the Gator Bowl against GT.

I think Kenny Kelly recovered from his knee sprain and started the game. Dorsey did play, though.

Advertisement
By the end of the 2000 season I knew Miami was not only the best team in the nation in 2000 but would be the best team in the nation in 2001 too.

Side note: I talked to a couple of Nebraska fans when they played down here a few years back. They told me Miami could have picked their score in the 01 championship game and they thought it was very classy that they didn't feel the need to blow out Nebraska by 50 when they had the championship in the bag. Anybody who watched that game knew it was over from the opening kickoff. I mean who gets a chance to play their reserves in a national championship game?

When we kicked the gator butt in sugar bowl. It drove Steve to nfl. Strangely, I felt the same thing after nole game this year and then Jimbo ran away too. I think we take it all this year— not the domination like that team, but a NC anyway.

spurrier left after the 01 season when the gators got beat the vols at home 34-32

ironically that game broke my heart as a gator fan at the time. I was torn between miami and florida being a gainesville native, and that game is the moment I realized the gators didn't have it in em'. Go watch that game on youtube sometime, to this day I can't believe they let the vols come in there and absolutely physically maul them like that ( well well over 200 yards rushing that game ).

it was that game that I thought "there's no way in **** miami would ever let someone come in to their home turf with a loaded team like that and get handled the way they just did"

it was a turning point for me as I stopped watching gator games and started watching hurricane games from then on

spurrier left after the 01 season when the gators got beat the vols at home 34-32

ironically that game broke my heart as a gator fan at the time. I was torn between miami and florida being a gainesville native, and that game is the moment I realized the gators didn't have it in em'. Go watch that game on youtube sometime, to this day I can't believe they let the vols come in there and absolutely physically maul them like that ( well well over 200 yards rushing that game ).

it was that game that I thought "there's no way in **** miami would ever let someone come in to their home turf with a loaded team like that and get handled the way they just did"

it was a turning point for me as I stopped watching gator games and started watching hurricane games from then on

I think he decided earlier. Steve is smart man. He knew that as much talent as there is in FL, there is still only enough for one team on the top, one climbing and one on the way down. Swamp slime( sorry, I was in the OB for the flop) were clearly the one on the way down. The season confirmed it. As much as I hate all things gator, Steve is about the coolest coach I’ve ever seen. O loved his comment about his resume being in the trophy case.

Advertisement
Just got to thinking today about how much fun that season was and how awesome that team was and the ride we went on. I think when we went into the Swamp and ran away in the second half was when I knew we had a Championship coming.
Huh? The swamp? Wrong year buddy... But to answer your question.... It was the Ed Reed bc game

I think he decided earlier. Steve is smart man. He knew that as much talent as there is in FL, there is still only enough for one team on the top, one climbing and one on the way down. Swamp slime( sorry, I was in the OB for the flop) were clearly the one on the way down. The season confirmed it. As much as I hate all things gator, Steve is about the coolest coach I’ve ever seen. O loved his comment about his resume being in the trophy case.

I've always loved steve

I found out when he left that I wasn't a gator fan, I was a spurrier fan

I remember on the flight back from LA hearing about Spurrier and we swore he did it then to take some of the thunder away from Miami.
I also recall how incredibly ****y the Nebraska fans were, they were really friendly, but sure they were going to beat us, all I could think was haven't you learned your lesson against Miami at this point. We could have named the score in that game.

Advertisement
Just got to thinking today about how much fun that season was and how awesome that team was and the ride we went on. I think when we went into the Swamp and ran away in the second half was when I knew we had a Championship coming.
2000 sugar bowl game, thats when I knew. TBH during WR3 I thought they couldnt hold us out of the natty after that. Wasnt WR3 in 2000? Yeah

At the end of the '00 season, I thought we had a good shot.

Wasn't sure at the start of the season because of Larry Coker.

Then we went 63-7 against two top 25 teams back to back.

Then I thought, "Nevermind, we're good."

Advertisement
It was a crazy year since 9-11 occured and I have family in NYC so football was not on my mind as a priority most of that football year.

But once things came back to relative normality I would say once we kicked F$U's **** at the Doak I knew we would win it all.

September 23, 2000

Responding to the at Washington loss, the Canes go to Morgantown two weeks later and win 47-10.

I knew it the minute we blew out FSU, had a quick second thought late into 4th quarter at BC, not gonna lie I was nervous going into Nebraska.

Advertisement
The season was going great.

Sure the wins against FSU and Ped State boosted my confidence, BUT we always seemed to have a letdown game against someone we should easily beat.

I knew it was coming and it came against BC.

We were up 12-7 and driving from our 27.

We converted a 3-13, Three 3-7's and two 3-5's down to BC's 30. I thought it was all over but then Frank Gore fumbled with 2:19 left.

BC drove down to our 9 yard line with 30 seconds left...then Matt Walters intercepted the pass and stumbled downfield, the rest is history. So I knew when Ed Reed crossed the goal line .....after taking the ball from Walters and went 80 yards for the TD.

Until that play, truthfully, I hoped and prayed but wasn't sure. That play let me know that the football gods were with us and that this was a very special team.

Last edited:
I knew December 3rd, 2000 after the final BCS rankings came out and FSU was ahead of us. That's when I knew.

I knew in the third quarter...against Nebraska.

I knew pre-kickoff at the Rose Bowl. Something was in the air that night. No doubt Miami was gonna roll big.

Four interceptions at a miracle needed at Boston College to survive. Throttled Syracuse and Washington after that (124-7), but playing at No. 14 Virginia Tech was no gimme. Especially after losing 5 of the past 7 against them.

Once the Canes survived the Hokies in Blacksburg, didn't matter who UM was playing—one month to prepare, The U was gonna slaughter whoever was across that field.

Advertisement
Back