Artie Burns

im comfortable with jenkins playing safety, i like burns at corner pushing howard or taking his spot. i hope howard lives up to his expectations though.

Advertisement
I'm comfortable with Jenkins playing safety, i like burns at corner pushing howard or taking his spot. i hope howard lives up to his expectations though.

I like Bush and Jenkins at safety as well. I think Deon is a stud and "should" hold his spot down, but Jamal and Artie will push these upperclassman to be their best, which is EXACTLY what we've been waiting for. I still think Artie is best at 1 on 1 lock down. But let's see how the transition goes. Our top 3 CB's are no slouches either.

crossover22[]_[];1497178 said:
Could he play safety? we have a ton of cbs

Not really.

We have Gunter who's proven. Then we have Howard and Crawford who are both pushing; but are very, very young and barely tested.

Then we have Dortch and Hope who aren't tested at all. CB isn't all that decided and there's PT available.

i am not sure I would say Crawford and Howard arent tested. I mean, they werent starters but they played a good amount.

What's with the Jenkins love?

He may be a good athlete, but I don't remember him jumping out during games. Made some nice tackles in pursuit but he wasn't making many plays. Bush is the only safety who stood out and that's because he was drilling ball carriers.

Advertisement

He may be a good athlete, but I don't remember him jumping out during games. Made some nice tackles in pursuit but he wasn't making many plays. Bush is the only safety who stood out and that's because he was drilling ball carriers.

In limited time at the end of the season, jenkins showed flashes of potential we haven't seen here in awhile. He was raw and basically just chasing the ball instead of anticipating the play, but he was a missile when he locked onto whoever had the ball. If he learns to diagnose plays and be alittle more patient he'll be the best safety we've had here in YEARS!

Its about potential.. With Rodgers, Highsmith, Telemaque, and any other upperclassmen, I think we can all agree that we've pretty much seen all we are gonna get

At the recent Hurricane Club lunch, Golden (unsolicited) singled him and Deon out for their play, and said that Safety was extremely tough on Freshmen.

Jenkins isnt a lock to start imo but he has a lot of potential. Big and athletic... He started to make plays in games toward the end of last season and made a nice int against Duke.

I'm comfortable with Jenkins playing safety, i like burns at corner pushing howard or taking his spot. i hope howard lives up to his expectations though.

I like Bush and Jenkins at safety as well. I think Deon is a stud and "should" hold his spot down, but Jamal and Artie will push these upperclassman to be their best, which is EXACTLY what we've been waiting for. I still think Artie is best at 1 on 1 lock down. But let's see how the transition goes. Our top 3 CB's are no slouches either.

I agree with you statement bout Burns, but then again many thought that Bush was best served at CB and he is a S.

Advertisement

In limited time at the end of the season, jenkins showed flashes of potential we haven't seen here in awhile. He was raw and basically just chasing the ball instead of anticipating the play, but he was a missile when he locked onto whoever had the ball. If he learns to diagnose plays and be alittle more patient he'll be the best safety we've had here in YEARS!

Its about potential.. With Rodgers, Highsmith, Telemaque, and any other upperclassmen, I think we can all agree that we've pretty much seen all we are gonna get
Not saying the kid isn't gonna be good, because I like his potential, but people were saying the same thing about VT after his freshman campaign.

And
15.gif

Personally I would like to see Burns at corner. If his skills develop he could turn into that Antrel Rolle type long cover corner because this kid is mega talented. If he can't cover as good as a few others, then you put him at safety. I see burns as a corner though and it wouldn't surprise me if he played alot of nickel like Brandon Harris did his freshmen year.

Advertisement
I think this kid is a CB all the way. He has the hight, weight, speed, and athletic ability to be a All American at CB.

2nd favorite recruit behind Grace, and the only other current recruit who was on my list of Top 10 Florida defensive recruits over the last 3 years.

Would you mind posting that list again, by chance?

Off the top of my head, here's how I'd rank the state of Florida's defensive prospects (coming out of high school) in the last 5 years:

Matthew Thomas
2. Corey Lemonier
3. Haha Clinton-Dix
4. Tim Jernigan
5. Christian Jones
6. Aaron Lynch
7. Matt Elam
Artie Burns
9. Leonard Williams
10. Karlos Williams

Tracy Howard, PJ Williams, Dante Fowler and a few others could be argued in. I also almost undoubtedly forgot a few guys. I'd need to go back to a database to see all the names.

The main "controversy" revolved around VHIII. I didn't forget him. I think he's going to be very solid. I just consider his ceiling to be lower, so he just fell out of the list around where Tracy Howard would be.

Advertisement

Not saying the kid isn't gonna be good, because I like his potential, but people were saying the same thing about VT after his freshman campaign.

Unlike a lot of other, similar situations, VT actually did flash potential in his freshman year.

He just never grew from it. He stayed at that freshman level for a year or two, and then regressed.

I think people were surprised to find out how unathletic VT actually was, though. Bush and Jenkins are both confirmed superior athletic talents, while Telemaque simply received the benefit of the doubt because he was a 4 star recruit.

2nd favorite recruit behind Grace, and the only other current recruit who was on my list of Top 10 Florida defensive recruits over the last 3 years.

Off the top of my head, here's how I'd rank the state of Florida's defensive prospects (coming out of high school) in the last 5 years:

Matthew Thomas
2. Corey Lemonier
3. Haha Clinton-Dix
4. Tim Jernigan
5. Christian Jones
6. Aaron Lynch
7. Matt Elam
Artie Burns
9. Leonard Williams
10. Karlos Williams

Tracy Howard, PJ Williams, Dante Fowler and a few others could be argued in. I also almost undoubtedly forgot a few guys. I'd need to go back to a database to see all the names.

The main "controversy" revolved around VHIII. I didn't forget him. I think he's going to be very solid. I just consider his ceiling to be lower, so he just fell out of the list around where Tracy Howard would be.

Thank you. I guess I misunderstood and thought you said that Grace was also in that top 10. It's why I asked, I was surprised you had Grace that high. I thought he was real good but not that good......

Matthew Thomas
2. Corey Lemonier
3. Haha Clinton-Dix
4. Tim Jernigan
5. Christian Jones
6. Aaron Lynch
7. Matt Elam
Artie Burns
9. Leonard Williams
10. Karlos Williams

Thank you. I guess I misunderstood and thought you said that Grace was also in that top 10. It's why I asked, I was surprised you had Grace that high. I thought he was real good but not that good......

Nah, he's just my favorite recruit. I can't objectively say he's the best prospect, though.

*To be fair, Grace's not even in the top 3 prospects of this year for UM. I have Burns, AQM and Coley all above him. I have him slightly ahead of Carter, but that's debatable.

Last edited:
during under armour practice when all they talked about was VH3. Deon sanders said artie was the best. even though he is fsu, i will take that endorsement

Advertisement
Back