Article: Jedd Fisch Is Gone.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280607 said:
Jedd Fisch wasn't a perfect play-caller, but he was pretty **** good, he was young, smart and full of potential that he was actually realizing. There's a reason he got hired to be an OC for an NFL team. You can have faults with some of the things he did, but if you really think he wasn't a good OC, then you know nothing.

Actually, the fact that you're asking for Cristobal to be our OC shows me that you know nothing. Come on man.

I know that if you think Fisch didn't cost us the UVA and UNC game you know nothing. I know that if you think we should lose games when we avg over 5 yds a carry you know nothing. I know that if you think running it less than we throw is smart when we have two great backs and a strong o-line you know nothing.

Last years top ten all ran it at least 55% of the time, we ran it 45% of the time and we finished unranked.
You cant average 5 yards per carry if you arent able to throw the ball well. We lost the UVA game because our defense couldnt make a stop.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Alabama or LSU or UF or FSU. The run sets up the pass it is not the other way around unless you are outmatched physically on the o-line.

In most games this season we had the advantage at the LOS. Only against ND and FSU were we outmatched at the point of attack. I think we had the horses to run on KST but you could count them too if you want

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280526 said:
I know this is probably an unpopular view but I didn't care for Jedd Fisch at all.

He didn't run the ball near enough. I don't care at all that he was able to put up big numbers our defense was also a sieve and he got a lot of series to stack numbers. He came up short against KState and ND and he helped NC State get back in the game by being a dumbass.

He ran too many trick plays that we didn't need, didn't give the ball to Mike James nearly enough, had an aversion to pounding the rock even if it was something we could do, and had no concept of conserving momentum.

Two clear examples of his Jackassery. The 3 and out vs Virginia late in the game when we had run all over em and the screen pass against UNC in their territory that bounced off Mike James's helmet when we had just had two consecutive first down carries. I'm glad he's gone I just wish it hadn't happened so close to signing day.

If we give Cristobal the OC job or bring in someone that runs a more smashmouth prostyle offense we will be better and more efficient than we were last season.

Cristobal to OC I vehementally disagree with though

I'm not a huge proponent of Cristobal as OC but I liked the way his FIU teams played. I am hugely for hiring a guy that has a run first mentality and runs a prostyle offense.

No spread, no oopdy scoop crap. I will always maintain that for Miami to get back to winning championships we will have to get away from throwing it 40 times a game.

I know this is probably an unpopular view but I didn't care for Jedd Fisch at all.

He didn't run the ball near enough. I don't care at all that he was able to put up big numbers our defense was also a sieve and he got a lot of series to stack numbers. He came up short against KState and ND and he helped NC State get back in the game by being a dumbass.

He ran too many trick plays that we didn't need, didn't give the ball to Mike James nearly enough, had an aversion to pounding the rock even if it was something we could do, and had no concept of conserving momentum.

Two clear examples of his Jackassery. The 3 and out vs Virginia late in the game when we had run all over em and the screen pass against UNC in their territory that bounced off Mike James's helmet when we had just had two consecutive first down carries. I'm glad he's gone I just wish it hadn't happened so close to signing day.

If we give Cristobal the OC job or bring in someone that runs a more smashmouth prostyle offense we will be better and more efficient than we were last season.
I agree that at times he tried to get a little "too cute" with his trick plays an such, but as for the "didnt run the ball enough" bit, I disagree 100%. He did what any good OC would do, and took what the defense gave him. You dont run the ball just for the sake of running the ball. Thats no different than when Patrick Nix tried to run a spread offense despite the fact he didnt have the personnel to run it. The problem was the defense. The fact we scored so quickly, so often is a sign that he knew what he was doing and knew how to exploit the defense. The problem is that our defense typically also allowed quick scores and didnt take the ball away enough. The truth is that if it wasnt for his play calling and his ability to finds holes in the defense which created quick scores, we could have easily lost a couple games we won. We beat BC, GT, NCSt and Duke despite them having the ball longer. UVA beat is at the last second and they also had the ball alot longer than we did. If we tried to run the ball more just for the sake of running the ball, instead of taking the big play when we could get it, we likely dont win those games.

Miami won't be back until they're able to run the ball even when the defense knows it's coming. Every champion the last 10 years was able to do that.

We need our offense to at least be running the ball more than 50% of the time. The timings really crappy but I'm not upset about Fisch leaving.

Thank you sir for sharing my sensible opinion

I read through about the first 8 pages. As down as I feel about Fisch leaving, I'm not concerned about Ol' Al finding another humdinger. The dude is deep in some network of personnel I can't imagine. If anything I'm excited to see if he can do even better with this next hire.

If the recruits don't flee, and current players aren't too broke up, I can see even better things happening next season.

I agree that at times he tried to get a little "too cute" with his trick plays an such, but as for the "didnt run the ball enough" bit, I disagree 100%. He did what any good OC would do, and took what the defense gave him. You dont run the ball just for the sake of running the ball. Thats no different than when Patrick Nix tried to run a spread offense despite the fact he didnt have the personnel to run it. The problem was the defense. The fact we scored so quickly, so often is a sign that he knew what he was doing and knew how to exploit the defense. The problem is that our defense typically also allowed quick scores and didnt take the ball away enough. The truth is that if it wasnt for his play calling and his ability to finds holes in the defense which created quick scores, we could have easily lost a couple games we won. We beat BC, GT, NCSt and Duke despite them having the ball longer. UVA beat is at the last second and they also had the ball alot longer than we did. If we tried to run the ball more just for the sake of running the ball, instead of taking the big play when we could get it, we likely dont win those games.

Sir you couldn't be more wrong, you do run the ball just for the sake of running it. If you ever get the chance to spend ten seconds around a credible coach ask him that very question. Do you run the ball just for the sake of running it? Meanwhile Mike James bulls his way inside the ten in the NFLPA game receiving rave reviews.

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280668 said:
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280607 said:
Jedd Fisch wasn't a perfect play-caller, but he was pretty **** good, he was young, smart and full of potential that he was actually realizing. There's a reason he got hired to be an OC for an NFL team. You can have faults with some of the things he did, but if you really think he wasn't a good OC, then you know nothing.

Actually, the fact that you're asking for Cristobal to be our OC shows me that you know nothing. Come on man.

I know that if you think Fisch didn't cost us the UVA and UNC game you know nothing. I know that if you think we should lose games when we avg over 5 yds a carry you know nothing. I know that if you think running it less than we throw is smart when we have two great backs and a strong o-line you know nothing.

Last years top ten all ran it at least 55% of the time, we ran it 45% of the time and we finished unranked.
You cant average 5 yards per carry if you arent able to throw the ball well. We lost the UVA game because our defense couldnt make a stop.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Alabama or LSU or UF or FSU. The run sets up the pass it is not the other way around unless you are outmatched physically on the o-line.

In most games this season we had the advantage at the LOS. Only against ND and FSU were we outmatched at the point of attack. I think we had the horses to run on KST but you could count them too if you want
If you have a good passing game, the running game will set that up for you. If the defense is playing the run because you are running well, then the right call is to throw the ball and make them stop you. As we saw in multiple games this year, we were running the ball well, and as a result were able to throw the ball downfield and make good things happen, like score quickly. Also the reason why we were able to house a couple a long runs is because the defense was playing the pass and we were able to take advantage of it. You dont just run the ball for the sake of running the ball. A good OC is a guy who can call plays based on what the defense is going to give him to play against.

GT and Air Force run the ball for the sake of running the ball, remind me again how much success they have had over the years? They are 6 or 7 win teams. Thats what happens when you run just for the sake of running the ball.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280692 said:

Sir you couldn't be more wrong, you do run the ball just for the sake of running it. If you ever get the chance to spend ten seconds around a credible coach ask him that very question. Do you run the ball just for the sake of running it? Meanwhile Mike James bulls his way inside the ten in the NFLPA game receiving rave reviews.
Why has Peyton Manning been so successful? Hes able to audible based on what the defense is giving him. Any good OC will do the same thing. With the offense we have, we can strike through the air just as easily as we can on the ground, thats a good problem to have. So when the defense is playing you to run the ball, you throw it and score quickly and cover 70 yards. I dont see how thats a problem. 3rd and 3 and the defense thinks you are running, a screen or play action is a good play. The problem is that if it doesnt work, most fans who cant see past the result of the play, think its a bad play and think the coach is incompetent.

Last edited:

Why has Peyton Manning been so successful? Hes able to audible based on what the defense is giving him. Any good OC will do the same thing. With the offense we have, we can strike through the air just as easily as we can on the ground, thats a good problem to have. So when the defense is playing you to run the ball, you throw it and score quickly and cover 70 yards. I dont see how thats a problem.

When you missfire and go 3 and out when you needed to burn some clock, that's the problem. Or when you are running effectively but rather than really suck the defense in you get an itchy trigger finger and kill the momentum of a drive by not sticking with the run. What makes it worse is the fact that you were able to run even if they put 8 in the box.

I'm never mad about second and ten from a run play but I m furious when we throw on first down and it goes incomplete. Two three times a game not a problem, we do need to keep em guessin a bit. Fisch on the other threw more on 1st down then he ran and IMHO that is stupid and the talent was the main reason his mistakes weren't exposed.

Why has Peyton Manning been so successful? Hes able to audible based on what the defense is giving him. Any good OC will do the same thing. With the offense we have, we can strike through the air just as easily as we can on the ground, thats a good problem to have. So when the defense is playing you to run the ball, you throw it and score quickly and cover 70 yards. I dont see how thats a problem. 3rd and 3 and the defense thinks you are running, a screen or play action is a good play. The problem is that if it doesnt work, most fans who cant see past the result of the play, think its a bad play and think the coach is incompetent.

Would pick this porst apart but i ingested a copious amount of cocaine last night and just don't have the energy.

Advertisement
look at the o line, run the ******* ball...lol use the te...morris will do the rest...keep the playbook

Here is the NFL pass-to-run ratio since 1980:

Year Pass Ratio Run Ratio
1980 50.60% 49.40%
1981 51.17% 48.83%
1982 52.57% 47.43%
1983 51.78% 48.22%
1984 53.10% 46.90%
1985 53.56% 46.44%
1986 53.70% 46.30%
1987 52.53% 47.47%
1988 52.76% 47.24%
1989 54.17% 45.83%
1990 53.96% 46.04%
1991 54.89% 45.11%
1992 54.20% 45.80%
1993 54.95% 45.05%
1994 56.03% 43.97%
1995 57.39% 42.61%
1996 55.67% 44.33%
1997 55.46% 44.54%
1998 55.17% 44.83%
1999 57.07% 42.93%
2000 56.21% 43.79%
2001 55.98% 44.02%
2002 56.70% 43.30%
2003 54.79% 45.21%
2004 54.88% 45.12%
2005 55.11% 44.89%
2006 54.85% 45.15%
2007 56.47% 43.53%
2008 55.43% 44.57%
2009 56.28% 43.72%
2010 56.93% 43.07%
2011 57.10% 42.90%

Last edited:
Here is the NFL pass-to-run ratio since 1980:

Year Pass Ratio Run Ratio
1980 50.60% 49.40%
1981 51.17% 48.83%
1982 52.57% 47.43%
1983 51.78% 48.22%
1984 53.10% 46.90%
1985 53.56% 46.44%
1986 53.70% 46.30%
1987 52.53% 47.47%
1988 52.76% 47.24%
1989 54.17% 45.83%
1990 53.96% 46.04%
1991 54.89% 45.11%
1992 54.20% 45.80%
1993 54.95% 45.05%
1994 56.03% 43.97%
1995 57.39% 42.61%
1996 55.67% 44.33%
1997 55.46% 44.54%
1998 55.17% 44.83%
1999 57.07% 42.93%
2000 56.21% 43.79%
2001 55.98% 44.02%
2002 56.70% 43.30%
2003 54.79% 45.21%
2004 54.88% 45.12%
2005 55.11% 44.89%
2006 54.85% 45.15%
2007 56.47% 43.53%
2008 55.43% 44.57%
2009 56.28% 43.72%
2010 56.93% 43.07%
2011 57.10% 42.90%

Now do this for the Super Bowl champions and tell me how it turns out. Then do it for the National champions...

Well the Giants were passing it 56.85% of the time when they won it last year, and the Packers were passing it 58.28% of the time when they won it the year before.

That good enough for you?

Advertisement
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS SINCE 1996
TEAM YEAR PASS % RANK RUN % RANK

Green Bay ---1996---55.8%---15---44.2%---16
Denver--------1997---51.3%---24---48.7%----7
Denver--------1998---49.6%---27---50.4%----4
St. Louis------1999---56.6%---18---43.4%---14
Baltimore-----2000---51.7%---23---48.3%----9
New England-2001----52.8%--24---47.3%----8
Tampa Bay---2002----59.5%---8--- 40.5%---25
New England-2003----54.6%--19---45.4%---14
New England-2004----49.4%--28---50.6%---5
Pittsburgh----2005----42.8%--32---57.2%---1
Indianapolis--2006----56.6%--12---43.4%---21
NY Giants-----2007----55.0%--22---45.1%--11
Pittsburgh----2008-----54.7%--20--45.3%---13
New Orleans--2009----54.7%--24-- 45.4%---9
Green Bay----2010-----57.9%--14---42.1%---19
NY Giants----2011-----60.0%---9---40.0%---24

SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS SINCE 1996
TEAM YEAR PASS % RANK RUN % RANK

Green Bay ---1996---55.8%---15---44.2%---16
Denver--------1997---51.3%---24---48.7%----7
Denver--------1998---49.6%---27---50.4%----4
St. Louis------1999---56.6%---18---43.4%---14
Baltimore-----2000---51.7%---23---48.3%----9
New England-2001----52.8%--24---47.3%----8
Tampa Bay---2002----59.5%---8--- 40.5%---25
New England-2003----54.6%--19---45.4%---14
New England-2004----49.4%--28---50.6%---5
Pittsburgh----2005----42.8%--32---57.2%---1
Indianapolis--2006----56.6%--12---43.4%---21
NY Giants-----2007----55.0%--22---45.1%--11
Pittsburgh----2008-----54.7%--20--45.3%---13
New Orleans--2009----54.7%--24-- 45.4%---9
Green Bay----2010-----57.9%--14---42.1%---19
NY Giants----2011-----60.0%---9---40.0%---24

Hey Knuckles, how ya like them apples?

Fisch is a great fit for NFL OC. This occurred to me earlier today. Probably even a better fit than college.

Advertisement
the sky is not falling. many of you need to chill the **** out. fsu and other schools lost coaches and they land on their feet.we will do the same

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280675 said:

Cristobal to OC I vehementally disagree with though

I'm not a huge proponent of Cristobal as OC but I liked the way his FIU teams played. I am hugely for hiring a guy that has a run first mentality and runs a prostyle offense.

No spread, no oopdy scoop crap. I will always maintain that for Miami to get back to winning championships we will have to get away from throwing it 40 times a game.

Do you watch football or just look at stats.

Cristobal had FIU running the exact offense you dont want. They went and hired the NH OC to run chip style hurryup spread, lol... Tooo funny. You never watched one minute of FIU ball huh? You probably never even watched a Canes game either, just read stats on espn. The EXACT offense you dont want is what Cristobal ran, EXACT. LMAO. You cant make this stuff up.

Plus one. Fisch was good but there are better oc's out there.

Fisch had his positives and a few negatives. I always lean toward keeping a guy if he's doing good just for consistency but it is what it is.

I maintain confidence in Al Golden to dip into his binders full of OC's and upgrade. Like a Boss.

Advertisement
Back