Article: Jedd Fisch Is Gone.

You guys have to remember that when you have top young assistants, and even head coaches, eventually they are likely to leave. I figured it was just a matter of time for Fisch. For most programs, gone are the days of the iconic lifetime college coaches, like Paterno and Bowden, or lifetime assistants (Sandusky, Mickey Andrews). Urban Meyer, Spurrier, and maybe Saban are rarities in that they seem to stay in the college ranks but they don't stay in one place.

Spurrier and Saban would probably still be pro coaches but Spurrier didn't cut it when he had a chance and Saban was bought by obscene amounts of money that most colleges would never pay.

Sooner or later, after some more success, we're likely to lose Golden. Don't bet on him staying for life, no matter what he says. If he has some good teams at UM, NFL money will be dangled in front of him. It's a fact of life.

Advertisement
I think Golden had a great plan in place but it went awry when McDonald left.

He already brought in Cristobal and it would be a superb get if he gets Lubick.

SMD tweets that she is told Al is big admirer of Duke's passing game. Perhaps lubick is on the list.

I think the Lubick kid coached under Dennis Erickson at several stops. I thought his father was one of the best DCs we had at UM.

Not sure why people think this is a big deal. There was a thread almost every week last season that complained about his play calling. Pretty sure that Golden will be fine with another play-caller. What's unknown is how much of an effect he had in the development of Morris, but its not likely that he had some amazingly unique attribute that couldn't be replicated by another decent QB coach. Recruiting is on Golden. People come to play for him, not Fisch.
this
just like Saban, everyone said bama hired the best coach but he just gets the best players. AG gotta hire a good recruiter young and energetic, I prefer running more and using this beast of an OL more.

I hated Fisch's selection at times, but you can't dispute, as mentioned earlier, his talent for working with QBs.

The replacement - or a shakeup of some sorts - really needs to cover that. The playcalling is important, but not the biggest loss here.

Advertisement
RT @smillerdegnan: Chris Olsen, dad of #UM commit Kevin "To be a coordinator in the NFL, those opportunities don't come around very often''

If your wondering about Olsen there it is now STFU. Smh

Correction, HERE it is.

RT @smillerdegnan: Dad of #UM #Canes commit Kevin Olsen tells Miami Herald his son is "absolutely'' coming to Miami, despite Fisch leaving

I know this is probably an unpopular view but I didn't care for Jedd Fisch at all.

He didn't run the ball near enough. I don't care at all that he was able to put up big numbers our defense was also a sieve and he got a lot of series to stack numbers. He came up short against KState and ND and he helped NC State get back in the game by being a dumbass.

He ran too many trick plays that we didn't need, didn't give the ball to Mike James nearly enough, had an aversion to pounding the rock even if it was something we could do, and had no concept of conserving momentum.

Two clear examples of his Jackassery. The 3 and out vs Virginia late in the game when we had run all over em and the screen pass against UNC in their territory that bounced off Mike James's helmet when we had just had two consecutive first down carries. I'm glad he's gone I just wish it hadn't happened so close to signing day.

If we give Cristobal the OC job or bring in someone that runs a more smashmouth prostyle offense we will be better and more efficient than we were last season.

Last edited:
does anyone remember the previous decade....Whip, Nix, etc......... Fisch was awesome comparatively speaking

Advertisement
Jedd Fisch wasn't a perfect play-caller, but he was pretty **** good, he was young, smart and full of potential that he was actually realizing. There's a reason he got hired to be an OC for an NFL team. You can have faults with some of the things he did, but if you really think he wasn't a good OC, then you know nothing.

Actually, the fact that you're asking for Cristobal to be our OC shows me that you know nothing. Come on man.

Just got home & am not going to read 15 pages of posts. This may or may not have been covered. It sucks to lose Jedd but imo it couldn't really happen at a better time. It really doesn't affect our D recruits & most of the important O recruits are right under AG's wings this weekend. They will be privy to most of the inside details. Read between the lines in the statement below by KOs father. Jedd was really doing great things here with the O & I wish he was staying. That being said I am happy for him and more importantly happy that the U is attracting coaches that are going places. We need these type of coaches in here. It has been the MO of our program for over 30 yrs now. All coach D jokes aside as a CANES fan you should be thrilled that Al not only has a eye for HS talent but, that he also has it for coaching talent. Will there be bumps in the road?....sure. Good days are ahead though!!!

Herald blog:

Kevin Olsen's father says the four-star quarterback is "absolutely'' not wavering on his commitment to Miami Hurricanes

I just spoke to the father of Miami Hurricanes four-star quarterback recruit Kevin Olsen, who is in Coral Gables this weekend with his parents for his official recruiting trip.

Chris Olsen, who just retired as the Wayne Hills (N.J.) High School football coach after a storied 26-season career, said Kevin will "absolutely" still attend the University of Miami, despite today's announcement that offensive coordinator Jedd Fish has left to become the Jacksonville Jaguars' offensive coordinator.

"Al Golden is the main guy,'' Chris said of UM's head coach. "We certainly had a good relationship with Jedd and really liked him. And we certainly anticipate the next guy being very similar -- whoever it may be.

"We weren't expecting this, but it's a great opportunity for Jedd and everybody has to do what's best for them. Jedd had a great opportunity and he was the perfect person for the job. To be a coordinator in the NFL, those opportunities don't come around very often. There's never a good time, but if that's something to which you aspire, if it comes around you've got to take it.''

Chris Olsen, who is in South Florida with his wife, Sue, said Kevin had "a great day today and a great day Friday'' during his visit, and that he was taking a nap.

Concluded Olsen: "I think things will fall in place. I'm sure Al Golden has a plan.''

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/#storylink=cpy

Jedd Fisch wasn't a perfect play-caller, but he was pretty **** good, he was young, smart and full of potential that he was actually realizing. There's a reason he got hired to be an OC for an NFL team. You can have faults with some of the things he did, but if you really think he wasn't a good OC, then you know nothing.

Actually, the fact that you're asking for Cristobal to be our OC shows me that you know nothing. Come on man.

I know that if you think Fisch didn't cost us the UVA and UNC game you know nothing. I know that if you think we should lose games when we avg over 5 yds a carry you know nothing. I know that if you think running it less than we throw is smart when we have two great backs and a strong o-line you know nothing.

Last years top ten all ran it at least 55% of the time, we ran it 45% of the time and we finished unranked.

Advertisement
Gotta be Mario. He was given the title "Associate HC" for a reason, IMO. They knew Jedd was leaving when he was hired. I'm sad, but love Mario.

Mario might be a good coach but I don't know that I'd want him tutoring our young QBs. Maybe TEs and OLs, but not QBs.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280526 said:
I know this is probably an unpopular view but I didn't care for Jedd Fisch at all.

He didn't run the ball near enough. I don't care at all that he was able to put up big numbers our defense was also a sieve and he got a lot of series to stack numbers. He came up short against KState and ND and he helped NC State get back in the game by being a dumbass.

He ran too many trick plays that we didn't need, didn't give the ball to Mike James nearly enough, had an aversion to pounding the rock even if it was something we could do, and had no concept of conserving momentum.

Two clear examples of his Jackassery. The 3 and out vs Virginia late in the game when we had run all over em and the screen pass against UNC in their territory that bounced off Mike James's helmet when we had just had two consecutive first down carries. I'm glad he's gone I just wish it hadn't happened so close to signing day.

If we give Cristobal the OC job or bring in someone that runs a more smashmouth prostyle offense we will be better and more efficient than we were last season.
I agree that at times he tried to get a little "too cute" with his trick plays an such, but as for the "didnt run the ball enough" bit, I disagree 100%. He did what any good OC would do, and took what the defense gave him. You dont run the ball just for the sake of running the ball. Thats no different than when Patrick Nix tried to run a spread offense despite the fact he didnt have the personnel to run it. The problem was the defense. The fact we scored so quickly, so often is a sign that he knew what he was doing and knew how to exploit the defense. The problem is that our defense typically also allowed quick scores and didnt take the ball away enough. The truth is that if it wasnt for his play calling and his ability to finds holes in the defense which created quick scores, we could have easily lost a couple games we won. We beat BC, GT, NCSt and Duke despite them having the ball longer. UVA beat is at the last second and they also had the ball alot longer than we did. If we tried to run the ball more just for the sake of running the ball, instead of taking the big play when we could get it, we likely dont win those games.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280607 said:

I know that if you think Fisch didn't cost us the UVA and UNC game you know nothing. I know that if you think we should lose games when we avg over 5 yds a carry you know nothing. I know that if you think running it less than we throw is smart when we have two great backs and a strong o-line you know nothing.

Last years top ten all ran it at least 55% of the time, we ran it 45% of the time and we finished unranked.
You cant average 5 yards per carry if you arent able to throw the ball well. We lost the UVA game because our defense couldnt make a stop.

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1280607 said:

You cant average 5 yards per carry if you arent able to throw the ball well. We lost the UVA game because our defense couldnt make a stop.

3 straight passes from inside their 50 with 5 to go.

Explain that...

Cristobal to OC I vehementally disagree with though

I agree that at times he tried to get a little "too cute" with his trick plays an such, but as for the "didnt run the ball enough" bit, I disagree 100%. He did what any good OC would do, and took what the defense gave him. You dont run the ball just for the sake of running the ball. Thats no different than when Patrick Nix tried to run a spread offense despite the fact he didnt have the personnel to run it. The problem was the defense. The fact we scored so quickly, so often is a sign that he knew what he was doing and knew how to exploit the defense. The problem is that our defense typically also allowed quick scores and didnt take the ball away enough. The truth is that if it wasnt for his play calling and his ability to finds holes in the defense which created quick scores, we could have easily lost a couple games we won. We beat BC, GT, NCSt and Duke despite them having the ball longer. UVA beat is at the last second and they also had the ball alot longer than we did. If we tried to run the ball more just for the sake of running the ball, instead of taking the big play when we could get it, we likely dont win those games.

The top ten all ran the ball 55% of the time while we ran it 45% of the time and our offense was supposedly better, we didn't pound it enough I'm sorry there is no refuting that. You don't take what the defense gives you if you can assert yourself first. You should always try to assert yourself physically before you abandon your bread and butter. thing was is our bread and butter wasn't givin the ball to our backs it was the swing screens and mid range passing game. I watched every game and knew without a doubt that if we had two successful runs back to back that immediately we would run a reverse or an option pass or take a shot down field. Fisch wasn't creative he was predictable we just have way more talent than nearly everyone in the ACC. FSU beat us poundin the rock they started out cute almost gave the game away and then just started poundin it and we couldnt stop em. We couldnt beat FSU in a smash mouth game because of our D so I don't really blame Fisch for a loss there. He was right to play his style in that game but, against teams we had the advantage against he failed us, particularly the UNC and UVA games.

Miami won't be back until they're able to run the ball even when the defense knows it's coming. Every champion the last 10 years was able to do that.

We need our offense to at least be running the ball more than 50% of the time. The timings really crappy but I'm not upset about Fisch leaving.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back