Pittsburgh----2005----42.8%--32---57.2%---1
Indianapolis--2006----56.6%--12---43.4%---21
NY Giants-----2007----55.0%--22---45.1%--11
Pittsburgh----2008-----54.7%--20--45.3%---13
New Orleans--2009----54.7%--24-- 45.4%---9
Green Bay----2010-----57.9%--14---42.1%---19
NY Giants----2011-----60.0%---9---40.0%---24

Hey Knuckles, how ya like them apples?

Fisch is a great fit for NFL OC. This occurred to me earlier today. Probably even a better fit than college.

I see plenty of 50/50 teams in there so I'm not sure what y'all are squawkin about. The majority of the heavy passing has come in the last 5 years with all the rule changes for concussions. I agree Fisch is more suited to the NFL game and here's why...

The NFL is a bit different now without being able to play any defense. I would say let's stick to college or look at the stats before maybe '05 or something. The NFL really is a different animal. The Canes are a college team, when they were dominant they still ran the football a lot. The NFL has shifted to a more pass based system only because of rule changes not because it is the best way to win, it might be now I guess. The league itself has created an advantage for offenses in the passing game that doesn't exist in college football.

In addition the talent is concentrated in the NFL and the teams practice way more so they can build a lot better continuity in the passing game. We were not efficient passing the ball last season but, we were explosive. I'll give Fisch some credit for limiting Stephen's picks but, his completion % was not stellar and I continue to maintain that we did not run the ball enough. We were 117 of 122 teams in rushing attempts last season. We can't be that pass heavy in the college game and be dominant. Drops are going to happen, our receivers will never be as polished as NFL receivers, and they also don't have the benefits of the rules like NFL guys.

FWIW while FIU's offense may be classified as a spread team they were tied for 52nd in the nation in rushing attempts. Had Miami handed the ball off as much as FIU we would have beaten UNC and UVA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well the Giants were passing it 56.85% of the time when they won it last year, and the Packers were passing it 58.28% of the time when they won it the year before.

That good enough for you?

And the Giants finished last in the NFL in rushing might I add

They also didn't make the playoffs this season and were a 9-7 team that got hot in their Superbowl year.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

PASS RUN TEAM/YEAR
36.5% 63.5% Bama 2012
41% 59% Bama 2011
31% 69% Auburn 2010
36.5 % 63.5% Bama 2009
38% 62% UF 2008
42% 58% LSU 2007
42.5% 57.5% UF 2006
36% 64% Texas 2005
46.5% 53.5% USC 2004

Let me acknowledge a couple caveats, most of these teams had great defenses that may have allowed them to be more conservative and some of these teams had running QBs that skewed the numbers. I was excited to see if Fisch calmed down a little bit this year if the D stepped up. I was calling for his head in 2011 but, this year most of the time there wasn't much to argue with save some questionable calls in games we looked to be physically dominant in. Golden himself said after the season that they opened the offense up a lot more because of the suspect D. I'm not psyched that we have to bring in a new OC on such short notice and I'm not sure if we can find someone that will do better than Fisch would have this year.

I tried to go back and look at the []_[] teams ratios but it required a lot more math and it's late and I'm gettin the numbers crossed all up.

In all honesty we threw the ball around more in the 80s and 90s than I thought. Most of my memories were the more run oriented dominance of the 2000s which had a ratio like 53.5% run over the three years. Regardless, this year we threw it about 55% of the time but, we probably should have been around 50/50 IMO. It doesn't seem like a big deal but it could have made a difference in Ws and helped our defense. I also feel like James needed/deserved way more carries than he got. Him and Duke should have gotten like 40 more carries IMO, most of them for James.

Don't discount the impact run blocking has on a d-line either. Lettin those big'uns rumble instead of droppin back in PP wears down the opponents d-line. Lettin James and Hagens drop shoulders on the LBs helps Duke too.

All I know is a lot this year I just wanted Fisch to hand it off and he called a pass or worse a trick play and it stalled our drives. I'm a big proponent of run it til they stop it, smash mouth football and we barely ever pounded on a team even when we were capable of it.

Bottomline: No throw it all over team has been able to win in a while, OU in 2000 whom we would have beat had we played em, and I think we need to run it more if we want to compete in today's game

Last edited:
How great would it be if today Golden tells all recruits to goto their position rooms to talk with position coach, but leaves all offense of players in team meeting room then walks behind a wall and started talking to someone an says "I would like to welcome you aboard as the new OC" and out walks someone like John Gruden ( clearly wouldn't be him, but someone like that, that would blow the recruits mine along with ours). Have faith in Al he has a plan

How great would it be if today Golden tells all recruits to goto their position rooms to talk with position coach, but leaves all offense of players in team meeting room then walks behind a wall and started talking to someone an says "I would like to welcome you aboard as the new OC" and out walks someone like John Gruden ( clearly wouldn't be him, but someone like that, that would blow the recruits mine along with ours). Have faith in Al he has a plan

Sofia Vergara is standing at your front door right now wearing only a raincoat, ringing your doorbell. Better go let her in!

Advertisement

Sofia Vergara is standing at your front door right now wearing only a raincoat, ringing your doorbell. Better go let her in!

I was just saying could you imagine how crazy these boards would be if something like that happen? It would also suck if she was there since I'm stuck at work and wont be able to answer the door.

Advertisement
Back on topic I was thinking the pro QB coach route was solid for Al the first time around. So maybe we should do it again. I was thinking Clyde Christensen from Indy.

We didn't score any points against good teams in two years and often didn't score any points against bad teams.
f him

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1281834 said:
FWIW while FIU's offense may be classified as a spread team they were tied for 52nd in the nation in rushing attempts. Had Miami handed the ball off as much as FIU we would have beaten UNC and UVA.

We ran the ball 45 times vs UNC and 33 times vs UVA. That's 54% and 56% of our total plays in those games, respectively. That's roughly the same percentage of rush-to-pass plays that FIU maintained throughout the season.

Advertisement

We ran the ball 45 times vs UNC and 33 times vs UVA. That's 54% and 56% of our total plays in those games, respectively. That's roughly the same percentage of rush-to-pass plays that FIU maintained throughout the season.

We could have and should have run it more and totals often don't take into account timing. There's nothing wrong with drifting into 60% territory when it is working for you. Just like it isn't bad if you throw it 40 times if the D is playing soft coverage and you have success throwing. I still maintain you establish and stick to the run when it is working.

If you rewatch film on the UVA game you will see that we had two late 3 and outs that also took less than a min off the clock because Fisch pitched it around instead of trying to run and grind out the clock. We also fumbled in the red zone cause we decided to run Morris when that isn't part of our normal offense. We never really had any consistent plan on offense. Like many have said it was a grab bag offense, we had no identity, no bread an butter. If we had things clicking that gave Fisch license to try more crap, trick plays or unusal formations. He was in love with variety and trying to confuse the D rather than dominating the opposing D with execution.

If memory serves me correct we also threw an awkward int on a screen in UNC territory after two consecutive long runs. If I have back to back 6+ yd carries you can bet on 1st and ten I'm running until they can keep me under 4 yds and then after like 4 or 5 runs I line up and throw the ball out of the same formation I have been pounding them with. i don't run it twice for big gains and then run a HB option pass or reverse or even a screen into the dead center of the field where the just loaded the box to stop the run.

:fistbump:

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1287762 said:

We could have and should have run it more and totals often don't take into account timing. There's nothing wrong with drifting into 60% territory when it is working for you. Just like it isn't bad if you throw it 40 times if the D is playing soft coverage and you have success throwing. I still maintain you establish and stick to the run when it is working.

If you rewatch film on the UVA game you will see that we had two late 3 and outs that also took less than a min off the clock because Fisch pitched it around instead of trying to run and grind out the clock. We also fumbled in the red zone cause we decided to run Morris when that isn't part of our normal offense. We never really had any consistent plan on offense. Like many have said it was a grab bag offense, we had no identity, no bread an butter. If we had things clicking that gave Fisch license to try more crap, trick plays or unusal formations. He was in love with variety and trying to confuse the D rather than dominating the opposing D with execution.

If memory serves me correct we also threw an awkward int on a screen in UNC territory after two consecutive long runs. If I have back to back 6+ yd carries you can bet on 1st and ten I'm running until they can keep me under 4 yds and then after like 4 or 5 runs I line up and throw the ball out of the same formation I have been pounding them with. i don't run it twice for big gains and then run a HB option pass or reverse or even a screen into the dead center of the field where the just loaded the box to stop the run.

I know we had two late 3-and-outs vs UVA in the 4th. ONE of those 3-and-outs was a result of running the ball 3 consecutive plays.

1st-10, MIAF47 4:19 M. James rushed to the left for 6 yard gain
2nd-4, UVA47 4:13 M. James rushed up the middle for 2 yard loss
3rd-6, UVA49 4:00 D. Johnson rushed up the middle for 2 yard gain

And we ALSO ran the ball once in the other 3-and-out:

1st-10, UVA41 5:33 S. Morris incomplete pass down the middle
2nd-10, UVA41 5:22 D. Johnson rushed to the left for 3 yard gain
3rd-7, UVA38 5:20 S. Morris incomplete pass to the left

SO....we ran the ball 4 out of 6 times in 2 drives.

Advertisement

I know we had two late 3-and-outs vs UVA in the 4th. ONE of those 3-and-outs was a result of running the ball 3 consecutive plays.

And it factored heavily into the loss. Fisch picked a bad time to get overly conservative given how awful our defense was playing. Otherwise I was largely a fan of Fisch's play calling this season.

And it factored heavily into the loss. Fisch picked a bad time to get overly conservative given how awful our defense was playing. Otherwise I was largely a fan of Fisch's play calling this season.

I was fine with the play calling all around.

We'd been running the ball well, averaging big yards on the ground vs. UVa. Even if you take Duke's 52-yard TD out of the equation, we still averaged nearly 6 yds per carry. So running the ball late in the game was not a bad thing.

IMO, about the only thing you might be able to fault Fisch for is that he ran the hurry-up at a time when we needed to milk the clock. In that one 3-and-out listed above, we ran the ball 3 consecutive plays within 19 seconds. We had the lead; we needed to take as much time as possible, but we ended up holding onto it for just a little over a minute.

That said, the hurry-up was working for us throughout the game, and it was Fisch's game-plan pretty much all season long, so it's not like he did something out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

We'd been running the ball well, averaging big yards on the ground vs. UVa. Even if you take Duke's 52-yard TD out of the equation, we still averaged nearly 6 yds per carry. So running the ball late in the game was not a bad thing.

IMO, about the only thing you might be able to fault Fisch for is that he ran the hurry-up at a time when we needed to milk the clock. In that one 3-and-out listed above, we ran the ball 3 consecutive plays within 19 seconds. We had the lead; we needed to take as much time as possible, but we ended up holding onto it for just a little over a minute.

That said, the hurry-up was working for us throughout the game, and it was Fisch's game-plan pretty much all season long, so it's not like he did something out of the ordinary.

I'll start doin my own research so this doesn't happen again. In the first series throwing on 1st down was the error that ****ed me off. In the second drive we ran it three str8 times yes. I can't recall what the actual playcalls/formations were though, James up the middle doesn't really tell the whole story. The formation or way they ran it may be where my frustration came if it was a delay outta the gun that's probably why I remember it being stupid. Looking at the play by play I was also aggravated we didn't throw on 3rd down. I hold myself accountable for misremembering why I thought Fisch had a brainfart at the end of the game but, regardless he did **** the bed in those two series no matter how you want to spin it.

So yea my gripes were, throwing on 1st down/2 of 3 plays when we should have been burning clock in the first series and then being conservative (possibly too cute/tricky if we didn't run from the I with a lead blocker) by not throwing once we found ourselves in 3rd and 6 probably is what got me goin in the second series.

Again my mistake not running didn't give UVA a chance to beat us in Charlottesville, still think those series could have been handled much better.

Last edited:
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1288321 said:

I'll start doin my own research so this doesn't happen again. In the first series throwing on 1st down was the error that ****ed me off. In the second drive we ran it three str8 times yes. I can't recall what the actual playcalls/formations were though, James up the middle doesn't really tell the whole story. The formation or way they ran it may be where my frustration came if it was a delay outta the gun that's probably why I remember it being stupid. Looking at the play by play I was also aggravated we didn't throw on 3rd down. I hold myself accountable for misremembering why I thought Fisch had a brainfart at the end of the game but, regardless he did **** the bed in those two series no matter how you want to spin it.

So yea my gripes were, throwing on 1st down/2 of 3 plays when we should have been burning clock in the first series and then being conservative (possibly too cute/tricky if we didn't run from the I with a lead blocker) by not throwing once we found ourselves in 3rd and 6 probably is what got me goin in the second series.

Again my mistake not running didn't give UVA a chance to beat us in Charlottesville, still think those series could have been handled much better.

Could he have called it better down the stretch in the last few minutes? Maybe. But hindsight is always 20/20. You can say he should have passed on 3rd and 6, but then we had been averaging about 7.5 yards a carry throughout the game, so the odds were in our favor.

Advertisement
Back