Article about Mario the QB killer

Advertisement
Also I like how the narrative changed from, he didn't get the most out of Herbert, to he regressed his development. As @TemplarCane said, Herbert did the unthinkable and came out the gate hot as a rookie. That outright states the opposite.
Oregon wasnt even stacked he started stacking a little bit in Herberts last season and he was leaving. U can stack at Oregon to a point but u cant clean up unless your a all timer like Saban. U need the right fit to pause

Mario’s biggest win total came the season he had a phenomenal defense.

It’s ok to be thrilled with him being here, which we all are, and still have questions about his offensive philosophy.

It can be locked I don’t mind. Was on my Google feed and thought I’d share.

Yes, and this is why "random articles on random websites" matter, because they get picked up by Google and given an air of legitimacy, when they are written by anonymous people with no journalistic standards or accountability, not to mention the fact that we live in a "headline-based" world these days.

12-2
Conference champs
NY 6 Bowl win
32/6 td/int
6th overall draft pick

sign me up for one killed QB please.

Yeah, he killed Herbert all the way into the #6 overall pick.

"But Herbert should have gone higher..."

Yes, he should have gone 1 spot higher, to the Dolphins...

Advertisement
Did the writer mention that Herbert was 200-300 yards away from being top 10 QB in the country? LOL, he had a fine year and since when does NFL production reflective to how good or bad someone should be in college? Did she write the same article about Josh Allen? Makes no sense.

And anthony Brown is awful. No matter how much she digs into analytics, the eye test would tell you he is awful

It’s ok to be thrilled with him being here, which we all are, and still have questions about his offensive philosophy.

Really? The "offensive philosophy" is solely on Mario (and the "phenomenal defense" too)? Has nothing to do with the OC? Good lord, he hired a guy who was a former HC (Joe Moorhead) who had great offensive production at Ped State, yet certain people want to blame Mario.

I realize that the HC is the "buck stops here" guy, but people act as if the players and/or the assistant coaches and coordinators have minimal impact. It's only the HC who should be tagged with every statistical measure and ever bit of output....

The Herbert thing is definitely curious. I think that one has some merit. I watched a few Herbert games because there was a lot of talk the Fins might draft him so I checked in. I felt like he was treated like a game manager QB. His development and play with the Chargers did surprise me.

Brown OTOH. Woof. We saw that guy at BC. Brown was a limited thrower who was better in a run-heavy, ball control offense. Mario got out of him last year what is expected of him.

Advertisement
Legitimate criticisms of Mario’s tenure at Oregon might be not having anyone at receiver even close to the caliber we saw at Bama. Or at least much better than Herbert had. Also, why did Oregon sign Anthony Brown? No one recruited better than a Boston College castoff?

And yet Herbert put of excellent numbers and won.

Both can be true and on Mario, he was in charge.

IReally? The "offensive philosophy" is solely on Mario (and the "phenomenal defense" too)? Has nothing to do with the OC? Good lord, he hired a guy who was a former HC (Joe Moorhead) who had great offensive production at Ped State, yet certain people want to blame Mario.

I realize that the HC is the "buck stops here" guy, but people act as if the players and/or the assistant coaches and coordinators have minimal impact. It's only the HC who should be tagged with every statistical measure and ever bit of output....
True. We can note which assistants from Oregon did not move to Miami.

Some may have preferred to stay out West, but I suspect Mario didn’t bother to ask a few.

Legitimate criticisms of Mario’s tenure at Oregon might be not having anyone at receiver even close to the caliber we saw at Bama. Or at least much better than Herbert had. Also, why did Oregon sign Anthony Brown? No one recruited better than a Boston College castoff?

I think this was a significant reason he bolted. He has better access to high-end talent here than there. I am hopeful that Mario the recruiter > Mario the coach and the recruiter forces the coach to open it up a little more.

Advertisement
Killed Herbert's development so bad that he slipped to pick 6, won rookie of the year, broke rookie records in the NFL and is now an MVP candidate.

That **** Mario making Herbert a paltry top 10 across the board in every relevant passing statistic in his final year! Rose Bowl MVP and Pac 12 champion? Psh...that was clearly because of willie ******* taggartlol!

Question. Other than playing physical football(which usually correlates with running the ball somewhat)what offensive philosophy do you feel is Mario's? Do you feel Manny had an offensive philosophy? I get Mario is a hands on coach but do you really thinks he's telling Gattis this is how you have to call our offense or not be quite as heavy handed as that. Mario will definitely make sure his principles(physicality,running the ball,etc.)are embraced. But outside of that it's on gratis how creative we get.

Advertisement
We'll know right away really.

With TVD and a line not where it needs to be... if we play that brand of football it's only moving more in that direction.

Praying we don't have to be pulling our hair out for a scheme change of some sort like the last 15 years.

It's not accurate at all to say though. When you speak on these bama recievers he gets no recruits close to who exactly are you speaking on? The few 5 stars that were brought in or just higher end talent? Because Mario brought in quite a few high 4 star kids at wr & at QB. He even had a couple that were 5 stars who went down to 4 stars. Now if you're blaming him for them not turning out as well as those bama 5 stars than that's a lil different. But it's an entirely different conversation isn't it... And to ask why did they sign brown is another conversation if imagine. Because it implies he wasn't recruiting qbs at a high enough level. But if you look through his classes you see he had at least 1 high 4 star top 10 QB annually basically and one 5star in lil johnnies favorite QB that Mario signed Johnson Jr I think was his name. Not a single one of them panned out other than shough & he got hurt than regressed heavily. Again a different conversation. Unless that was your point all along is they never produced at the level like they did at bama. But can you put all of that on him & leave out anything on the oc?

We'll know right away really.

With TVD and a line not where it needs to be... if we play that brand of football it's only moving more in that direction.

Praying we don't have to be pulling our hair out for a scheme change of some sort like the last 15 years.
You'll know right away? So does that mean you should discount all the continuous dropped balls from the recievers all throughout camp? You do realize a coaches job is to win. Not to do it a certain way and placate the fanbase. People never grasp that. You do what you got to do to win. Whether that's pretty or not isn't relevant if it's not an option.

Don’t know if Maude’s want to put it in Duck Tears they can.
GIF by Desus & Mero

Advertisement
Back