2024 Artavius Jones 4* DT from Blountstown FL

Advertisement

Blountstown (Fla.) Artavius Jones shot up the 247Sports Rankings last week and it’s easy to see why. The 6-foot-3, 280-pounder certainly looks the part of a Power 5 interior defensive lineman, but people in Coral Gables are extremely impressed by his movement skills on the hardwood and how that translates to football. He could also be a Power 5 interior offensive lineman, according to some, and really impressed when he casually bounced during the photoshoot for a between the legs dunk with the football type of shot. He was all smiles coming out of that Miami visit alongside his family. Some of those family members are from Miami, which doesn’t hurt the Hurricanes’ chances with the defensive tackle out of the panhandle. UCF is one program he likes.

Advertisement

For the Canes to offer Jones such attention in his first year playing defense and second year playing football blew him away.

“I actually loved the visit. I really did. Truly. It’s a 10/10 for me,” Jones said. “Y’all will see me (in Miami) again for sure. I really liked it. It was a fun experience. The people in there are great. The coaches are great. I don’t know if it’s because they’re recruiting me or whatever, but they’ve got great personalities. I love the guys. I love the staff. I love the assistants. It’s really great.”

Jones chatted with Cristobal, new tight ends coach Cody Woodiel and co-defensive line coach Jason Taylor. The group hammered home to Jones that they intend to teach and develop unlike anyone else in college football, and he said Miami’s defense was disciplined and focused during practice. He and the staff discussed bringing him back to campus in the near future too.

“I really am trying to get back, honestly, because I love it here,” Jones said. “I have family down here. I love it here, and I really am trying to come back. Who knows, maybe I’ll even give them an official visit!”

He wants to commit to a program he trusts to develop him both academically and athletically, which he felt Miami showed him this weekend.

Advertisement
Advertisement
North Florida has some ballplayers now — and not just in Jax, Pensacola and the other cities up here.

Not saying these small-town kids are all Jack Youngblood or Derrick Henry, but there are definitely kids who could play FBS football but get overlooked or passed by for the usual reasons: grades, still raw, didn't go to camps, etc

Funny thing is that the Milton area seems to really be UF country over the years, although it's closer to FSU.

SEC street cred >>> ACC street cred for most casual fans up here

Probably even out over time if/when FSU gets in the SEC and does about as well as UF

Advertisement
JTF, you've been to every gotdamm town in the entire state of Florida.

Ain't never seen nothing like it. :LOL:
Lived, worked, and schooled in Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade. Family from all 3. Family in Central Florida.

Ran track and cross country in high school, so traveled for that.

Used to put 20,000 miles a year on my car traveling for work, which was entirely in the State of Florida.

Also traveled to conferences and prisons for my Dad's work growing up in the 90s: Naples, Marco Island, Sanibel, Captiva, Ponte Vedra, Wesley Chapel.

Mom has two close friends from Pensacola.

Followed crootin' since 1998.

It adds up, lol.

This guy's profile and film scream future NFL player. Dominates on defense, catches passes on offense, legit 6'3.5, 305, plays basketball and is state champion weight-lifter. Miami loves him as a prospect and loves where they stand.

“I won state in weightlifting in the heavy weights,” Jones said. “My bench max is 420, my clean is 305 but I can get more than that. They capped me at 500 on squat. They don’t let me go beyond 500 but I feel that I can get 575.”

season 2 s02 GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

Advertisement
Back