Art Briles new OC at Grambling

I will leave my thoughts on this here..I would rather most of you just say, "Look IMO, it looks bad and the optics are even worse but I dont know anything about HBCUs or their financial issues so if they feel like they needed to go to these lengths to give their football program a steroid shot of financial momentum to generate revenue for athletics..be my guest... Its not like any of my kids are going to even visit GSU let alone attend there so I have zero skin in this game."

I digress.

Advertisement
Listen racebaiter. Youre the one who said HBCUs were desperate and borderline bankrupt. I dont give 2 ***** about grambling but kids deserve to be coached by leaders of men first and foremost. Those kids deserve better than Briles and whatever desperate admin hired him period. Coaches like him are a ****stain on all athletics.
"I dont give 2 phucks about grambling"..End it there then. You could have just stopped typing. (shrugs)

The OC has zero power at a school. You guys are dragging it. LOL. Name me the last OC that had the power to dictate anything outside of what play is being called on 3rd and 9. You guys are just making **** up now. LOL.

It doesn't matter how much "power" they have compared to other coaches on the staff. You don't put a person like that in charge of young adults. You don't tell parents you are going to take care of their kids and then let them be coached, supervised, taught, and mentored by a human that would let girls get violently raped and look the other way. ****, if I were parent there I wouldn't want him in the BUILDING... ****, on CAMPUS. You don't hire a WATER BOY with that type of character, let alone the leader of your offense.

His only shot is the pros where he can't damage the emotional and psychological development of his players as they are already adults. I guess he's not good enough for anyone up there, or even they see him as so toxic he's untouchable.

Anyway, there is no reason for us to debate this, because there is no debate. The market has spoken.

Last edited:
"I dont give 2 phucks about grambling"..End it there then. You could have just stopped typing. (shrugs)
I would make the same argument against briles if he was coaching a team in prison ala "longest yard"...and i have. There is no justification to put him in a position of leadership ....anywhere.

LOL! Please lets not go there. The ole "yearly HBCU budget funding from the government". Im not going to touch this because I dont want to get dinged for talking politics.
My point is that it's not as dire as it once was.

For the record, I have no problem at all with Briles being OC at Baylor. We have a real problem with allowing redemption in this country and the whole cancel culture has made that worse.

Advertisement
I am in no way condoning what Briles did at Baylor, and from what I have read the culture there was so bad he probably did deserve to get fired. People act like coaches dont get second chances every day in this country. Hugh Freeze was using a school issued phone to bang hookers and is now coaching at a uber Christian School of all places

Well, getting hookers didn't damage kids. It didn't even affect them. It just showed a lack of character for a coach or a teacher, as he broke the law. Using a school phone, etc showed stupidity.

Looking the other way while students are getting violently raped is pretty different. I'm glad you think that he "probably deserved to get fired."

As for Hugh Freeze getting hired at an "uber christian school," I'd say look a little more into that school, the people who own it, and you might find out why that was the only type of school that WOULD hire him.

At what point does Art Briles get a second chance? The baylor bball coach who covered up the murder of one of his own players got a second chance. James Franklin encouraged an alleged victim to not press charges against his players at Vandy. Brian Kelly killed a kid @ ND making him go up on a lift to film during a windstorm. DJ Durkin was heavily involved in the death of a player at Maryland who died during a workout.

how about never?

you're 100% right, by the way. Franklin, Kelly, Durkin .... those guys arguably committed criminal offenses along the lines of witness intimidation and tampering, manslaughter, and sexual assault. they deserve to be in the same ditch as art briles.

no one has a constitutional or human right to a second chance to coach college football. or even a second chance at all.

if he gets a second shot, or if anyone does, it doesn't necessarily mean they can (without consequence or contrition, and with unfettered latitude) pick their own path to redemption. it doesn't work that way. we aren't talking about kids who entered the room through the knucklehead door. these were grown men who knowingly committed moral, ethical, and social breaches of conduct that were horrific and destroyed lives.

fu*k art briles, franklin, kelly and durkin. hope they all die in a fire. slowly. they get no sympathy or condolences from me.

how about never?

you're 100% right, by the way. Franklin, Kelly, Durkin .... those guys arguably committed criminal offenses along the lines of witness intimidation and tampering, manslaughter, and sexual assault. they deserve to be in the same ditch as art briles.

no one has a constitutional or human right to a second chance to coach college football. or even a second chance at all.

if he gets a second shot, or if anyone does, it doesn't necessarily mean they can (without consequence or contrition, and with unfettered latitude) pick their own path to redemption. it doesn't work that way. we aren't talking about kids who entered the room through the knucklehead door. these were grown men who knowingly committed moral, ethical, and social breaches of conduct that were horrific and destroyed lives.

fu*k art briles, franklin, kelly and durkin. hope they all die in a fire. slowly. they get no sympathy or condolences from me.

All valid points. But coaching football is what he is good at, and I don't think he picked Grambling as his path to redemption. He's tried time and time again to work and he can't. I don't think he should ever be in charge of a football program again. But he could teach some pretty valuable lessons to younger coaches and players as well about how badly your life can get screwed up with poor decisions. I do think Baylor used him as the fall guy but he was definitely guilty of some bad stuff. I havent followed it too closely, but maybe if he showed some remorse and did some PR work he could make it back.

Advertisement
Hue Jackson as HC and Briles as OC is monstrous! They’re gonna be tough in the SWAC

Wish we would’ve brought him to Miami
Briles is a Sh## Show. Why GRAMBLING would bring this pile of vile on board when none of over 300 Colleges and Universities turned him down is beyond all reason.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back