Arroyo fired at UNLV

Advertisement
They also said Mario would never leave Oregon, Miami was broke, Oregon was a better job, Mario was too good for Miami..........and then when he left, they said he sucked and they were glad to get rid of him.

Lesson #1: Never, ever, ever listen to fans.
Half of CIS were elated when Lashlee was hired to SMU. The other half weep til this day. You can always find a narritive to fit whatever you are looking for.

Don’t know much about him, but he took a disastrous UNLV program from consistently winless to a 2 win team to a 5 win team this year with 4 of those losses being decided by 1 possession.

UNLV must have a big time coach in mind because this doesn’t make sense. Maybe Gruden?

Exactly what I was saying in my posts above. UNLV was easily one of the 10 worst FBS programs in the county when he got there.

Tony Sanchez was 20-40 in the 5 years before Arroyo got the job.

In the Covid year, they went 0-6. 2 wins last year. 5 wins this year, and their best player (QB Brumfield) missed multiple games in the middle of the season. In the games he played, they won or were very competitive.

They also said Mario would never leave Oregon, Miami was broke, Oregon was a better job, Mario was too good for Miami..........and then when he left, they said he sucked and they were glad to get rid of him.

The issue isn't that he's a village idiot or whatever the fck Gattis is.

The issue is that hiring him would mean that instead of acknowledging he needs a system overhaul, Mario would just be going back to what he's familiar with. Basically doubling down on a better version of the system nobody wants to see.

Advertisement

That’s not the same thing.

It’s one thing to act like a scorned lover after she leaves you.

It’s another to be praying your girl gets hit by a bus to get you out of this relationship *while you’re with her,* and then send a thank you card to the bus driver after it actually happens.

Last edited:
The issue isn't that he's a village idiot or whatever the fck Gattis is.

The issue is that hiring him would mean that instead of acknowledging he needs a system overhaul, Mario would just be going back to what he's familiar with. Basically doubling down on a better version of the system nobody wants to see.

I hear what you're saying, but "the system nobody wants to see" went 10-2 in 2019 and won the Rose Bowl with a Top 15 scoring offense.

I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't mind seeing that here.

Advertisement
Does he run the type of offense most of us want to see?

If he worked for Mario, I’m guessing no.
I'm laughing for two reasons:
1. It's funny
2. It's true
Michael Jordan Crying GIF

I hear what you're saying, but "the system nobody wants to see" went 10-2 in 2019 and won the Rose Bowl with a Top 15 scoring offense.

I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't mind seeing that here.
That was with Justin Herbert though. And I'm not one those "he ruined Herbert" guys at all. But we are talking about a generational talent at QB running that system in 2019. Something we aren't close to having.

Unless the buyout is an obstacle or he wants to sit out for a year or stay on the west coast, I think reasonable to assume he'll be our next OC.

But personally, I think Mario needs to get out of his comfort zone and go with a much more QB friendly offense, instead of doubling down on what's familiar to him.

That was with Justin Herbert though. And I'm not one those "he ruined Herbert" guys at all. But we are talking about a generational talent at QB running that system in 2019. Something we aren't close to having.

Unless the buyout is an obstacle or he wants to sit out for a year or stay on the west coast, I think reasonable to assume he'll be our next OC.

But personally, I think Mario needs to get out of his comfort zone and go with a much more QB friendly offense, instead of doubling down on what's familiar to him.

The generational guy was a 3-star player who started at Oregon in 2016. Marcus Arroyo coached him his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons.

So was he going to be generational no matter who coached him? Or does Arroyo deserve credit for taking a 3-star kid with very few offers and turning him into the #6 pick in the draft?

Again, not disagreeing with you. I don't want him to hire Arroyo, I think we can do better. But you can't say that Arroyo stinks (I know you're not specifically, but others basically are) because he was only good with a generational QB and then give him no credit for developing the generational QB. That's moving the goal posts across the country.

The only benefit to us hiring Arroyo would be Puke screaming about bringing in another "Cuban". I think Frank Ponce was the final "Cuban" that broke the camel's back for him.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Herbert was a 3 star. Was he generational or developed?

Advertisement
Back