Architectural Details on football ops center

Advertisement
We'll just distract them by incessantly asking what should be done with Sunset Place.

I've been thinking long and hard about that, actually.

Two words: "BAKERY... CENTER."

An amazing movie theatre on the bottom, a nightclub where people can blow off steam up top, even a gym! All with desolate art galleries and empty spaces scattered throughout.

I'm currently accepting investors.

Advertisement
I've already seen people do it on Twitter. 🤣

I actually think he responded and said he looked at it but it wasn't logistically feasible. 🤣🤣
In all seriousness, a stadium would fit and would be a simple walk from campus. And it's on the metro. That said, the driving to and from the stadium is a big lol.

Advertisement
In all seriousness, a stadium would fit and would be a simple walk from campus. And it's on the metro. That said, the driving to and from the stadium is a big lol.
Haha. The last part is definitely an issue. I mean there are a lot of places a stadium alone will fit but a preexisting relatively recently commercially developed parcel of land is probably one of the least attractive options when you're looking to build one.

I think the entire place sold a couple years ago for like $70 mil and that was a steal (the previous owners paid north of $110 mil for it like 5 years prior) and was before the most recent Florida real estate boom.

I don't know what the Bakery Center sold for but UM should've tried to expand campus across US-1 then.

Advertisement
Besides the earlier statements by the City that they have no intention of permitting a new stadium to be built?
You know what's coming next.... 10,000 I told ya so posts about the Stadium rejection... 🤣🤣🤣

considering that the lot size is less than 10 acres and hard rock (the stadium itself) is about 25 acres, i don't think a stadium there fits.

Besides the earlier statements by the City that they have no intention of permitting a new stadium to be built?
yes and no. my understanding is that the County is going to pass an ordinance to protect it from stadium development and then place it in the hands of a PPP (public private partnership) to develop some light commercial activity consistent with a public park. all rumors of course but i have "witnessed" some of the behind the scenes negotiations regarding the above.

Advertisement
From the roof you'll actually be able to see the new stadium in Tropical Park. I'm thinking possible zipline or air gondola situation.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Haha. The last part is definitely an issue. I mean there are a lot of places a stadium alone will fit but a preexisting relatively recently commercially developed parcel of land is probably one of the least attractive options when you're looking to build one.

I think the entire place sold a couple years ago for like $70 mil and that was a steal (the previous owners paid north of $110 mil for it like 5 years prior) and was before the most recent Florida real estate boom.

I don't know what the Bakery Center sold for but UM should've tried to expand campus across US-1 then.

The Fuchs family built Holsum Bakery at that location, Red & Sunset & US 1. George Wilson (a UM alum and an alum of my fraternity) married Jane Fuchs, and he was the guy running Holsum when they sold that particular site (late 70s/early 80s?). I just remember that Bakery Centre was newly constructed/recently opened when I started at UM in 1986, and then it was being demolished when I was finishing law school around 1996. I'm sure that @rsa coral gables and @Canesfreak can recall the demise of Brakery Centre, it happened while we were in law school.

I am not sure if UM was offered the opportunity to purchase that location in either the early 1980s or early 1990s. It certainly would have been a great location to expand a couple of schools that have struggled to find space, either with the School of Nursing (in close proximity to Baptist South Miami) and the School of Architecture (which was stuck in those ****** apartment buildings in the 1980s and most of the 1990s).

The Wilsons were very nice people, they hosted a few fraternity functions at their house in Cocoplum, since we did not have a house on The Row.

Advertisement
Back