Architectural Details on football ops center

Displacing track and soccer so that football can have 30 extra yards for its IPF seems drastic. The IM field is big enough for a track but is the T&F team supposed to use it for practice and meets? Is the soccer team supposed to play at Murray Park lol?

Advertisement
Displacing track and soccer so that football can have 30 extra yards for its IPF seems drastic. The IM field is big enough for a track but is the T&F team supposed to use it for practice and meets? Is the soccer team supposed to play at Murray Park lol?

I've explained it multiple times.

Nothing is being "displaced".

Some things will be moved around. If you knew all of the puzzle pieces...

Mario's office on the 6th floor?... Gonna be a nice view...
Really cool this is coming together... Can't wait to see the finished product...

I've explained it multiple times.

Nothing is being "displaced".

Some things will be moved around. If you knew all of the puzzle pieces...
Moving track and soccer to the IM field is probably doable but students wouldn't have quite the same access if track and soccer use it for practice and games/meets. That's a lot to cram into that space, although there may be some extra room once they finish building the new recital hall.

It would be nice to have a full length IPF with full-length outdoor practice fields, it just seems like they'd be sacrificing a lot. On the other hand, since the construction of the new football ops center allows for soccer, track, etc to use the office currently used by football then maybe it evens out. But the students get shafted a bit in this scenario imo. Left field seating at Mark Light would be amazing.

I’m not for shifting all the pieces just to give the football team a longer IPF. The track is in a perfect location as it stands. And putting anything else onto the IM fields is a slap in the face to students. **** the already messed up the IM fields with putting shot putt on it.

Advertisement
Architecture geek here. The two firms in charge are totally top of the line:

HOK is the worldwide powerhouse for sports facilities. Ex. Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta, Hard Rock redo, Etihad stadium in Abu Dhabi, etc etc.

Archtectonica is the Miami based firm responsible for our super new dorms at the U. They first became famous on Miami Vice with their Brickell condo punctured with an open red square on the facade. Remember that building? Since then, they are recognized for their tropical Miami cool look now widespread in South Florida.

Together, these firms offer top class expertise in sports integrated into the style of the emerging UM campus. Well done.

i remember hearing from GT lawyers after the fact that that building's floor to area ratio was miscalculated during the design phase and when they started construction they realized the project had too many square feet so they came up with the creative idea of removing square feet out of the middle and created the open square. brilliant

The track will be moved.

Take a look at the map, the easternmost Greentree field is already impaired on one end by the parking garage.

Cobb Track moves to the IM Fields, and the Greentree fields will shift west. And who knows, I'd love to see UM build some left field seating at the Light.
So where do the IM Fields go?

Advertisement
There are two issues with the IPF...first is the overall length, but also that they want either a new weight room or expanded. If you want to expand it, you would need to lengthen the IPF and use some of the existing small field at the IPF to push out the weight room. If you wipe out Cobb, then you can expand the IPF with a new weight room and have the 2 fields running east to west across the current Cobb location....Crazily...the new 175,000 sq. foot facility does not have a new weight room, which shows how big it will be.

There are two issues with the IPF...first is the overall length, but also that they want either a new weight room or expanded. If you want to expand it, you would need to lengthen the IPF and use some of the existing small field at the IPF to push out the weight room. If you wipe out Cobb, then you can expand the IPF with a new weight room and have the 2 fields running east to west across the current Cobb location....Crazily...the new 175,000 sq. foot facility does not have a new weight room, which shows how big it will be.

There's already a plan for the new weight room, it will LARGELY fit in the existing space, but will be improved and slightly renovated and will "open up on" the IPF space. The weight room will be on the western side of the IPF.

The lengthening of the IPF field will be on the eastern side of the IPF, and will extend the southern end downward into the eastern Greentree Field.

There's already a plan for the new weight room, it will LARGELY fit in the existing space, but will be improved and slightly renovated and will "open up on" the IPF space. The weight room will be on the western side of the IPF.

The lengthening of the IPF field will be on the eastern side of the IPF, and will extend the southern end downward into the eastern Greentree Field.

Does that include removing the offices which I believe are on a second floor in the bubble? And turning that into a second level of the weight room? I think Tennessee did the same when they redid their facility 5-6 years ago

Advertisement
Does that include removing the offices which I believe are on a second floor in the bubble? And turning that into a second level of the weight room? I think Tennessee did the same when they redid their facility 5-6 years ago

I can't speak for every office. The current weight room is already two stories (and I've posted pix before). The "remodel" will definitely include the glass wall that will look out into the IPF.

To the left of this picture is the IPF area (which is where the glass wall will go). To the right of this picture is "old Hecht" (only one story under offices). To be honest, it's not even "old Hecht", it's "new Schwartz". Essentially, this area gets expanded out, all 2-story, and pushed farther to the left.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back