Off-Topic Archeological Finds

One of these days, you're going to have to give us a beginner's guide to finding cool ****.
This one I found 5yrs ago, in Montverde Fl (Bella Collina Subdivision) surface find, after the Site Development Company was yanking up old Palmetto Bushes....
FB_IMG_1690973212695.jpg

Advertisement
4. Don't get eaten by an alligator
5. Don't get bitten by a snake
6. Don't get caught by a park ranger

4. Have a gun nearby; most alligators are too small to eat you, though they might nip you
5. Most snakes don't bite
6. Rangers can't do **** about this

Advertisement
4. Have a gun nearby; most alligators are too small to eat you, though they might nip you
5. Most snakes don't bite
6. Rangers can't do **** about this
I usually do.
Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seem more cottonmouths than I can count.

They can't say anything about digging in a park?

I usually do.
Maybe I'm jaded, but I've seem more cottonmouths than I can count.

They can't say anything about digging in a park?
I've dealt with more Moccasins/Cottonmouths (same snake by the way), Eastern Diamondbacks, Cranebrake Rattlers, etc....than you can imagine. The digging isn't done in a wide open area...more secluded, so any douchebag Game Wardens won't F with you over Disturbing Natural resources. Alot of Pre-Construction sites are made for surface hunting. Usually right after they root rake, and it rains. Most of my excavating is done in the Winter, when it's cooler with less insects (Mosquitoes...Chiggers (Red Mites) etc..)

I've dealt with more Moccasins/Cottonmouths (same snake by the way), Eastern Diamondbacks, Cranebrake Rattlers, etc....than you can imagine. The digging isn't done in a wide open area...more secluded, so any douchebag Game Wardens won't F with you over Disturbing Natural resources. Alot of Pre-Construction sites are made for surface hunting. Usually right after they root rake, and it rains. Most of my excavating is done in the Winter, when it's cooler with less insects (Mosquitoes...Chiggers (Red Mites) etc..)
We used to have a pond. Once the sawgrass started to grow near a large rock on the edge, the cottonmouths decided it was a good place to nest. Once you see a snake trying to flex on a riding mower going past, you decide they need to go.

We used to have a pond. Once the sawgrass started to grow near a large rock on the edge, the cottonmouths decided it was a good place to nest. Once you see a snake trying to flex on a riding mower going past, you decide they need to go.
I've seen 6ft to 7ft Eastern Diamondbacks on a weekly basis back in the day. Largest poisonous snake in North America. Coral Snakes alot as well. And they're the most poisonous snake in America.

Advertisement
I've seen 6ft to 7ft Eastern Diamondbacks on a weekly basis back in the day. Largest poisonous snake in North America. Coral Snakes alot as well. And they're the most poisonous snake in America.
A coral snake can't strike, that the only good part.

When we first moved here, the neighbor showed us a rattlesnake he killed that was touching the front of his long bed truck and hanging off the back. Been a long time since I've even seen one here.

A coral snake can't strike, that the only good part.

When we first moved here, the neighbor showed us a rattlesnake he killed that was touching the front of his long bed truck and hanging off the back. Been a long time since I've even seen one here.
Coral Snakes can strike, but their fangs are retracted...and they sort of have to chew, but their Toxin is like a Cobras. HIGHLY venomous.

@RVACane @SpikeUM @Rickd @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @JD08 @TheOriginalCane ....
Little story about these 2 Gems. The first (and smaller) Coral point was found in Polk County, on a High ground spot in Sugar White sand at a depth of 2ft. When I found this spot in 2005, I noticed waste flakes (left over from the Indians knapping the points) all over a certain area (about 300ft X 300ft Sq) I'm talking flakes EVERYWHERE. The second time I dug the site, I found the smaller (Ice Coral) point, after finding nothing but flakes (some small, some larger) and some pottery shards. A month after I found it, I was doing a show at St. Leo's College in Dade City (Pasco) And the smaller Ice Coral point ended up winning best of show....Now here's the insanity that ensued,.....Not 2 weeks later I hit the same spot again, and basically continued from where I had left off a few weeks earlier. When you dig, it's best to sort of trench at different angles, to cover as much ground as possible. Not 2hrs after getting there, and after finding "Less" flakes as I did weeks ago, The shovel "lightly" scraped upon the 2nd one. Pretty much same depth, as well as Sugar White sand. I honestly don't know know if they were a Cache, even though they're the exact same material, and the same type (Newnan)...the second point was found about 50ft from the 1st, which makes it unlikely being a Cache. Caches are usually together.
FB_IMG_1689860029242.jpg
FB_IMG_1690448733792.jpg

@RVACane @SpikeUM @Rickd @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @JD08 @TheOriginalCane ....
Little story about these 2 Gems. The first (and smaller) Coral point was found in Polk County, on a High ground spot in Sugar White sand at a depth of 2ft. When I found this spot in 2005, I noticed waste flakes (left over from the Indians knapping the points) all over a certain area (about 300ft X 300ft Sq) I'm talking flakes EVERYWHERE. The second time I dug the site, I found the smaller (Ice Coral) point, after finding nothing but flakes (some small, some larger) and some pottery shards. A month after I found it, I was doing a show at St. Leo's College in Dade City (Pasco) And the smaller Ice Coral point ended up winning best of show....Now here's the insanity that ensued,.....Not 2 weeks later I hit the same spot again, and basically continued from where I had left off a few weeks earlier. When you dig, it's best to sort of trench at different angles, to cover as much ground as possible. Not 2hrs after getting there, and after finding "Less" flakes as I did weeks ago, The shovel "lightly" scraped upon the 2nd one. Pretty much same depth, as well as Sugar White sand. I honestly don't know know if they were a Cache, even though they're the exact same material, and the same type (Newnan)...the second point was found about 50ft from the 1st, which makes it unlikely being a Cache. Caches are usually together. View attachment 249669View attachment 249671
What are they made of and how old are they?

Advertisement
Advertisement
@SpikeUM @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @RVACane @Rickd @JD08 .
Just got back from an Artifact excursion. I have a friend who lives in Citrus Cnty, and went up to see him for 4 days. Great thing is....A crazy amount of not only walk sites, but dig spots. It was wayyyy to F-ing Hot to do any excavating, so we hit a walk site that he knew of (He's a Superintendent of a Site Development Company) and not 15mins into the walk, this is just laying there completely exposed, as if someone just layed it there. Note the strip of Druzy Crystals that runs the length.
FB_IMG_1691747650594.jpg
FB_IMG_1691747658462.jpg
FB_IMG_1691747668779.jpg

Last edited:
@SpikeUM @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @RVACane @Rickd @JD08 .
Just got back from an Artifact excursion. I have a friend who lives in Citrus Cnty, and went up to see him for 4 days. Great thing is....A crazy amount of not only walk sites, but dig spots. It was wayyyy to F-ing Hot to do any excavating, so we hit a walk site that he knew of (He's a Superintendent of a Site Development Company) and not 15mins into the walk, this is just laying there completely exposed, as if someone just layed it there. Note the strop of Druzy Crystals that runs the length.View attachment 250519View attachment 250520View attachment 250521
That’s unreal that it was just there. What’s going on in the bottom picture?

Advertisement
Back