Off-Topic Archeological Finds

@SpikeUM @TheOriginalCane @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @Rickd @JD08
@pubmedu @RVACane ....
Little story about this Gem....
It was found by a close friend when he was 16yrs old, digging at a site in Tampa in 1990 with his Dad...It's name is "Big Red"...it's 5" made of Thermally Altered Agatized Coral and approximately 6,000yrs old. The finding sent Shockwaves throughout the Fl Archaeological world, because it's without any doubt the Nicest Projectile Point ever found in Florida's History. I've seen it at shows a hundred times, and have actually held it in my hands. In the past 25yrs I've attended a hundred shows, either as a participant or just attending as part of the public...and I've never seen anything like it. He was offered as much as $20,000...but turned all the offers down. The workmanship on it is absolutely absurd.
FB_IMG_1695765021217.jpg
newnan jim.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
@SpikeUM @TheOriginalCane @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @Rickd @JD08
@pubmedu @RVACane ....
Little story about this Gem....
It was found by a close friend when he was 16yrs old, digging at a site in Tampa in 1990 with his Dad...It's name is "Big Red"...it's 5" made of Thermally Altered Agatized Coral and approximately 6,000yrs old. The finding sent Shockwaves throughout the Fl Archaeological world, because it's without any doubt the Nicest Projectile Point ever found in Florida's History. I've seen it at shows a hundred times, and have actually held it in my hands. In the past 25yrs I've attended a hundred shows, either as a participant or just attending as part of the public...and I've never seen anything like it. He was offered as much as $20,000...but turned all the offers down. The workmanship on it is absolutely absurd. View attachment 259376View attachment 259377

I have to say these look like beautiful works of art. Amazing. So it’s coral that was heated?

I have to say these look like beautiful works of art. Amazing. So it’s coral that was heated?
Yes, Indians would take large pieces of either Chert (Flint) and large pieces (Geodes) of Agatized Coral, and bury them in underground hearths (similar to what Hawaiian's do with Pork)...the reasoning was, that by doing this it made it easy for them to work the material into points. At the same time, it would change the Molecular structure producing incredible colors.

Advertisement
Advertisement
@SpikeUM @JD08 @TheOriginalCane @Rickd @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @RVACane .....
This is part of a Horde of Chevron Glass Beads that I found recently, at a Dig site in Hernando Cnty. They originated in Italy...but then migrated to Spain and Africa. The Spanish brought them to America (Florida) in the 1500s. Crazy part is....the dig site has been mostly Projectile points, and some Pottery. A few weeks ago while excavating, one popped out from the sand, and I knew right away to run and grab my sifter, which culminated in a Horde of over a hundred. I'm going back next week, and bringing a Metal detector, because the Spanish brought loads of both Gold and Silver with the beads. The Withlacoochee River is a stones throw away from this particular dig site, which very well could be a major site....I also found the Drilled Shark Tooth along with the beads. Tomorrow I'm going to my Jeweler to have a necklace made for my GF with some of these beads.
FB_IMG_1707751808009.jpg
FB_IMG_1707758062623.jpg

Advertisement
@SpikeUM @JD08 @TheOriginalCane @Rickd @OriginalCanesCanesCanes @RVACane .....
This is part of a Horde of Chevron Glass Beads that I found recently, at a Dig site in Hernando Cnty. They originated in Italy...but then migrated to Spain and Africa. The Spanish brought them to America (Florida) in the 1500s. Crazy part is....the dig site has been mostly Projectile points, and some Pottery. A few weeks ago while excavating, one popped out from the sand, and I knew right away to run and grab my sifter, which culminated in a Horde of over a hundred. I'm going back next week, and bringing a Metal detector, because the Spanish brought loads of both Gold and Silver with the beads. The Withlacoochee River is a stones throw away from this particular dig site, which very well could be a major site....I also found the Drilled Shark Tooth along with the beads. Tomorrow I'm going to my Jeweler to have a necklace made for my GF with some of these beads.View attachment 282219View attachment 282220
@SpikeUM @JD08 @RVACane @Rickd @TheOriginalCane @OriginalCanesCanesCanes .....
Welp, went back to the spot near the Withlacoochee River with a friend. I brought a Metal detector as well with me. Hunted for atleast 2 hrs with absolutely no luck, and decided to go off the beaten path from where I found those beads. I was probably 100yds from my original site, and walked down a ravine that was maybe 200yds from the river itself.....and the detector started going off left & right. To make a long story short.....without question my Greatest finds (Historical) that I ever found. Red Highlights are without question Gold....the rest are Silver. All are pendants....I was literally shaking the entire time. My buddy (who has an extensive collection himself) was absolutely stunned. Most were found no more than 6" deep in and around the ravine. I'm going to take them to a prominent Fl Artifact expert next week, and find out more info on them. I do know they're Spanish....approximately 500-600yrs old. We're talking an estimate of $50,000 (conservatively)....I'm still at a loss of words. Cleaned them off in Warm water with a soft bristle toothbrush.
FB_IMG_1710022556264~2.jpg

Welp, went back to the spot near the Withlacoochee River with a friend. I brought a Metal detector as well with me. Hunted for atleast 2 hrs with absolutely no luck, and decided to go off the beaten path from where I found those beads. I was probably 100yds from my original site, and walked down a ravine that was maybe 200yds from the river itself.....and the detector started going off left & right. To make a long story short.....without question my Greatest finds (Historical) that I ever found. Red Highlights are without question Gold....the rest are Silver. All are pendants....I was literally shaking the entire time. My buddy (who has an extensive collection himself) was absolutely stunned. Most were found no more than 6" deep in and around the ravine. I'm going to take them to a prominent Fl Artifact expert next week, and find out more info on them. I do know they're Spanish....approximately 500-600yrs old. We're talking an estimate of $50,000 (conservatively)....I'm still at a loss of words. Cleaned them off in Warm water with a soft bristle toothbrush. View attachment 284329
Insane!!!! Un-freaking-believable!!!!

Welp, went back to the spot near the Withlacoochee River with a friend. I brought a Metal detector as well with me. Hunted for atleast 2 hrs with absolutely no luck, and decided to go off the beaten path from where I found those beads. I was probably 100yds from my original site, and walked down a ravine that was maybe 200yds from the river itself.....and the detector started going off left & right. To make a long story short.....without question my Greatest finds (Historical) that I ever found. Red Highlights are without question Gold....the rest are Silver. All are pendants....I was literally shaking the entire time. My buddy (who has an extensive collection himself) was absolutely stunned. Most were found no more than 6" deep in and around the ravine. I'm going to take them to a prominent Fl Artifact expert next week, and find out more info on them. I do know they're Spanish....approximately 500-600yrs old. We're talking an estimate of $50,000 (conservatively)....I'm still at a loss of words. Cleaned them off in Warm water with a soft bristle toothbrush. View attachment 284329
Unreal. Thanks for the continued updates!

Advertisement
That area was, what, along the banks of Lake Apopka?

I grew up a couple of miles away, by Lake Lotus and the Little Wekiva.
Yessir...The Subdivision is now Westyn Bay....I had a ridiculous Dig site where a Creek opened up into Lake Apopka. It was once Orange Groves, but after the freezes in the late 70s...The State gave Agricultural Tax breaks to the Grove owners if they planted Rows of Pine trees.

Advertisement
Back