AR82

Though I don't agree with you, your post is very solid. However, numbers and stats can be manipulated and therefore will never tell the entire story.

You are correct in the fact that Amari Cooper in 2014, by his lonesome, had better numbers than our top 3 receivers last year. However, the narrative of the OP is about if A.R. is "healthy". AR, at his top, completely changes those figures. Last year, he was one of our top 3 receivers while only playing in about 5 games (IIRC). Simply plugging in AR's freshman numbers, takes away your argument. I would think, that you can agree that if healthy, AR as a junior, will far surpass his freshman numbers.

By you providing the data in your post, you are actually proving the very point, that you are opposing.

My argument isn't against AR82 having the talent to be heisman finalist type WR. My argument is this offense won't produce one. This offense has too may weapons at WR/TE and too may RB's that catch the ball out the backfield to generate the type of season a WR needs to make heisman push. Being a WR Heisman finalist is rare and takes a special set of circumstances (nationally top ranked team) and stats.

Advertisement
I'm guessing you chose your screen name since you replaced your brain with a pickle. Knight was the qb on two teams that won 11 games. He led one of teams to a win in the Sugar Bowl over #3 Alabama. This is a fact.

You agree that Knight doesn't deserve credit as being the leader of the 11 win teams because he wasn't good enough to be the starting qb for all 11 games. Yet this qb who wasn't good enough was still getting s#cked sideways by sunshine slurper fans such as yourself who said he was a "winner" and knew how to make clutch plays. The stats told a different story.

The Sugar Bowl winning qb who was a starter for nearly two full seasons on two different teams (2014 Oklahoma and 2016 TTU), who is now mocked for being embarrassingly inaccurate had a career completion rating of 55.5%. Rosier has a career completion rating of 51.6%. Yet you believe Rosier is more likely to lead Miami to another 10 win season than he is to lead them to an 8-5 season. Yeah, I'm the one who is making up sh#t as he goes along.

Backtrack some more please. You said he led Oklahoma to two 11 win teams and then they decided to go with Mayfield. Don't know how else to tell you that's just wrong.

I absolutely believe Rosier will lead us to (at least) another 10 win season if Richt lets him start every game and he remains healthy. I predicted we'd go undefeated last year, and we nearly did. Most people were predicting 8 wins for last year too. I'm more comfortable with that prediction because I know how Rosier plays when the pressure is on. With Kaaya, you knew he'd have to beat them early because he couldn't lead the team with the game on the line. That despite a far better completion percentage. Go figure.

Backtrack some more please. You said he led Oklahoma to two 11 win teams and then they decided to go with Mayfield. Don't know how else to tell you that's just wrong.

I absolutely believe Rosier will lead us to (at least) another 10 win season if Richt lets him start every game and he remains healthy. I predicted we'd go undefeated last year, and we nearly did. Most people were predicting 8 wins for last year too. I'm more comfortable with that prediction because I know how Rosier plays when the pressure is on. With Kaaya, you knew he'd have to beat them early because he couldn't lead the team with the game on the line. That despite a far better completion percentage. Go figure.

Rosier knows how to play when the pressure is on despite being unable to consistently throw accurate passes. Where have I heard that before...

"Knight brings the maturity and leadership that A&M has lacked at quarterback. Knight was known for his gunslinging ability -- both good and bad -- but his claim to fame is his gutty, 45-31 upset win over Alabama in the 2013 Sugar Bowl, during which his ability to extend plays helped him scorch Alabama's world-class defense for 348 passing yards and four touchdowns.

"He's been in big games and he's won them," Sumlin said. "You can count them on one hand the guys who have done it [beaten Alabama over the past three years]. I'm not real smart, but that's a place to start."

Why Trevor Knight is Kevin Sumlin's most important QB recruit

And this is a guy whose completion percentage is 4 points higher than Rosier. I predicted a 1 loss season in 2017, so I guess I was even closer to being correct than you. Thing is, I had no data about Rosier, I based that prediction on the head to head statistical breakdowns you can find on various betting and college football websites. I figured Rosier just had to be a caretaker QB, smart with the ball and give it to Walton, then sprinkle in a few passes. Now I have a full season of data to make a judgment for next year. If Rosier starts, then I HOPE he improves his accuracy- I have no vested interest in seeing the kid fail. The data shows that he is more likely to replicate his accuracy numbers than to make a large improvement. Doesn't necessarily mean he can't be a qb on a winning team (like Knight). Rosier can play that caretaker role in 2018, just has to hand the rock to our stable of RBs and make a few throws, so it is possible he can be the qb on an 11 win team, but I still don't think he is capable of leading them an ACC title. You have to have good qb play, because a good defense will take away the run game. Can Rosier "take over" a game? I highly doubt it. I wouldn't count on him being clutch again. The thing about being "clutch" is that it is provably random from year to year. I'm guessing you think Rosier was clutch in the FSU game. Take a look at it one more time.

It was a hail mary throw into double coverage, ball was tipped and Langham somehow still managed to make the catch. Would you also call it clutch if on fourth down with 10 seconds to go in the game a qb throws the ball directly into a defender's chest, but the ball bounces off his chest to the WR who runs it into the end zone? Langham was clutch. Rosier was lucky. If Langham drops the ball in the GT and FSU game, then Miami finishes the season 8-5 or worse. That is a fact.

Last edited:
Rosier knows how to play when the pressure is on despite being unable to consistently throw accurate passes. Where have I heard that before...

Why Trevor Knight is Kevin Sumlin's most important QB recruit

"Knight brings the maturity and leadership that A&M has lacked at quarterback. Knight was known for his gunslinging ability -- both good and bad -- but his claim to fame is his gutty, 45-31 upset win over Alabama in the 2013 Sugar Bowl, during which his ability to extend plays helped him scorch Alabama's world-class defense for 348 passing yards and four touchdowns.

"He's been in big games and he's won them," Sumlin said. "You can count them on one hand the guys who have done it [beaten Alabama over the past three years]. I'm not real smart, but that's a place to start."

Uh, ok.

True freshman looks accurate on Greentree and is announced the starter, where have I heard that before?

2014 Miami Hurricanes football team - Wikipedia

We can go round and round. I'll support whatever decision Richt makes, but leadership and poise go a long way at the QB position. It's why Rosier has had more success than Kaaya, despite having fewer weapons.

Something that gets lost in the QB rating arguments is that Richards gets a huge assist for that 54% completion rate. He dropped a lot of balls that hit him in the hands which would have helped that stat and our atrocious 3rd down conversion rate. As I recall his drops were even the topic of some articles last season.

I'm hoping its because of his early hamstring and he just never really got in the groove. Good route runner, got open, but inconsistent as heck - I held my breath every time the ball headed his way in a big situation. Time for him to stay healthy and have a monster year.

Advertisement
I'm as big a homer as the next guy, but if you need to pull Calvin Johnson stats to make a point, then you more than likely don't have a point.

That dude is an all time freak. There is no Calvin Johnson on this roster.

Richards not only needs to get and stay healthy, he has to eliminate the drop issues he's had here if he even wants get to Amari Cooper comparisons.

Imo he is still very much a work in progress with a lot to prove.

I'm as big a homer as the next guy, but if you need to pull Calvin Johnson stats to make a point, then you more than likely don't have a point.

That dude is an all time freak. There is no Calvin Johnson on this roster.

Richards not only needs to get and stay healthy, he has to eliminate the drop issues he's had here if he even wants get to Amari Cooper comparisons.

Imo he is still very much a work in progress with a lot to prove.

I didn't need Calvin Johnson stats, he's the first guy to come to mind. Why? Because GT has notoriously inaccurate QBs. Who would be the next to come to mind? Demaryius Thomas. And what do you know Nesbitt had a 46% completion percentage when he led the ACC with 1150 yards and 8 TD. But before we go any further, is Thomas too good of a football player for me to make this comparison? Because I'll find someone else. It's really the stupidest thing I've ever heard that a WR can't put up good numbers because of a QB's completion percentage. Although I guess I'm not surprised so many of you believe that.

Advertisement
43.7% of the passes went to him.

42.7% of the passes went to Amari in 2014, for comparison.

U do realize that all the GT QB did was throw the ball up to Johnson and let him 50/50 it, right?

So yes, he was very inaccurate, but CJ was an absolute freak! 6’5 235 running a 4.35 w like a 40+ in vertical. I meaaaaaaaaan, how can u defend him? U can’t; and the NFL found that out as well.

So ur comparison in QB accuracy in regards to WR production is not accurate. AR is nice, I mean real nice...but he’s not Calvin Johnson nice. Calvin is in rare air; a WR in a TE’s body, that have basket ball hops and slot receiver speed.

U do realize that all the GT QB did was throw the ball up to Johnson and let him 50/50 it, right?

So yes, he was very inaccurate, but CJ was an absolute freak! 6’5 235 running a 4.35 w like a 40+ in vertical. I meaaaaaaaaan, how can u defend him? U can’t; and the NFL found that out as well.

So ur comparison in QB accuracy in regards to WR production is not accurate. AR is nice, I mean real nice...but he’s not Calvin Johnson nice. Calvin is in rare air; a WR in a TE’s body, that have basket ball hops and slot receiver speed.

Obviously he made great catches with his body but to say that all they did was throw 50/50 balls is more hyperbole and I'd recommend re-watching his game against us in 2005, since you don't seem to remember. Or you could watch any highlight reel of him at GT.

I just admitted he was the first guy to come to mind, and that any GT receiver with success would also apply. I'm sure it's not hard to find a college receiver that excelled with a QB that had a lower completion percentage.

Obviously he made great catches with his body but to say that all they did was throw 50/50 balls is more hyperbole and I'd recommend re-watching his game against us in 2005, since you don't seem to remember. Or you could watch any highlight reel of him at GT.

I just admitted he was the first guy to come to mind, and that any GT receiver with success would also apply. I'm sure it's not hard to find a college receiver that excelled with a QB that had a lower completion percentage.

As I stated; CJ was a freak. A lot of his catches were made DESPITE having a **** poor QB. So again, my point is that’s the exception, not the rule. AR82 is a great WR, but Calvin Johnson is an all time great, who, if he didn’t retire early, would’ve challenged for some NFL records.

As I stated; CJ was a freak. A lot of his catches were made DESPITE having a **** poor QB. So again, my point is that’s the exception, not the rule. AR82 is a great WR, but Calvin Johnson is an all time great, who, if he didn’t retire early, would’ve challenged for some NFL records.

Where did I say it's the rule that every great WR played with a horrifically inaccurate QB? The arguments you guys get yourselves into is crazy. I literally just said that if Calvin Johnson is too great of a player for that comparison (even though 44% is pretty horrid), that Thomas would also provide the same argument. So again I ask, is Demaryius Thomas too great of a player to make the comparison?

Advertisement
Watching these Calvin Johnson highlights hit me thinking we have a mini version of him in Evidence Njoku. I think we’ll See him Alot red zone.

Something that gets lost in the QB rating arguments is that Richards gets a huge assist for that 54% completion rate. He dropped a lot of balls that hit him in the hands which would have helped that stat and our atrocious 3rd down conversion rate. As I recall his drops were even the topic of some articles last season.
Richards had his share of drops last year for sure. He had 4 against Syracuse alone. However, according to Richt, he didn't even have a total 10 drops for the entire season. Therefore, to insinuate that Richards played a big role in Rosier only completing 54% of his passes, is beyond an a ridiculous statement, it's simply not true.

As I mentioned, Richards didn't have 10 drops last season, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say he did. If you add ten completions to Rosier's stats, his percentage only goes up to 56%. The facts does not support your argument of Richards deserving a "huge assist" for Rosier's low 54% completion percentage.

Advertisement
Where did I say it's the rule that every great WR played with a horrifically inaccurate QB? The arguments you guys get yourselves into is crazy. I literally just said that if Calvin Johnson is too great of a player for that comparison (even though 44% is pretty horrid), that Thomas would also provide the same argument. So again I ask, is Demaryius Thomas too great of a player to make the comparison?

Never said u said anything. I said that was my point. Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t u trying to make a point that Rosier’s completion % “could potentially” not be that big of an issue and u supplied an example of what Calvin Johnson did w/ a 44 completion % QB. If I’m wrong w ur point, then I apologize; but if I’m right, my counter was that Calvin made his QB look great b/c he’s a freak of nature. And have u not seen DT as well?

Look; I think AR82 is going to have a great season, period.

Dude showed up for fall camp as a freshman and almost got 1,000 yards just on big plays. He was never right last year with lingering hamstring stuff. He was never able to shift to 5th gear due to that strain.

If he's healthy, he will be a big play waiting to happen every time he touches the ball. Run him on a few crossing patterns and deep balls a game and at least one is going 40+ for a TD each game.

Richards had his share of drops last year for sure. He had 4 against Syracuse alone. However, according to Richt, he didn't even have a total 10 drops for the entire season. Therefore, to insinuate that Richards played a big role in Rosier only completing 54% of his passes, is beyond an a ridiculous statement, it's simply not true.

As I mentioned, Richards didn't have 10 drops last season, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say he did. If you add ten completions to Rosier's stats, his percentage only goes up to 56%. The facts does not support your argument of Richards deserving a "huge assist" for Rosier's low 54% completion percentage.

Considering he had 24 catches 10 drops is a pretty big # regardless. Again yjough ill say i think he will make us forget about last season.

Advertisement
Back