Apr 25 at North Carolina noon ACCNX

We went up losing 2 of 3? Can't hate that. Where you see us right now?
The RPI road effect at it’s finest. Eyeballing the scores of our opponents we may drop to 20th regardless of what teams behind us do today.

Good RPI and a winning record in the ACC should have us as a solid two seed at the moment. I’m a little nervous about our final conference record given our struggles against average (GT) and above average (Louisville) teams. A sweep next weekend would help.

Advertisement
Here we are a few weeks out from season end and we have no lineup that has been productive and no set rotation

Recipe for disaster. Hopefully we find it in next couple of weeks
I'm afraid we are who we are, a middle of the road hitting and pitching team that can make some noise but against quality teams is more likely to lose. Tough season. Any future success depends upon finding/developing a solid rotation (ERA of 4 or under combined) and changing our approach at the plate. We have been recruiting well, can Gino make it translate?

Advertisement
VT gets swept by NC State. This league is really mediocre right now.
I disagree. There just isn’t an elite team. State could slug their way through a regional. Pitt, VT, and ND are the best they’ve been since ACC expansion. It’s not the SEC but right now nobody is.

I know we are all hoping/trying to see this team w our orange and green glasses, but outside of Palmquist and maybe CDC (a Sr transfer), who do you really have confidence in if the game is on the line?

This was possibly our best offensive lineup on paper since '08, certainly since '16, and yet the pitching and defense have performed better. Baseball is a tough game to try to "turn it on" in the post-season, and while I'd love for that to happen, this feels like a one win regional team. It sucks we didn't get to see what last year's rotation might have done, but as someone pointed out, our offense would have probably fallen short in any event.

I am starting to wonder how accurate these recruiting rankings really are because, if they are indicative of talent, it seems to imply our coaching, player development and strength and conditioning is really average at best. Far too many of our position players regress from their freshman year.

We’re actually up a spot in the RPI to the 19th at the moment. With hosting off the table, four more ACC wins should do the trick. Might need a fifth including then ACC Tournament.
The crazy thing is we're still only a few games from winning the Coastal. With Pitt having Covid and VT getting swept by NC State, Miami is just 2.5 games out of the Coastal lead and 1 5 games out of 2nd.

Advertisement
I know we are all hoping/trying to see this team w our orange and green glasses, but outside of Palmquist and maybe CDC (a Sr transfer), who do you really have confidence in if the game is on the line?

This was possibly our best offensive lineup on paper since '08, certainly since '16, and yet the pitching and defense have performed better. Baseball is a tough game to try to "turn it on" in the post-season, and while I'd love for that to happen, this feels like a one win regional team. It sucks we didn't get to see what last year's rotation might have done, but as someone pointed out, our offense would have probably fallen short in any event.

I am starting to wonder how accurate these recruiting rankings really are because, if they are indicative of talent, it seems to imply our coaching, player development and strength and conditioning is really average at best. Far too many of our position players regress from their freshman year.
Look man. Last year got canceled. So theae 2nd year guys are just as inexperienced as the true freshman. With position players, the freshman aren't the problem. We have two. Morales and Pitelli are holding their own. The veterans aren't getting it done.
We are too reliant on freshman pitching. I can't remember a freshman weekend ACC starting pitcher and we have 2. This is a problem. It's not their fault. It's an indictment on the lack of veteran pitching. Just have to hope these guys grow up quickly, but they should be really good next year and the following year.

Random musings from the stat sheet:
-We have a starter with an ERA under 4! Garland’s is down to 3.94.

-In the batting average can be misleading category: we have all nine guys with a batting average of .248 or higher, with two of them (both with a last name of Del Castillo) over .300. While nothing to jump and down about there are years we would have killed for that, and yet we don’t pass the eye test against good pitching. Maybe more tellingly: team BA is .260 in conference games with Rivera batting .167 and Lala .224

-Fielding percentage is up to .970, which would have been crazy about six weeks ago

-Also in the hard to believe in mid-March category: Pitelli is up to .271 and Toral is batting .296. Pitelli is batting .311 in 74 ACC at bats!

-CDC’s offensive numbers are on a very similar pace to the full season output of George Iskenderian (CDC gives us way more with the glove) who I would I argue was the best offensive transfer we’ve had in many years. Danny Reyes might have been in that category with a better supporting cast and without injuring his hand.

Last edited:
Del has 12 RBI in conference play and we are within reach of the Coastal. If he ever heats up it will open up some doors.

I disagree. There just isn’t an elite team. State could slug their way through a regional. Pitt, VT, and ND are the best they’ve been since ACC expansion. It’s not the SEC but right now nobody is.
Right, mediocre. When a league has no elite teams and is relying on programs in the northeast and Midwest to carry the load, the league is mediocre.

Advertisement
Look man. Last year got canceled. So theae 2nd year guys are just as inexperienced as the true freshman. With position players, the freshman aren't the problem. We have two. Morales and Pitelli are holding their own. The veterans aren't getting it done.
We are too reliant on freshman pitching. I can't remember a freshman weekend ACC starting pitcher and we have 2. This is a problem. It's not their fault. It's an indictment on the lack of veteran pitching. Just have to hope these guys grow up quickly, but they should be really good next year and the following year.
In 2019 Pelio from BC and Sharpe from Clemson were two of the better pitchers in the ACC as Freshman. It can be done. Mederos and Rosario came in with so much hype even as Freshman the 6+ ERA is concerning. Both have plus stuff so hopefully more PT helps.

In 2019 Pelio from BC and Sharpe from Clemson were two of the better pitchers in the ACC as Freshman. It can be done. Mederos and Rosario came in with so much hype even as Freshman the 6+ ERA is concerning. Both have plus stuff so hopefully more PT helps.
UF has certainly thrown freshman at us on weekend also. Same with Louisville if I remember correctly.

Advertisement
Not sure what your point is, because it sounds like you are agreeing with me on the veterans and their lack of clutch production. And the lack of development/improvement of guys like Lala, Jenkins, Gil, Rivera, etc. is a huge concern.

Look, I'd love nothing more than this team and those vets to get on a roll and play .800 ball the rest of the way, and maybe even upset someone and win a regional. But to my original point about turning on the A game when you need it, that's tough to do. But maybe more fans and more on the line in the post-season will be the jump-start they need. UVA did it when they won their natty.

Had a wet dream about tomorrow's batting order:

Pitelli SS
Yoyo 3B
Delly CF
Del RF
Toral 1B
Vilar 2B
Gil DH
Perez C
Lala LF

Advertisement
Back