Anyone worried about the middle of the Dline this year?

Key to D will be interior DL's ability to hold up against the run. Plenty of speed and athletes to get after the QB, so what happens when teams put on big boy pants and try running it down our throat?

Who's the best rushing offense on our schedule this season.

Advertisement
Ford was a Green Tree AA coming out of fall camp and flashed a few times and that’s about it. I know that Nesta was injured but when he was healthy he did very little. Miller is going into his 3rd year and was a developmental player. Holley and HH are gonna be RFr. To me, it’s a glaring issue unless two of those guys improve a ton without an off-season.
No.
We have a Miller. I'm telling you gove this man some serious burn on the field and watch him wreck havoc.
And I believe Holley will have a great year in rotation off the bench. I think a rotation of Ford, Nesta, Miller and Holley will be very **** good. This season needs to start.

Wisconsin de-animalized Willis.
Do you mean in the game he didn't play? My goodness. Apart from your comment...

I have no idea how Gerald Willis had the energy to apparently **** so many CIS members' chicks, but I've never seen a dude libeled more after producing a top level season. Was he perfect? Obviously not. Was he a great NFL prospect? Obviously the kid has a number of on and off field issues. But, it feels weird to consistently - for over a year now - defend a player who gave us a **** of a season.

Nesta needs to step up. Hopefully he's gotten off his own hype train.

With that being said, I do like our top 3 guys. Depth is the biggest issue. If one man goes down your relying on two RS freshman in your two deep with nothing behind it. That's scary

I mean were you upset with the dline play last year? All we did was add depth and experience, we did not lose an impact DT.

Also, with our DEs, you have to think that is where teams are going to double team so the interior should get some favorable match-ups.

Advertisement
J. Phillips, Ford, Miller, and Silvera. Someone is going to step up.

Has there been talk of moving J Phillips inside? I know he got huge after a year of training, but hadn’t heard they were gonna think about playIng him inside.

Has there been talk of moving J Phillips inside? I know he got huge after a year of training, but hadn’t heard they were gonna think about playIng him inside.
As far as i know he's listed as a DT. If he isn't he isn't. Im not looking for the know it all award. Just talking football. If you know different post it...

Advertisement
So so true. And, if you've been on this board long enough, you'll see new posters come on who are thoughtful posters, like yourself, who, as part of their contribution to the board, take that role of dispelling dumb notions until they too tire from it and then retire from it.

It ain't my job to dispel every dumb notion & thread by our fans, I do it often enough & after a while it gets tiresome.

So so true. And, if you've been on this board long enough, you'll see new posters come on who are thoughtful posters, like yourself, who, as part of their contribution to the board, take that role of dispelling dumb notions until they too tire from it and then retire from it.
You guys ever considered that some people have more on their plate than just football? Then come on here to get the info that they either have no time or enough interest for?
This holiest then thou narrative smells of I'm better than you because I spend all my time reading football websites....

Ford was a Green Tree AA coming out of fall camp and flashed a few times and that’s about it. I know that Nesta was injured but when he was healthy he did very little. Miller is going into his 3rd year and was a developmental player. Holley and HH are gonna be RFr. To me, it’s a glaring issue unless two of those guys improve a ton without an off-season.
Not concerned about interior line at all fam. Will show up and be good enough to help win Coastal.

Advertisement
Dudes need to quit expecting interior linemen to flourish in year one or two out of HS. Those dudes almost always take time. Even the great ones.

Look at guy like Suh at Nebraska. Didn't do **** till his junior year. Then, he absolutely blew up like he came out of nowhere. Same with all of our truly great DTs. Most of them weren't **** till their 3rd or 4th year out of HS.

It's real man business in the interior. Kids tend to get abused in there.

I expect Ford, Silvera, and Miller to be hosses in the middle this year. Miller is a guy I can see being one of those "where'd he come from?" guys.

Advertisement
Cool. So there it is. So now that tbe semantics are out of the way
We can stick to the other guys mentioned. Which everyone has already suggested we'll be alright . Where can I send your trophy for internet genius?
What? Dude if you really don’t understand football but just like to watch that’s cool. Just say that and keep it moving it’s plenty of people that are like that.

You guys ever considered that some people have more on their plate than just football? Then come on here to get the info that they either have no time or enough interest for?
This holiest then thou narrative smells of I'm better than you because I spend all my time reading football websites....
You assume I don't?

No one is being holier than thou or acting as if they're better, no need for passive aggressive subtle shots, it ain't got shìt to do with reading football websites, I actually played the game so my understanding comes from that perspective.

The point is, there are better ways to inform yourself about something you're asking instead of just lobbing blanketed statements about something that you might be unsure of.

Our DL was & still is a strong point for our Defense, looking at individual stats wouldn't reflect that, but knowing the assignments & what they were asked to do they played to their assignments. Were they perfect? No absolutely not. Can they & do they need to improve? 1,000%. But when people say they haven't done anything or shown anything that's where the frustration comes from on my part, because it removes all context & just judges their play on a limited basis.

Perfect example, anybody who watched Jon Ford vs UVA, FSU, Pitt & Duke can't say he's not good or hasn't shown anything, but just because most fans just look at Box score stats they think he hasn't played well. His primary job was to be a 2-gap space eater to free up the rushers, he's wasn't tasked with being a pass rusher getting heavy TFL's like Willis & RJ did, his job was to clear the runway for Shaq & Pinck & to allow Rousseau the ability to get more one on ones in his stunts & his ability to move around.

The question shouldn't be are people worried about Ford, Nesta, Miller etc, the question should be will Blake Baker make adjustments to put them in a better position to be more effective in aspects of rushing the passer or do they feel due to the step up in Run Defense that they've used them correctly?

The players are fine they're more than good enough to get the job done, the issue is how will the coaches use them & what exactly is their philosophy in how they want to use them... We had less interior TFL's from the DT's than we've had in 2017 & 2018 but had a better Run Defense, so what does that tell you about the shift in assignments they gave the DT's?

You assume I don't?

No one is being holier than thou or acting as if they're better, no need for passive aggressive subtle shots, it ain't got shìt to do with reading football websites, I actually played the game so my understanding comes from that perspective.

The point is, there are better ways to inform yourself about something you're asking instead of just lobbing blanketed statements about something that you might be unsure of.

Our DL was & still is a strong point for our Defense, looking at individual stats wouldn't reflect that, but knowing the assignments & what they were asked to do they played to their assignments. Were they perfect? No absolutely not. Can they & do they need to improve? 1,000%. But when people say they haven't done anything or shown anything that's where the frustration comes from on my part, because it removes all context & just judges their play on a limited basis.

Perfect example, anybody who watched Jon Ford vs UVA, FSU, Pitt & Duke can't say he's not good or hasn't shown anything, but just because most fans just look at Box score stats they think he hasn't played well. His primary job was to be a 2-gap space eater to free up the rushers, he's wasn't tasked with being a pass rusher getting heavy TFL's like Willis & RJ did, his job was to clear the runway for Shaq & Pinck.

The question shouldn't be are people worried about Ford, Nesta, Miller etc, the question should be will Blake Baker make adjustments to put them in a better position to be more effective in aspects of rushing the passer or do they feel due to the step up in Run Defense that they've used them correctly?

The players are fine they're more than good enough to get the job done, the issue is how will the coaches use them & what exactly is their philosophy in how they want to use them... We had less interior TFL's from the DT's than we've had in 2017 & 2018 but had a better Run Defense, so what does that tell you about the shift in assignments they gave the DT's?
That's all I've said. Miller is my guy. It's all good bruh. Congrats...

Advertisement
Back