Anyone remember Beau Sandland?

Advertisement
I wonder why he didn't transfer to another FBS school when he left Miami. It looks to me like he was looking for softer competition. I say that because usually when a guy transfers down, it's because he wants to play right away without having to sit out a year. Sandland took a RS by choice when he transferred down.

Advertisement
I applaud him for doing what he felt was in his best interests but the truth is, he wasn't very good. From his first practice, the reports coming out were that he was over-matched and un-athletic. He caught almost everything thrown his way but if you're never open, having good hands is worthless.

The TEs weighed in & were measured today...

Beau Sandland: 6-4 253 -- -- -- -- -- 34 1/4 (arm length) 10 1/8 (hand span)

Looked like a potential star coming out of JUCO. Everyone wanted him.

Then, based on the "reports" of a few dudes, who were being fed info by coaches who obviously didn't want to look like shytheads for getting nothing out of a really nice prospect, Sandland was suddenly garbage. Suddenly, he lacked any physical ability to play at this level despite everyone's eyes telling them differently a few months earlier.

Advertisement
I applaud him for doing what he felt was in his best interests but the truth is, he wasn't very good. From his first practice, the reports coming out were that he was over-matched and un-athletic. He caught almost everything thrown his way but if you're never open, having good hands is worthless.
The fact he even got invited to the NFL combine belies the claim that he's devoid of athletic ability. There are a select few at each position invited to the combine.

How could he catch anything if he was never open?

Not sure if you're aware but often times, in practice, they're not going up against live competition. Throw a bunch of passes to me with nobody near me and I'll catch a few. Line up a FBS level DB across from me and I'll likely never get open.

As for the combine, it's not exactly a loaded year for tight ends in the draft. They probably figured a guy with good size who had a productive year against weaker competition was worth a look. There's also a TE at the combine from Harvard. It probably helps that he got lots of FBS attention coming out of JUCO.

Advertisement
The kid wanted to play and start at Miami and that wasn't going to happen. He made the right move and transferred to Montana State and had a very solid season. Best of luck.

Not sure if you're aware but often times, in practice, they're not going up against live competition. Throw a bunch of passes to me with nobody near me and I'll catch a few. Line up a FBS level DB across from me and I'll likely never get open.

As for the combine, it's not exactly a loaded year for tight ends in the draft. They probably figured a guy with good size who had a productive year against weaker competition was worth a look. There's also a TE at the combine from Harvard. It probably helps that he got lots of FBS attention coming out of JUCO.

Ok so no shot in the League right? That your hot take chief?

Advertisement

Awww, your feeling get hurt, buddy? Look, you made a wise *** remark. I guess you were trying to insult my post? All I did was clearly explain that you can, in fact have good hands even without the ability to get open. Will he be an NFL tight end? Possibly. He would have had to improve significantly from his time at Miami and you usually don't get better by stepping down in competition but you never know for sure. So, I guess that's my hot take there, chief.

Awww, your feeling get hurt, buddy? Look, you made a wise *** remark. I guess you were trying to insult my post? All I did was clearly explain that you can, in fact have good hands even without the ability to get open. Will he be an NFL tight end? Possibly. He would have had to improve significantly from his time at Miami and you usually don't get better by stepping down in competition but you never know for sure. So, I guess that's my hot take there, chief.

Ok ace, just wanted your non-answer on record. Hey since you're so dialed-in to our practices, can you throw the rest of us a bone with some pics and vids?

How do you know how good he was at Miami?

A family friend was a member of the equipment staff while Sandland was enrolled at Miami. He worked every practice and saw which players could play and which couldn't. Like most, I was excited about Bo and all the Shockey comparisons. When I asked my friend about him specifically he flat told me he doesn't stand out at all and probably wouldn't play much. Now, you can call me a liar and not believe anything I'm typing. That's fine. You can chose not to believe any of the media reports regarding him and his inability to stand out in practices too. That's your opinion. Like I said, it's possible he put in a bunch of work and improved but that's a tough call as he's only played against poor competition. I think it's fair to say most would be surprised if he becomes an NFL regular.

Advertisement
Back