Anybody else agree that A&M is a “must win” right now?

I think Mario is using these 2 games as the get ready for a&m. Wouldn’t be surprised if next week is closer than expected. I’m more interested in how prepared we are. How we respond to the scoreboard. At the presser Mario said he couldn’t wait to get back to work today. We got the right guy and staff. Execution is A key.

I expect the opposite after the way we played defensively last weekend; the tackling and overall discipline was atrocious.

Our performance was unacceptable and I expect to see something different this weekend.

If Mario is who I think he is he'll fix it come **** or high water.

Advertisement
"Must" demands an effect, such as an "or else" followed by a penalty. For example:

You must bring your vehicle to a stop at all red traffic signals. The implication? Or else you significantly increase your risk at having your vehicle destroyed by perpendicular traffic flow.

You must not forget your wife's birthday. The implication? Or else you will be sleeping on the couch for quite some time.

Fill in the blank:
Mario Cristobal's Miami Hurricanes must defeat the Texas A&M Aggies on September 17th, Or else ___________________________________________________.

What follows "Or Else"?

Last edited:
"Must" demands an effect, such as an "or else" followed by a penalty. For example:

You must bring your vehicle to a stop at all red traffic signals. The implication? Or else you significantly increase your risk at having your vehicle destroyed by perpendicular traffic flow.

You must not forget your wife's birthday. The implication? Or else you will be sleeping on the couch for quite some time.

Fill in the blank:
Maria Cristobal's Miami Hurricanes must defeat the Texas A&M Aggies on September 17th, Or else ___________________________________________________.

What follows "Or Else"?
…or else Miami is perceived by some recruits as maybe not being a good choice to attend school and play football? That opposing coaches will undoubtably use a bad loss to a slightly above average SEC team as “further evidence” that Mario maybe a great recruiter but not necessarily a good game day coach?

…or else Miami is perceived by some recruits as maybe not being a good choice to attend school and play football? That opposing coaches will undoubtably use a bad loss to a slightly above average SEC team as “further evidence” that Mario maybe a great recruiter but not necessarily a good game day coach?
1.) Miami is perceived by some recruits as maybe not being a good choice to attend school and play football?

Even Saban had his share of away game misses and many of his were in-conference losses, and even in-state on occasion; yet he's still stacking 'chips. Something tells me that an out-of-conference, out-of-state, non-rival away game loss is not going to move the needle much for a recruit. By that logic, every game for every team is a "must-win" yet there have been plenty of moments when a regular season loss still resulted in a championship game berth--Bama '15, Clemson '16, Bama/Clemson '17, UGA '21. What happened the years after a loss? Top of the pile except for Clem '16.

I will gladly defer to a recruiting aficionado but a downturn in recruiting because of a TAMU loss--An FSU loss would surely affect us more in that regard. My overarching point is that a season is not ended on the results of one game--regular season or recruiting season.

2.) That opposing coaches will undoubtably use a bad loss to a slightly above average SEC team as “further evidence” that Mario maybe a great recruiter but not necessarily a good game day coach?

The recruiting argument that I just talked about not withstanding, should any of us care what opposing coaches think or say to recruits? Norvell and Napier are going to go in Livingroom's and talk their **** just as I expect Cristobal to do. I would have no doubt Jacksonville State and a lack of QB recruiting or Napiers lack of HC experience at the P5 level has not been mentioned by Cristobal+Staff. What has been said about Cristobal is that he is a tenacious recruiter who goes into Livingroom's prepared for a knife fight. I have never heard of anyone questioning CMC abilities as a game day coach. His wins during his time in the PAC-12 should have silenced anyone with those notions.

Bonus Question:
In addition to the question above, I have another possible interesting one to pose. Put your homer glasses away for a few moments. What would be a bigger win for CMC as far as his career and legacy as a coach; taking his Oregon team to Ohio State and defeating them in the Shoe or taking his Miami team to College Station and defeating Texas A&M?

Advertisement

I already know what your business plan is, if for some reason we do lose to ATM. You're teeing it up with this thread and that last porst.

Bethune Cookman was a must win, Southern Miss is a must win, on and on. Every game is a must win, you big dummy.

98E38CEF-EE42-4E6C-9128-CCB7C4632922.gif

Alright, there is no comparison in these games.

Utah is a less talented but very well coached team playing in an environment completely foreign to them. They had a player throwing up in the 1st quarter.

FSU beat a bad LSU team in a neutral site game with a new staff.

No matter what you think of A&M, they’ve recruited well and the coaching staff has been in place for a few seasons. They have one of the loudest venues in the country. It’s not gonna be easy

Advertisement
Alright, there is no comparison in these games.

Utah is a less talented but very well coached team playing in an environment completely foreign to them. They had a player throwing up in the 1st quarter.

FSU beat a bad LSU team in a neutral site game with a new staff.

No matter what you think of A&M, they’ve recruited well and the coaching staff has been in place for a few seasons. They have one of the loudest venues in the country. It’s not gonna be easy
This is true but if you compare it to 2018 LSU 2019 Florida and 2021 Alabama this is by far the most winnable game against the SEC in the last five years. This will be a fourth-quarter game that is very winnable!

I already know what your business plan is, if for some reason we do lose to ATM. You're teeing it up with this thread and that last porst.

Bethune Cookman was a must win, Southern Miss is a must win, on and on. Every game is a must win, you big dummy.

View attachment 207170
Lol. Dude….heal. Heal the scars. I’ve been through this storm waaaay too many times now with certain factions being in support of a coach to the chagrin of the opposing faction who supports the “brand”. I’ve, personally, found myself-more often than not- on the side of supporting the U brand instead of an individual coach? To me, our HC- whomever he may be- is a part of our brand, and thus, receives my full support UNTIL it has become apparent that he is NOT the answer at HC and proceeds, through sheer incompetence, stubbornness, etc., to tarnish our brand. Obviously, it is premature to make this determination in a HC’s first year- yet alone game 3 into his tenure, so I’ll take the hyperbole with a grain of salt? Lol…

But because I HAVE seen this movie script play out for over 17 years or so now, I will cleave to what my experience has taught me when evaluating a HC’s acumen and ability. Good/great HC’s will flash brilliance early. If I am still seeing the same results (lethargic play, excessive penalties, team being blown out by any team with a pulse, etc.) by seasons end, then by year 3 we are most likely passing around yet another collection plate to fly banners. Look, I support Mario, fully, until he gives me reason not to. I PRAY he is the one because we have all suffered for far too long as a fan base. But no HC is bigger than this U- and yes- Mario is not situated similarly to his predecessors in that he now has the FULL support of the administration and plenty of MONEY? So naturally, the level of expectation has risen accordingly. “Big boy” football. We all expect “Big boy” results- and that means either beating A&M or, at least, losing a closely contested battle. Period.

Not a must win, we are 2-3 years away that I can see from competing with the big boys at a roster standpoint. I know the portal helps...but we aren't on that level.

Advertisement
…..and that means either beating A&M or, at least, losing a closely contested battle. Period.

Ok then.

We’ve gone from a “must win” to a “must keep close”. Maybe you should change the name of the thread to a “must keep close” game.

Glad you acknowledged it is going to take a few years to get the roster to a point where we can consistently compete with teams that are stacked three deep in the four and five star.

Win or lose, but assuming a win, we are still nowhere near where we need to be in terms of talent.

Our LBs...

For the first time in many years, I feel good about our chances. It's not over before it begins, for a change.

Doo. Doo.

Wrong question/wrong premise.

Maybe Texas A&M is looking at UM as a must-win!

Fischer is in his fifth year - "done got" everything he asked for. Last year 8-4. Overpaid, overrated, and way overhyped.

Mario is in his FIRST year at UM - 'gettin' his goodies - but not "done got."

Pressure is on THEM!

Advertisement
Ok then.

We’ve gone from a “must win” to a “must keep close”. Maybe you should change the name of the thread to a “must keep close” game.

Glad you acknowledged it is going to take a few years to get the roster to a point where we can consistently compete with teams that are stacked three deep in the four and five star.

Win or lose, but assuming a win, we are still nowhere near where we need to be in terms of talent.
Wtf goes into any competition just “hoping to keep it close”??? ….with a slightly above average team??? Why are we all of a sudden making A&M out to be Alabama? Lol. They had a stupidly good class LAST YEAR and look to follow that up with another great class, but let’s not pretend that they are “stacked 3 deep with 5* talent”? This team is very much beatable and my overarching point is that if our staff is what we think they are…coupled with what we have at qb and overall talent level- WE SHOULD WIN THIS GAME. Caveat being, “at least be ultra competitive in a close loss”.

Doo. Doo.

Wrong question/wrong premise.

Maybe Texas A&M is looking at UM as a must-win!

Fischer is in his fifth year - "done got" everything he asked for. Last year 8-4. Overpaid, overrated, and way overhyped.

Mario is in his FIRST year at UM - 'gettin' his goodies - but not "done got."

Pressure is on THEM!
…which is another reason we should have the advantage? You’re absolutely right- the pressure is on Jimbo and company. We are, essentially, playing with house money? We should come out loose, fierce and hungry. They should come out a little tight. Hit these b1tches in the mouth early and they will fold the fck up- promise!

Wtf goes into any competition just “hoping to keep it close”??? ….with a slightly above average team??? Why are we all of a sudden making A&M out to be Alabama? Lol. They had a stupidly good class LAST YEAR and look to follow that up with another great class, but let’s not pretend that they are “stacked 3 deep with 5* talent”? This team is very much beatable and my overarching point is that if our staff is what we think they are…coupled with what we have at qb and overall talent level- WE SHOULD WIN THIS GAME. Caveat being, “at least be ultra competitive in a close loss”.

YOUR words:

”…..and that means either beating A&M or, at least, losing a closely contested battle. Period.”

Again, YOUR words.

B357F00D-4D5B-4C90-8934-FDE4D64195E9.gif

YOUR words:

”…..and that means either beating A&M or, at least, losing a closely contested battle. Period.”

Okay??? And your point is what? A&M is still a must win, dude. 🙄 And if they don’t win, it better be a close, hard fought battle? Lol. All that other **** you’re posting is just… “other ****”….🤨

Advertisement
Back