Anybody catch the Mike James Documentary on CNN? Pot vs Pills

Toradol is an NSAID. Like ibuprofen, in the sense that’s in the same class of drugs although it’s recommended to be used for a shorter term for other side effects unrelated to addiction.

It’s not addictive in any way, shape, or form..

I should've been more specific. I didn't mean it was an opioid but it is a widely used gameday painkiller. The rampant Toradol use is masking the exacerbation of current injuries and negating the realization of new injuries. So you're often creating longterm medical issues with these guys that lead them from taking gameday pills and injections like Toradol to abusing opioid based daily use painkillers that obviously are addictive.

I believe there have been several lawsuits over this already.

Advertisement
States like mine, Alabama are beyond dumb when it comes to issues of decriminalizing marijuana. There is a reason our fore fathers wanted separation of church and state. Religious states are really pathetic!!

I have no idea why we are so hesitant to legalize Marijuana and the cbd oils. We allow adults to drink and smoke cigaretts legally yet weed has such a stigma because someone in the 1950s said it was a gateway drug. I did far dumber **** and took harder drugs because of alcohol.
Our AG, Sessions is a complete moron and fool for starters.

States like mine, Alabama are beyond dumb when it comes to issues of decriminalizing marijuana. There is a reason our fore fathers wanted separation of church and state. Religious states are really pathetic!!
Can't help myself. They'll give their lives for the 2nd Amendment, but totally ignore the First. The founders knew and experienced what religious whackos would do if they started imposing their crazy beliefs on everybody else, in government or schools. That's why, IMO, the 2nd was guns so people could protect themselves from those religious quacks, not government.

Advertisement
I have no idea why the league even tests for non performance enhancing drugs. I get steroids, it's cheating and giving an unfair competitive advantage but weed? If anything smoking weed only hurts your athletic performance. (I'm obviously talking about recreational usage)

I should've been more specific. I didn't mean it was an opioid but it is a widely used gameday painkiller. The rampant Toradol use is masking the exacerbation of current injuries and negating the realization of new injuries. So you're often creating longterm medical issues with these guys that lead them from taking gameday pills and injections like Toradol to abusing opioid based daily use painkillers that obviously are addictive.

I believe there have been several lawsuits over this already.

That would be true of any non-addictive pain reliever.

Then the only alternative is to not use a pain reliever at all? Or use something less effective like ibuprofen? Or play with pain? Or not play the player at all?

I’m just throwing out hypotheticals.

You bring up some valid points.

Now you’ve read my counter.

Guess what the only solution is?

Not play the player AT ALL when they have injuries, therefore you don’t excercebate the injury, therefore there is no further pain, and no need for further pain medication.

But if you play the player, you have to do something, so don’t play them.

Guess what happens then?

Accusations of the pussification of America and football.

You can’t have it both ways.

As far as opioids vs cannabinoids.

It’s just a false argument from a strictly scientific standpoint.

Opiates are scientifically proven extremely effective, but also potentially highly addictive, in treating pain. Whereas cannabinoids have no well controlled clinical trials that show efficacy vs pain. The science isn’t there. I understand there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence, but that doesn’t count in science.

I’m not making a moral judgement about the legality of pot or whether people should use it, I’m a libertarian when it comes to that. If you get a placebo effect and think it stops your pain or it has some mild analgesic effect, more power to you.

But I worship at the church of science, and when I read a randomized peer reviewed double bind placebo controlled study that shows a statistically significant difference between the cannabinoid group vs the control group ... then that’s when I’ll know that it’s effective.

Otherwise, it’s just faith. Like believing in Krishna, or Zeus, or Xenu or whatever.

Bottom line: there are no easy answers but pot is not the answer either. It’s just not that effective from the data that’s out there in treating pain. And opiates are super addictive.

Advertisement
I grew up in the 70's and smoked a few doobies. I don't recall - possible side affect - it relieving any pain. But it **** sure gave me a pain - in the belly - from going through the drive thru @ BK and ordering 4 whoppers, 4 large fries and a couple of large cokes and eating it all myself!

I grew up in the 70's and smoked a few doobies. I don't recall - possible side affect - it relieving any pain. But it **** sure gave me a pain - in the belly - from going through the drive thru @ BK and ordering 4 whoppers, 4 large fries and a couple of large cokes and eating it all myself!

Euphoria and relaxation may temporarily help with the perception of pain, but they don’t block pain receptors. Just like when you have a toothache, if you are momentarily distracted, you may not feel the pain as intensely for a few minutes. There is also something called the placebo effect.

But science is science. It requires reproducibility and is unforgiving. As it should be.

There’s just a lot of wishful thinking and pseudoscience when it comes to this as there has been with a lot of other stuff.

People aren’t just very well educated when it comes to scientific principles. It’s not very well taught in our schools.

Euphoria and relaxation may temporarily help with the perception of pain, but they don’t block pain receptors. Just like when you have a toothache, if you are momentarily distracted, you may not feel the pain as intensely for a few minutes. There is also something called the placebo effect.

But science is science. It requires reproducibility and is unforgiving. As it should be.

There’s just a lot of wishful thinking and pseudoscience when it comes to this as there has been with a lot of other stuff.

People aren’t just very well educated when it comes to scientific principles. It’s not very well taught in our schools.
Adrenaline "rush" can also have an affect on pain perception. I've experienced it many times. The rush can seemingly reduce, or altogether, eliminate the pain temporarily. When the adrenaline subsides, the pain returns and sometimes more extremely, due to whatever activity was performed.

That would be true of any non-addictive pain reliever.

Then the only alternative is to not use a pain reliever at all? Or use something less effective like ibuprofen? Or play with pain? Or not play the player at all?

I’m just throwing out hypotheticals.

You bring up some valid points.

Now you’ve read my counter.

Guess what the only solution is?

Not play the player AT ALL when they have injuries, therefore you don’t excercebate the injury, therefore there is no further pain, and no need for further pain medication.

But if you play the player, you have to do something, so don’t play them.

Guess what happens then?

Accusations of the pussification of America and football.

You can’t have it both ways.

As far as opioids vs cannabinoids.

It’s just a false argument from a strictly scientific standpoint.

Opiates are scientifically proven extremely effective, but also potentially highly addictive, in treating pain. Whereas cannabinoids have no well controlled clinical trials that show efficacy vs pain. The science isn’t there. I understand there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence, but that doesn’t count in science.

I’m not making a moral judgement about the legality of pot or whether people should use it, I’m a libertarian when it comes to that. If you get a placebo effect and think it stops your pain or it has some mild analgesic effect, more power to you.

But I worship at the church of science, and when I read a randomized peer reviewed double bind placebo controlled study that shows a statistically significant difference between the cannabinoid group vs the control group ... then that’s when I’ll know that it’s effective.

Otherwise, it’s just faith. Like believing in Krishna, or Zeus, or Xenu or whatever.

Bottom line: there are no easy answers but pot is not the answer either. It’s just not that effective from the data that’s out there in treating pain. And opiates are super addictive.

I'll respond in reverse order:

I think we're pretty much on the same page on the weed. That was my rationale for never jumping in bed with the fanatics regarding the legalization as I too feel like they've vastly overstated the "medicinal" value as and ends justify the means route to support their recreational use. That said, at the end of the day I'm libertarian on it too and if a guy thinks he's getting some benefit from it then more power to him.

As for pain reliever use during actual games, I'm as hypocritical as anyone. I absolutely recall happily saying "I bet he got the good shot!" after a player looks like he's headed to the ICU but magically reappears after halftime looking 100%.

I think you probably start by banning any pain injections at all during games. You take one and you're done for the day. I don't know the timeframes for the oral versions of some of these pain meds to take effect but you'd probably need to restrict some of those as well at least with respect to certain injuries like backs or knees.

There's a ton of gray area here that could be exploited and we obviously have trouble even adhering to the concussion protocols that are in place but in the litigious world we now live in too I don't think guys (especially on the college level) should be playing in any sort of numbed up state. And this is only even attempting to address the gameday issue with it.

Advertisement
I hadn't smoked in years, but got the oil thru a buddy and bought the usb charged stem pipe from a local head shop. No weed smell and the wife has no idea ol boy ballin again. Been enjoying nba playoffs more, but I did have to buy more healthy snacks like smoothies, nuts and fruit because ain't no getting around the munchies.

Adrenaline "rush" can also have an affect on pain perception. I've experienced it many times. The rush can seemingly reduce, or altogether, eliminate the pain temporarily. When the adrenaline subsides, the pain returns and sometimes more extremely, due to whatever activity was performed.

Absolutely.

I hadn't smoked in years, but got the oil thru a buddy and bought the usb charged stem pipe from a local head shop. No weed smell and the wife has no idea ol boy ballin again. Been enjoying nba playoffs more, but I did have to buy more healthy snacks like smoothies, nuts and fruit because ain't no getting around the munchies.

Does it provide a similar sense of euphoria/relaxation? In other words, is the high the same as you remember it?

Advertisement
NFL denied him...And people were arguing in the Roger Goodell thread about how much $$$ he makes the owners is a sign he was a good commissioner, no matter how badly he treats the players...Goodell's Senator Daddy was with the spit on vets crowd in 1970, then worked to give draft dodgers amnesty. $#!+ doesn't fall far from the tree!

Mike James has never been anything but a stand up guy. I've never been in favor of anyone smoking pot, but if medical use is legal in his state and his need is clear then NFL is wrong. I understand that suddenly every player might start claiming addiction in order to just get high but that is an issue they should handle with detail investigation. We need to stop punishing everyone for the behavior of others.

I have had chronic pain for years. Fortunately I am completely aware of my addictive personality so I avoided any of the "good" pain drugs and learn to suffer. I did try the stem cell thing. The needles hurt bad enough to make me take script drugs. I promptly took too many and got sick as dog, so back to prayers and Lourdes water for me. Despite being teenager in the 60's, I've never smoke pot but if the day comes and I can't take the pain I would give it a try instead of today's pain pills.
Brother, Your story hit me in the heart. I teach a Sunday School class in my church and I seem to be the only one who doesn't have to deal with continual pain. Two are Vietnam vets who got messed up there and one is an ex college QB who is so beat up he can hardly get out of bed in the morning. Another has Neuropathy which is brutal. Count me in your prayer chain. I hope your docs can come up with something that works.

Advertisement
Back