Antonio Kinard

Former Michigan and Miami commit Antonio Kinard at JC

By Michael Rothstein, ESPN Recruiting
January, 11, 2012, 1:04 PM ET

Antonio Kinard could have been halfway through college by now, might have been entering his junior season at Michigan and could have even seen the field as a linebacker.

None of that happened, though. Instead, Kinard found himself on a twisting journey involving two colleges, a prep school and a junior college, a job working at a wine store and now, a trip to Arizona and a second chance at Arizona Western, where Kinard will play next season.

A three-star linebacker prospect out of Liberty High School in Youngstown, Ohio, Kinard committed to play for the Wolverines as part of the Class of 2010. He was going to join one of his closer friends and the father of his niece, running back Fitzgerald Toussaint, along with another former teammate, Isaiah Bell. Instead, he failed to qualify at Michigan and spent the 2010 season as a prep school grayshirt at Hargrave Military Academy.

Kinard caught the eye of the new Miami coaching staff visiting Hargrave, and received an offer from the Canes during his 2010 prep school season. He committed to the Hurricanes and signed a letter of intent to attend the U. Again, the NCAA Clearinghouse would not clear him in late August, and Kinard did not enroll as planned at Miami.

Kinard was left with limited options due to the timing of the NCAA Clearinghouse decision, but he received the support of his family while he started working in a wine store. He talked with ESPN about his continuing relationship with Wolverine RB Fitzgerald Toussaint. If there is an event that changed Toussaint's life, it came five years ago. Toussaint, then age 16, became a father.

Initially, Toussaint said he and the mother of his child, Jacquetta Kinard, tried to hide the pregnancy from their parents. Eventually, at a Shoney's in Virginia, Jacquetta told her brother, former Michigan recruit and one of Toussaint's closest friends, Antonio Kinard.

"She looked at me and said, 'TK, I'm pregnant,' " Antonio Kinard said. "I said, 'Oh my gosh.' Fitz, I called him and was like, 'Did you know?' He said, 'Yeah.' I'm like, 'Can you believe you're a dad now?'

"He was like, 'Yeah, man, I've got to start stepping up. I've got to put away childish things and start being a man.' "

They soon told the rest of their families, who offered support, and Martia Lenora Kinard came into this world on Dec. 10, 2006. Martia lives with her mother's family in Winnsboro, S.C., and Toussaint hasn't seen her since Memorial Day weekend. Kinard said Martia, as of now, is supposed to spend the summer with Toussaint and the rest of his family.

"Fitz has decided to be like, 'I'm happy to just hear my daughter's voice. That makes my day,' " Antonio Kinard said. "They talk on the phone for hours. He says, 'As long as I can get that, I'm fine. It makes me smile. Makes my day.'”

Now, Kinard is about to get back in the game.

He just announced his visit to Arizona by way of Twitter: “Arizona tomorrow.! Worked all day. Made this money! hahaha Leeetttttsss gooooooo!!!”

Kinard will enroll at Arizona Western for the spring semester and will be a freshman LB on the JUCO football team next season.
423.jpg

Advertisement
JUCO LB Antonio Kinard redshirted at Arizona Western in 2012

Kinard may still be considering the Hurricanes - if they'll have him...

Twitter Traffic:
Antonio Kinnard @AntonioKinard
Football is the Motto..*803 is the area code! T.K. is the name. ha yea

Antonio Kinard @AntonioKinard 20m ago
"Mexico was a blast.I got hella free **** and i got hustle to many times.! The Beach was great hopefully next spring break is even better!"

Antonio Kinard @AntonioKinard 18 Mar
"Dream Big"

Antonio Kinard @AntonioKinard 27 Nov
@JimmyOgrady33 "That's was up bruh. I got red-shirted this year. I ain't gone lie I was to weak to play this season. I 21 pounds on sense."
View conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
@JimmyOgrady33 "how many more years you got left?"
@JimmyOgrady33 "Thinking about heading back to the U. If they have another season like they did this year tho I might reconsider."
@JimmyOgrady33 "I been good man. Tryna make it through this Jucco **** so I can get back D1. How yall season go?"

JUCO LB Antonio Kinnard, shown below as a Hargrave (VA) Military Academy grayshirt, was committed to Michigan coming out of high school in Youngstown, Ohio with the Class of 2010 and to Miami coming out of prep school a year later, but could not qualify at either school in 2010 or 2011. After working in a wine store back in Ohio in the Fall of 2011, Kinnard enrolled at Arizona Western College in January, 2012.
422.jpg

"Antonio Kinard (40: 4.6) has a lot of upside to him. He's already 225 pounds and goes sideline to sideline," Hargrave Head Coach Troy Davis said of the onetime Michigan signee. "He's just a workhorse. He'll go and get after it, he's very competitive." - Rivals

Ok, now that makes more sense, NOW we're talking. 6'3, 225 with 4.6 speed, THATs my kind of LB.

Only question is, what kind of shape is this kid in now. If he has been out of football for a while and putzing around, I doubt he's going to be ready to step in and have much of an impact next season. But if he has 3 to play 3, it could work out.

JUCO LB Antonio Kinard redshirted at Arizona Western in 2012

Kinard may still be considering the Hurricanes - if they'll have him...

Twitter Traffic:
Antonio Kinnard @AntonioKinard
Football is the Motto..*803 is the area code! T.K. is the name. ha yea

Antonio Kinard @AntonioKinard 20m ago
"Mexico was a blast.I got hella free **** and i got hustle to many times.! The Beach was great hopefully next spring break is even better!"

Antonio Kinard @AntonioKinard 18 Mar
"Dream Big"

@JimmyOgrady33 "That's was up bruh. I got red-shirted this year. I ain't gone lie I was to weak to play this season. I 21 pounds on sense."
@JimmyOgrady33 "how many more years you got left?"
@JimmyOgrady33 "Thinking about heading back to the U. If they have another season like they did this year tho I might reconsider."
@JimmyOgrady33 "I been good man. Tryna make it through this Jucco **** so I can get back D1. How yall season go?"

JUCO LB Antonio Kinnard, shown below as a Hargrave (VA) Military Academy grayshirt, was committed to Michigan coming out of high school in Youngstown, Ohio with the Class of 2010 and to Miami coming out of prep school a year later, but could not qualify at either school in 2010 or 2011. After working in a wine store back in Ohio in the Fall of 2011, Kinnard enrolled at Arizona Western College in January, 2012.
422.jpg

"Antonio Kinard (40: 4.6) has a lot of upside to him. He's already 225 pounds and goes sideline to sideline," Hargrave Head Coach Troy Davis said of the onetime Michigan signee. "He's just a workhorse. He'll go and get after it, he's very competitive." - Rivals

Ok, now that makes more sense, NOW we're talking. 6'3, 225 with 4.6 speed, THATs my kind of LB.

Only question is, what kind of shape is this kid in now. If he has been out of football for a while and putzing around, I doubt he's going to be ready to step in and have much of an impact next season. But if he has 3 to play 3, it could work out.

He played JUCO ball this year. He redshirted last year.

Looks like a tackling machine this season . . . 106 tackles (39 solo) in 6 games - led team and 3rd in Arizona Community College Athletic Conference. Can't figure out what happened, but looks like Arizona Western (2-4) forfeited its first 4 or 5 games.

Advertisement
He was originally a 2010 Michigan commit who went prep for a year, didn't qualify for Miami's 2011 recruiting class, sat out a year and then ended up in JUCO. I imagine he is at least 22 years old, so he should be ready physically. It will be interesting to see if Golden and staff are going after him.

[video]http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1276218/highlights/96699375[/video]

He also served two tours in Iraq during Desert Storm.

I have no idea what's going on here.

I'm just gunna pretend this thread never happened, and if I ever hear this kids name again, maybe I'll find out what the **** is going on at that time.

Advertisement
Looks like a tackling machine this season . . . 106 tackles (39 solo) in 6 games - led team and 3rd in Arizona Community College Athletic Conference. Can't figure out what happened, but looks like Arizona Western (2-4) forfeited its first 4 or 5 games.

106 tackles and only 39 solo???? As an LB????

431.jpg

kid looks bigger than what it says, hopefully we can get him signed and in through admissions this time!

Advertisement
Advertisement
So if I'm reading his tweets correctly he said that:

Is he saying we had a bad season? Because if he's thinking about the U and reconsidering if we play like we did that sounds like he thinks we did bad? Don't understand what he's saying here or trying to say I guess....

can anyone clarify?

Advertisement
Back