Anthony Walker enters the Transfer Portal

I'm surprised that Jakai Robinson wasn't the first one to get up and leave. Despite being the highest recruit of his class, and getting some PT as a freshman, he was health scratched the entire season while Bensley and Wooga had major roles. If he didn't touch the floor at all this year, why would he stay? L clearly has him 5th or so in the guard rotation behind Wong/Pack/Joseph/Beverly and we return at least 3 of those guys and probably pick up a nasty portal guard as well.
Good point. "We" don't know, and probably never will, what NIL discussion$ abt next year's compensation went on behind the scenes for any of these guys, including Jakai. No doubt any who stayed were likely given a piece of the pie that pleased them, while those who left hope to get $some elsewhere.

The NIL folks and the staff (and the players) cannot get together and discuss this much, in advance, as I still understand the rules. I'm assuming if Jakai stays he was incentivized to do so.

Advertisement
Pretty sad that a team goes to the Final Four, returns to Coral Gables on Monday then 2 kids enter the portal on Tuesday before the baggage is unloaded and another kid enter the portal on Wednesday before everyone has unpacked.
This is about two players away from being a complete rebuild situation.
You have 4 open scholarships and if Wong leaves, that makes a 5th, which is worse because you cannot fill his scholarship until after the May draft deadline.

Pretty sad that a team goes to the Final Four, returns to Coral Gables on Monday then 2 kids enter the portal on Tuesday before the baggage is unloaded and another kid enter the portal on Wednesday before everyone has unpacked.
You have 4 open scholarships and if Wong leaves, that makes a 5th, which is worse because you cannot fill his scholarship until after the May draft deadline.
Not sad at all. All 3 players met with Coach L this week and he must have advised to move on if they wanted to play a lot. Walker is also graduating in May

Advertisement
That's college basketball today. It is what it is.

Not sad at all. All 3 players met with Coach L this week and he must have advised to move on if they wanted to play a lot. Walker is also graduating in May
As I know you know, that’s the way it’s worked for years in baseball, and with the new ease for transfers the way it will almost certainly work going forward in basketball.

Sounds good. Your core is currently Pack, Poplar and Omier.
I am not going to mention anyone else until the runway to the transfer portal closes.

Advertisement
Are you really questioning roster construction of a team that just went to the Final Four?

Fair enough, remember that when you are .500 next year and hoping for an NIT berth.
This has to be a parody account. We're really bemoaning losses of two freshman who barely played and another guy that everyone couldn't wait to get rid of? Our season literally ended 4 days ago and you're already making those conclusions?

Advertisement
I mean UConn had 4 transfers on their roster and look how this season turned out for them. Not to mention we’ve had fantastic transfers join our roster the past few years. Even if we won the national championship this year, guys would transfer. At the end of the day, athletes want playing time and unfortunately, we can’t offer a ton of playing time to everyone. This could be viewed positively as an opportunity to add more awesome talent to our roster.

Pay that guy no mind. He'll be complaining in the transfer portal thread for the next 6 months whenever a player who wasn't even considering Miami chooses another school.
I don't understand what that guy's thought process is. Like this team is literally days off a Final Four loss to the National Champs and he wants to complain about losing 3 players. Like you said 2 freshmen and one guy most people didn't care for.

Advertisement
Changing Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I mean UConn had 4 transfers on their roster and look how this season turned out for them. Not to mention we’ve had fantastic transfers join our roster the past few years. Even if we won the national championship this year, guys would transfer. At the end of the day, athletes want playing time and unfortunately, we can’t offer a ton of playing time to everyone. This could be viewed positively as an opportunity to add more awesome talent to our roster.

Just because UCONN did it doesn't mean it can be done at Miami.
It's possible because the Final Four proved to me that elite talent is not going to college.
If they go to a college, it's a school where they can take enough shots and make enough plays to improve their draft status.

Advertisement
Back