Anthony McFarland's Recruitment

Advertisement
McFarland will have a successful career at Maryland while getting throttled by Wisconsin Penn State Michigan Michigan St and Ohio State, leading to a miserable 3-4 years and low round draft grade.

If we get cain then who cares he would have never played here anyways

Who knows if Lingard commits. I do think you are giving Lingard a little too much credit for the current class. He may have helped some but the coaches have done a ton of leg work to line up all of these kids. The momentum is strong and Lingard is just one big piece but there are other pieces that all add up to even more momentum...

What???? YES,.. The coaches been working the a$$ off,... But,.. You can't have a shootout if nobody pulls the trigger!! Lo pulled the trigger,.. And by athleticism,.. Lets say he's a cannon!! He set the bar,.. The tone,.. The atmosphere,.. Lets not discredit the opinion of this class, and how it began to season with him,..and some of the others who've come after.

Sorry, I'll got with landing the '16 and '17 classes, winning the BOWL game for the first time in 10+ years, and the coaches having time to build solid relationships over one 5* kid causing all the others to commit. The momentum was building before February and he just added a big splash. We win 10-11 in '17 and I expect us to pull some other elite kids on NSD along with landing more big names in '19. Is it all due to on kid, F no! Coaches and staff are doing major work on and off the field.

Advertisement
I don't think Lingard would've cared. Walton's not going to be in the backfield next year which is when Lingard arrives. Lingard would've crapped on McFarland. Cam Davis may have been the one to take a look at, but again, he's pretty **** good himself and probably would've just been battling with Homer for carries. Lingard will likely be top dog next year. So no, I don't think McFarland not coming here got us Lingard. Although I'm sure Tweed could put me in my place given his obvious relation.

You think he beats out Homer that easily ?

I don't think Lingard would've cared. Walton's not going to be in the backfield next year which is when Lingard arrives. Lingard would've crapped on McFarland. Cam Davis may have been the one to take a look at, but again, he's pretty **** good himself and probably would've just been battling with Homer for carries. Lingard will likely be top dog next year. So no, I don't think McFarland not coming here got us Lingard. Although I'm sure Tweed could put me in my place given his obvious relation.

You think he beats out Homer that easily ?

I do

Advertisement
Who knows if Lingard commits. I do think you are giving Lingard a little too much credit for the current class. He may have helped some but the coaches have done a ton of leg work to line up all of these kids. The momentum is strong and Lingard is just one big piece but there are other pieces that all add up to even more momentum...

What???? YES,.. The coaches been working the a$$ off,... But,.. You can't have a shootout if nobody pulls the trigger!! Lo pulled the trigger,.. And by athleticism,.. Lets say he's a cannon!! He set the bar,.. The tone,.. The atmosphere,.. Lets not discredit the opinion of this class, and how it began to season with him,..and some of the others who've come after.

Sorry, I'll got with landing the '16 and '17 classes, winning the BOWL game for the first time in 10+ years, and the coaches having time to build solid relationships over one 5* kid causing all the others to commit. The momentum was building before February and he just added a big splash. We win 10-11 in '17 and I expect us to pull some other elite kids on NSD along with landing more big names in '19. Is it all due to on kid, F no! Coaches and staff are doing major work on and off the field.

Absolutely they are!! No question about it!! But...IMO..someone worthy of making a diff has to make a move! I think when someone like "LO" commits....a lot of folks see proof of the product the staff is selling. And yes...'16's season was a change for the good. But was it enough by itself to prove where were going?,... Or does the likes of a Lo significantly help prove the product? I love this staff! And take nothing from them. These savages are in each others ears all day, every day. If a few guys are on the fence,.. Lo drops a commitment,.. Now those guys on the fence seriously thinking now! Dominoes!!

Sorry i've never heard of a RB from Maryland. Next question.

Actually, we tried to recruit a few over the years. Back in '89 we wanted Richie Anderson from Silver Spring. I remember talking to Kehoe about him after the '88 Michigan game in Ann Arbor. Art wanted him real bad. I suspect that was the attitude of the staff, too. He had a decent career at PSU and some time in the NFL.

Another lesser known RB we recruited the next year, was Rico Marshall from Forestville, MD. He took a visit to Miami with his teammate, Leslie Shepherd, who was a very polished receiver. I think Rico might have had an offer from Miami, but he signed with South Carolina. A few weeks after signing day, he was spotted in the streets by a cop, swallowed a bunch of cocaine, and overdosed.

It was all over the news. Showed his bedroom and there was a big UM blanket on his bed. Leslie signed with UM but never made it in academically, played for Temple and then the Redskins.

Irony was, I called Allsports right after Rico OD'ed to place an order and I spoke to a young woman working at the store. She told me that she also was part of that group that went around with the recruits. She said she had just accompanied these guys from Maryland, Rico and Leslie, a few weeks before. I had to tell her that Rico was gone.

Anyway, we have had some RBs from Maryland, and historically some good ones, like Chuck Foreman, who was an all-time great for the program. He probably had a lot better career with the Vikings than he had at UM in the early '70's.

So, once every decade, there might be a UM quality RB whom we might try to recruit. Every year, there will be at least several in Florida alone.

Advertisement
What happened with Maryland hiring one of his high school coaches? Did they hire one?

Asking for a bet with a Maryland friend.

What happened with Maryland hiring one of his high school coaches? Did they hire one?

Dunno...hearing McFartland is 4th string coming out of Spring though

Advertisement
WTF cares about this shady POS. Let him enjoy getting drafted in day 3 like all the other turtles 4 and 5 star recruits since stars have existed. He dug his own grave.

Actually, we tried to recruit a few over the years. Back in '89 we wanted Richie Anderson from Silver Spring. I remember talking to Kehoe about him after the '88 Michigan game in Ann Arbor. Art wanted him real bad. I suspect that was the attitude of the staff, too. He had a decent career at PSU and some time in the NFL.

Another lesser known RB we recruited the next year, was Rico Marshall from Forestville, MD. He took a visit to Miami with his teammate, Leslie Shepherd, who was a very polished receiver. I think Rico might have had an offer from Miami, but he signed with South Carolina. A few weeks after signing day, he was spotted in the streets by a cop, swallowed a bunch of cocaine, and overdosed.

It was all over the news. Showed his bedroom and there was a big UM blanket on his bed. Leslie signed with UM but never made it in academically, played for Temple and then the Redskins.

Irony was, I called Allsports right after Rico OD'ed to place an order and I spoke to a young woman working at the store. She told me that she also was part of that group that went around with the recruits. She said she had just accompanied these guys from Maryland, Rico and Leslie, a few weeks before. I had to tell her that Rico was gone.

Anyway, we have had some RBs from Maryland, and historically some good ones, like Chuck Foreman, who was an all-time great for the program. He probably had a lot better career with the Vikings than he had at UM in the early '70's.

So, once every decade, there might be a UM quality RB whom we might try to recruit. Every year, there will be at least several in Florida alone.

The DMV keeps it share of victims. ***** real over that way. Plenty of real world talent gets laid to waste In the dmv annually. I think McFarland would've been great for us. But I understand his decision. No need for us to demonize the kid. He made his best possible decision for him & stayed home to put on. I wish him luck. Sucks he won't do it for us but oh well.

My understanding at the time was that they did hire his high school coach or a coach from DeMatha's staff but I can't find anything on it.

The DMV keeps it share of victims. ****s real over that way. Plenty of real world talent gets laid to waste In the dmv annually. I think McFarland would've been great for us. But I understand his decision. No need for us to demonize the kid. He made his best possible decision for him & stayed home to put on. I wish him luck. Sucks he won't do it for us but oh well.

It seems like most of the top DMV talent leaves the area. My kids live there and I lived there for years and drive in from Richmond regularly. Recently Maryland got a 5 star OL, I think from DeMatha, but F$U, O$U, Ped State all seem to grab a lot of the top talent up this way. After that you have VT, WVU, UVA and Maryland all fighting for the rest of it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back