Anthony McFarland's Recruitment

Sorry i've never heard of a RB from Maryland. Next question.

Actually, we tried to recruit a few over the years. Back in '89 we wanted Richie Anderson from Silver Spring. I remember talking to Kehoe about him after the '88 Michigan game in Ann Arbor. Art wanted him real bad. I suspect that was the attitude of the staff, too. He had a decent career at PSU and some time in the NFL.

Another lesser known RB we recruited the next year, was Rico Marshall from Forestville, MD. He took a visit to Miami with his teammate, Leslie Shepherd, who was a very polished receiver. I think Rico might have had an offer from Miami, but he signed with South Carolina. A few weeks after signing day, he was spotted in the streets by a cop, swallowed a bunch of cocaine, and overdosed.

It was all over the news. Showed his bedroom and there was a big UM blanket on his bed. Leslie signed with UM but never made it in academically, played for Temple and then the Redskins.

Irony was, I called Allsports right after Rico OD'ed to place an order and I spoke to a young woman working at the store. She told me that she also was part of that group that went around with the recruits. She said she had just accompanied these guys from Maryland, Rico and Leslie, a few weeks before. I had to tell her that Rico was gone.

Anyway, we have had some RBs from Maryland, and historically some good ones, like Chuck Foreman, who was an all-time great for the program. He probably had a lot better career with the Vikings than he had at UM in the early '70's.

So, once every decade, there might be a UM quality RB whom we might try to recruit. Every year, there will be at least several in Florida alone.

The DMV keeps it share of victims. ***** real over that way. Plenty of real world talent gets laid to waste In the dmv annually. I think McFarland would've been great for us. But I understand his decision. No need for us to demonize the kid. He made his best possible decision for him & stayed home to put on. I wish him luck. Sucks he won't do it for us but oh well.

Exactly. As much as we Miami fans talk about "staying home", we can't really be mad at the kid.

Not like he went to Bama or Free Shoes.

Not to mention, Harley did the same thing but in our favor (he even "shut his down" after actually being committed)

Advertisement
What happened with Maryland hiring one of his high school coaches? Did they hire one?

Asking for a bet with a Maryland friend.

My understanding at the time was that they did hire his high school coach or a coach from DeMatha's staff but I can't find anything on it.
Exactly what happened with me.

I tried to find it too but I haven't found anything.

If anyone can find something let me know.

Actually, we tried to recruit a few over the years. Back in '89 we wanted Richie Anderson from Silver Spring. I remember talking to Kehoe about him after the '88 Michigan game in Ann Arbor. Art wanted him real bad. I suspect that was the attitude of the staff, too. He had a decent career at PSU and some time in the NFL.

Another lesser known RB we recruited the next year, was Rico Marshall from Forestville, MD. He took a visit to Miami with his teammate, Leslie Shepherd, who was a very polished receiver. I think Rico might have had an offer from Miami, but he signed with South Carolina. A few weeks after signing day, he was spotted in the streets by a cop, swallowed a bunch of cocaine, and overdosed.

It was all over the news. Showed his bedroom and there was a big UM blanket on his bed. Leslie signed with UM but never made it in academically, played for Temple and then the Redskins.

Irony was, I called Allsports right after Rico OD'ed to place an order and I spoke to a young woman working at the store. She told me that she also was part of that group that went around with the recruits. She said she had just accompanied these guys from Maryland, Rico and Leslie, a few weeks before. I had to tell her that Rico was gone.

Anyway, we have had some RBs from Maryland, and historically some good ones, like Chuck Foreman, who was an all-time great for the program. He probably had a lot better career with the Vikings than he had at UM in the early '70's.

So, once every decade, there might be a UM quality RB whom we might try to recruit. Every year, there will be at least several in Florida alone.

The DMV keeps it share of victims. ****s real over that way. Plenty of real world talent gets laid to waste In the dmv annually. I think McFarland would've been great for us. But I understand his decision. No need for us to demonize the kid. He made his best possible decision for him & stayed home to put on. I wish him luck. Sucks he won't do it for us but oh well.

Exactly. As much as we Miami fans talk about "staying home", we can't really be mad at the kid.

Not to mention, Harley did the same thing but in our favor (he even "shut his down" after actually being committed)

D.C. area does have its share of talent, but not too much of it has headed our way. I always lamented that until I saw how Richt and Co. are recruiting the he11 out of Florida and Georgia.

I just barely understand the next post, the "brocade" and stuff. I guess that's a D.C. thing with African-American kids. I'm not African-American and I'm not young. So, I guess it's something to do with this area. A fellow I know, originally from Sacramento, who played some college football looked at a picture of D.J. Johnson and said that kid's got the hair that's popular with the northern California kids.

I guess. All I know is that's a kid that recruited Miami, he's got our swag all over him it seems. Maybe not so much with McFarland. I've seen this pattern for years. Miss on a kid one year we make up for it the next with somebody as good or better.

It's not like the Jimmy Johnson days, when you all thought he recruited the greatest but in reality he was reaching for Tekay Dorsey and Ellery Roberts. We miss McFarland we get two studs from Florida, including Lingard and Davis.

The only bad part about missing McFarland is we need a body at RB for the coming year and he could've helped. One of the few things that concerns me about the coming season. We've got three unknowns in Homer, Burns and Gray.

Out of all the RBs I know we wanted up here over the past two decades the one we probably wanted the most was Richie Anderson but he was never coming here. He was good at PSU but not great.

What happened with Maryland hiring one of his high school coaches? Did they hire one?

Asking for a bet with a Maryland friend.

My understanding at the time was that they did hire his high school coach or a coach from DeMatha's staff but I can't find anything on it.
Exactly what happened with me.

I tried to find it too but I haven't found anything.

If anyone can find something let me know.

THere was rumors that they would hire the DeMatha head coach, but he's still at DeMatha. And with the rule of the 2 years probation, he's going to be there a long time, no college will want to hire him!

Advertisement

The DMV keeps it share of victims. ***** real over that way. Plenty of real world talent gets laid to waste In the dmv annually. I think McFarland would've been great for us. But I understand his decision. No need for us to demonize the kid. He made his best possible decision for him & stayed home to put on. I wish him luck. Sucks he won't do it for us but oh well.

Normally I'd agree, but he spent like 16 hours posting pictures of "traveling" to the school he was committing to only to end up 3 miles from his house. Fck that btch.

IMG_0710.GIF

The DMV keeps it share of victims. ****s real over that way. Plenty of real world talent gets laid to waste In the dmv annually. I think McFarland would've been great for us. But I understand his decision. No need for us to demonize the kid. He made his best possible decision for him & stayed home to put on. I wish him luck. Sucks he won't do it for us but oh well.

I can and will be ****ed at the kid for stringing our coaches along until the 11th hour. Our RB depth is extremely thin this year as a direct result of McFarland's actions.

I can and will be ****ed at the kid for stringing our coaches along until the 11th hour. Our RB depth is extremely thin this year as a direct result of McFarland's actions.

I tend to agree with you. Don't know any details, just what's been posted here. If he was a silent, and lied to us, or double-crossed us, that is reprehensible. Maybe we would have focused on another kid who could have come in and provided depth.

The whole process is rotten. We've had this kind of thing happen to us before, and it's often been instigated by other coaches who play dirty.

Jimmy Johnson had this experience with one of his first classes. I think it had to do with Eric Metcalf the speedster out of northern Virginia who spurned us at the last minute for Texas. There were some hints of dirty play by Texas. There were three prospects we wanted really badly from the Chicago area. The only one whose name I remember was Frank Hartley.There were two others. They were all expected to come to Miami; Hubbard Alexander had been recruiting them very effectively. At the last minute, Bob Karmelowicz, who later became our DL coach under Dennis Erickson, stole them from us for Illinois.

These kid will act in their own self-interest, even if it means breaking their word. Especially when there's some money involved. Yeah, McFarland really screwed us, so I'll always dislike him. It doesn't matter to him, though.

The whole recruiting system reeks. We probably play it cleaner than most. Other schools who have probably done a lot worse have never been touched by the NCAA. We got in trouble at the drop of a hat.

Advertisement
I think this early signing date will stop or at least minimize these type of things.

A coach can ask a kid whose committed to sign.If the kids not ready then he's not really 100% committed and the coach can tell the kid that he will be forced to continue to recruit.At least then the kid knows that his spot is not secure and the coach knows he needs to go find someone that might just be a little more sure about what commitment really means

Advertisement
Advertisement
I dont mind the "put on for my city" attitude but for him to leave the staff hanging like that in the 25th hour is unforgivable. I dont wish him luck and I hope he is a bust leads Maryland to 4 consecutive 5 wins seasons including 60 point losses to OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin and PSU.

I dont mind the "put on for my city" attitude but for him to leave the staff hanging like that in the 25th hour is unforgivable. I dont wish him luck and I hope he is a bust leads Maryland to 4 consecutive 5 wins seasons including 60 point losses to OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin and PSU.

It was the way it was done....very shady.

I'm thinking the family got paid especially how it went down. Meeting with the coaches to tell him he was choosing us, them asking for more time....more time for what? You already pitched everything you had unless the Under Armour bag got pushed under the table

Advertisement
Back