Anthony Lucas 2022

Advertisement
The highest-ranked recruit in Dade County this weekend was Scottsdale (Ari.) Chaparral Top247 defensive lineman Anthony Lucas. Miami made the most of getting the potential five-star on campus this weekend by showing him a good time while he was on the East coast.

“It went great this weekend. I really enjoyed that we got to go to the beach and be right by the water. Right after, we went to the water to enjoy the beach a little bit. Hanging out with the players and staff - getting to learn from them. The hospitality was amazing,” Lucas told InsideTheU following his official visit on Sunday.

The 6-foot-4.5, 270-pounder was able to finally meet some of the staff members from his father’s alma mater and he had some great things to say about Manny Diaz and company.

“The fact that they have love for the game and what they do,” Lucas said on Miami’s staff. “They’re all real.”

The nation’s No. 6 defensive lineman also got to meet Jess Simpson, who would be his position coach should he choose to play his college ball in Coral Gables.

“Our conversation was amazing. I got to sit down in the film room with him and have him break down some of the drills NFL guys and college guys and you see the results and he’s really looking to see me off the edge,” Lucas said.

Miami is fresh off putting two guys who play his position into the NFL. He is very aware of the success of Jaelan Phillips and Greg Rousseau.

“I obviously want to go to a school where my position is being looked at highly and get drafted. Miami has a history of that,” Lucas said.

Lucas might also be looking to play baseball at the next level, so Miami gave him a look around the facilities around Mark Light Field.

“They were one of the later offers and I don’t think I told them that I was looking to play baseball too. They somehow found out and I was able to go and they showed me around the baseball facilities, everything they had offer and see the field,” Lucas said.

Lucas’s father was back in Coral Gables after attending the University of Miami as a student.

“For him, I would say it was really nostalgic,” Lucas said.

The blue-chipper’s did head back home feeling better about what Miami has going on.

“I got to see more of the campus. Before, I was a little kid, would come to some of the games, been on campus. I could really see everything. I really got to see what’s so great about the school,” the pass rusher said.

Lucas was hosted by fifth-year senior defensive end Zach McCloud.

“Getting to get advice from Zach McCloud was amazing,” Lucas said. “What it really meant to change the culture for Miami these past couple of years. Since his freshman year he’s been one of their leaders. In the weight room and in the classroom, how much hard work you put in and how it’s really about to pay off for them.”

Despite the fact that Lucas would have used all five of his official visits this summer to see Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Oregon, Miami and then Alabama this coming weekend, the defensive lineman plans to take his time with a decision.

“I want to see how they do this season,” Lucas said

247Sports ranks Lucas as the No. 27 overall player in the class and the No. 1 player in Arizona.

As a junior, he collected 15.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks in just seven games.

The highest-ranked recruit in Dade County this weekend was Scottsdale (Ari.) Chaparral Top247 defensive lineman Anthony Lucas. Miami made the most of getting the potential five-star on campus this weekend by showing him a good time while he was on the East coast.

“It went great this weekend. I really enjoyed that we got to go to the beach and be right by the water. Right after, we went to the water to enjoy the beach a little bit. Hanging out with the players and staff - getting to learn from them. The hospitality was amazing,” Lucas told InsideTheU following his official visit on Sunday.

The 6-foot-4.5, 270-pounder was able to finally meet some of the staff members from his father’s alma mater and he had some great things to say about Manny Diaz and company.

“The fact that they have love for the game and what they do,” Lucas said on Miami’s staff. “They’re all real.”

The nation’s No. 6 defensive lineman also got to meet Jess Simpson, who would be his position coach should he choose to play his college ball in Coral Gables.

“Our conversation was amazing. I got to sit down in the film room with him and have him break down some of the drills NFL guys and college guys and you see the results and he’s really looking to see me off the edge,” Lucas said.

Miami is fresh off putting two guys who play his position into the NFL. He is very aware of the success of Jaelan Phillips and Greg Rousseau.

“I obviously want to go to a school where my position is being looked at highly and get drafted. Miami has a history of that,” Lucas said.

Lucas might also be looking to play baseball at the next level, so Miami gave him a look around the facilities around Mark Light Field.

“They were one of the later offers and I don’t think I told them that I was looking to play baseball too. They somehow found out and I was able to go and they showed me around the baseball facilities, everything they had offer and see the field,” Lucas said.

Lucas’s father was back in Coral Gables after attending the University of Miami as a student.

The blue-chipper’s did head back home feeling better about what Miami has going on.

“I got to see more of the campus. Before, I was a little kid, would come to some of the games, been on campus. I could really see everything. I really got to see what’s so great about the school,” the pass rusher said.

“Getting to get advice from Zach McCloud was amazing,” Lucas said. “What it really meant to change the culture for Miami these past couple of years. Since his freshman year he’s been one of their leaders. In the weight room and in the classroom, how much hard work you put in and how it’s really about to pay off for them.”

Despite the fact that Lucas would have used all five of his official visits this summer to see Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Oregon, Miami and then Alabama this coming weekend, the defensive lineman plans to take his time with a decision.

247Sports ranks Lucas as the No. 27 overall player in the class and the No. 1 player in Arizona.

As a junior, he collected 15.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks in just seven games.
What? He’s a D1 level baseball player at his size? Oh we def going to beat out the Irish being that he can play both at a extremely high level.

Advertisement

We need to put the full court press on this kid. He's not considering any in-state programs so we are all at an even playing field. Feels like he's there for the taking if we win some games and recruit him hard.

A baseball player too?! Good LAWD this kid is a ridiculous athlete.

Advertisement
Yep, kiss of death (or maybe not). "I want to see how they do this season". You want to pull OOS 5* caliber kids like this and you better put some numbers on the board and dont have any games again like the UNC embarassment this season. I dont think kids are expecting us to go 12-0 but 10-2 and look competitive in every game (esp Bama) and you can pull a kid like this.

Yep, kiss of death (or maybe not). "I want to see how they do this season". You want to pull OOS 5* caliber kids like this and you better put some numbers on the board and dont have any games again like the UNC embarassment this season. I dont think kids are expecting us to go 12-0 but 10-2 and look competitive in every game (esp Bama) and you can pull a kid like this.
Yea u have to look somewhat capable.....can't be getting embarrassed by UNC.

"Immigrant parents" WTF kinda of dog whistle bs are you pushing. Lucas's dad is from Miami and attended UM where he earned a IT degree. Lucas's dad is in cybersecurity so that fresh off the boat 1st generation safe environment bullcrap won't fly.

Go Canes

Dog whistle? ***** I'm Haitian, I know how some of these parents be rocking

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back