Anthony Jones?

Advertisement
From Rivals

Miami Central High School athlete Anthony Jones is an under-the-radar prospect with just a handful of offers.

He's currently committed to FIU.

But that could change with the Canes coming on strong in the past week. UM coaches Al Golden, James Coley, Brennan Carroll and Hurlie Brown sat down with him at his school.

"They'd been interested in me before that but really approached me and talked to me heavy starting last week," Jones said. "The coaches came, they were saying they want to change the program around, that I can come help Brad Kaaya and Joe Yearby.

"They said they're going to be offering me a scholarship - I'm excited about that."

An early graduate, Jones says he expects to make a final decision by the end of next week.

"Miami has a strong chance," he said. "I want to stay home so my mom and family can see me play."

He says that he's not putting UM or FIU on top right now.

"I committed to FIU because I felt they had a good scheme for me, I can fit the program there, change it around," Jones said. "But I never decided really."

Cincinnati is also pushing for him - their coaches are paying him an in-home visit on Wednesday. FIU's coaches visit tonight, and he said Miami coaches are taking an in-home with him later this week as well.

He expects to take a UM official visit this weekend.

"I'm talking to them tonight to set that up," he said.

Jones is being recruited as a receiver, running back or cornerback, and he also does kick returns. He plays primarily offense in high school (including Wildcat QB), and he has over 1,200 yards on offense (800 rushing) with more than 20 total touchdowns. He's also returned two kicks for scores.

A reason Jones has flown under the radar is he had to sit out last season because he took the wrong course - without a different credit he was ineligible. So even though he got an `A' in the class, he spent the season on scout team.

"That was tough, but I just knew I had to keep working to be where I wanted to be," he said.

Jones lists other offers from Cincinnati, Marshall and Bowling Green.

"He can play wide receiver, running back and defensive back and be dominant," Central High coach Roland Smith said. "He's taken off, has been a big key to our success. We've done a lot of special packages for him to showcase his athletic ability. He's a smart kid, knows our offense inside and out."

Advertisement
If they are trying to take him as a RB is it possible they feel that Dex or Scarlett are not as strong on Miami as they thought. I know Williams with UF and now Louisville showing intrest might be the reason, but is there someway they feel Scarlett might not stick?

If they are trying to take him as a RB is it possible they feel that Dex or Scarlett are not as strong on Miami as they thought. I know Williams with UF and now Louisville showing intrest might be the reason, but is there someway they feel Scarlett might not stick?

They probably just want the athlete. Insurance at running back and if they don't need it put him where they DO need it.

Kind of like with Trayone Gray last year. Honestly they should do it more often. Just get athletes and figure it all out in Fall.

Advertisement
He thats Cook's cousin..... they got some all stars in that family, big brother on UM basketball team, little brother is a pop warner legend, and Jones will be a stud....

Not sure if theres carries to go around but he's an athlete and local talent. Hes a player we woulda passed on last few years with this staff but guys like this helped build championships last 2 decades. Find a spot for him.

Advertisement
Funny everyone asks why they dont take SF kids and when they do people still question/doubt things...

Advertisement
These are the kinds of players you try to get at the end of the cycle. Once the coaches stop going to NJ to fill spots and start being loyal to these kinds of players, the home grown kids, the local recruits will start being more loyal to us.

Advertisement
Back