Another year, Another Gus Dyck Ridin Thread

Boy is the most talented RB on the team....

QB Brad Kaaya says he can see Edwards playing a big role.

“I think this offense fits him,” Kaaya said. “He’s been running the ball fairly well, so we’ll see as spring goes along and we get into summer and fall and conceptualize what we’ll do on offense.”

Cue Gus dance

Hold up...did he say running the ball "fairly well"?! Ooooh weeee that's exciting!

Advertisement
I'm not going to get into an argument about whether Gus Edwards is a good running back or not. He's done some good things, he's done some bad things. He's proven to be decent if not great in a part time role. What I will state, clearly is GUS EDWARDS IS NOT A FULLBACK. A fullback is not just a big running back. A fullback's duties and responsibilities are not the same as a running back's. A fullback's most important job is the lead blocker on running plays. When has Edwards ever shown any type of ability to blow up a linebacker? When has he ever shown any kind of blocking ability at all? Yup, never. Just because a guy is 235, doesn't mean his skills transfer to a different position. Some of you guys need to stop playing Madden and actually watch real football.

Exactly. A lot of people want to throw him at FB because he doesn't run tough for a 240 lb back, but a tough guy is exactly what you need at FB. Makes sense, right?

Now, as for Gus as a TB. I agree he needs to improve, but I DID see improvement from year one to year two. With a year off, and a new coaching staff, I'm not going to write him off. If Kaaya can play to his potential it will open a WORLD of holes for Gus to run through next fall. I trust Kaaya will take another two steps forward under Richt, and our O will fall nicely into place. Gus, like most backs, has a problem running into a D that knows what's coming. Now, give him a hole and a D that is thinking pass... look out.
I'm not going to get into an argument about whether Gus Edwards is a good running back or not. He's done some good things, he's done some bad things. He's proven to be decent if not great in a part time role. What I will state, clearly is GUS EDWARDS IS NOT A FULLBACK. A fullback is not just a big running back. A fullback's duties and responsibilities are not the same as a running back's. A fullback's most important job is the lead blocker on running plays. When has Edwards ever shown any type of ability to blow up a linebacker? When has he ever shown any kind of blocking ability at all? Yup, never. Just because a guy is 235, doesn't mean his skills transfer to a different position. Some of you guys need to stop playing Madden and actually watch real football.

Advertisement
We need this guy, I'm all for Gus having an incredible year! MR knows how to use big backs, if anybody can turn the light on for Gus it's him.

Exactly what I said in the other thread on this....Richt and Brown identifying and teaching. They know they have no Gurley here, but they want and need a serviceable big back, and with some fine tuning...Gus can fit that bill.

So what if the guy has played FB? Do you want a FB at 240 that can't truck somebody with a head of steam at RB?

The kid will come around to what Richt and Brown want, or unfortunately, we will be seeing Yearby and Walton in similar situations as last year.

“I think this offense fits him,” Kaaya said. “He’s been running the ball fairly well, so we’ll see as spring goes along and we get into summer and fall and conceptualize what we’ll do on offense.”

Cue Gus dance

we really need edwards to be healthy this year , nothing against yearby or walton but we need a big back to compliment those two

I hope he is the best because Walton and Yearby aren't difference makers....And we should always have a couple of those at Miami....

Classic. Yearby and Walton aren't difference makers. Both were top 10 RBs coming out of HS. Yearby had 1000 yards and averaged 5 yards a carry behind one of the worst offensive lines in college football.

Advertisement
Gus's legacy at The U is being DP's tackling dummy. DP is praying Gus ends up on the Chargers' practice squad.

I have hope but this is Yearby and Waltons backfield...and here comes the Gray supporters throwing a fit in 3,2,1 lol

Advertisement

Cue Gus dance
I am not going to doubt you on that point. Not because I think Gus is the next Adrian Peterson like some said last year, but because Yearby and Walton were not that impressive last year. It will be interesting to see how much Homer plays next year because Miami's offense lacks explosive players.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back