Another November

View as article
For the past twenty years, Miami has collapsed in November. We are 0-2. At least we don't have to talk about our chances to win the Coastal anymore.

Yesterday's performance was not bad. Miami had a chance to tie at the end, on the road, without the benefit of a single turnover. The teams were not far apart talent wise.

The problem is that the head coach and quarterback already threw away two games before this one. That's the frustration. This team is clearly improved across the board and yet we are positioned for another November nightmare. The players are deflated and the QB is spiraling. These next two games are enormous- there is a major difference between 8-4 with momentum and 6-6 with toxicity. Some specific thoughts:

- Emory Williams won over a lot of teammates with those two runs. At this point, I would project him more as an ideal game-manager backup. That doesn't mean he can't be more than that, but we need to procure a starter from the Portal.

- While the talent gap has closed (and Miami has the advantage at several spots), FSU has a major advantage in terms of impact skill. As @Cribby noted, Miami lacks difference makers and explosive players even beyond scheme issues. We need more explosive runs and one-on-one wins at WR.

- Respect to Frank Ladson for the play of his career. He went and high-pointed the onside kick and took a huge hit in the process.

- Jacolby George was probably the second-saddest person in the stadium when Emory went down. He is continuing to develop and was getting looks he doesn't see with Tyler Van Dyke. If Van Dyke is going to start salvaging his season, he will need to find George like he did against TAMU.

- Francisco Mauigoia is having a monster year. 54 tackles, 15 TFLs, 6.5 sacks and an INT. We need to keep the Poly pipeline going in the Portal.

- Damari Brown and Jadais Richard showed physical ability and hopefully gained some confidence against two future pros. Brown and Richard are huge for the future of the DB position. One or both may even grow into safeties. I expect Miami to chase an impact corner or two in the Portal.

- Mark Fletcher missed some holes yesterday. He seemed amped up. We need a bounceback next week against a Louisville team that is Top 10 against the run.

- Unless someone runs out of the back of the end zone like Dan Orlosvky, we may never see a safety again.
Dmoney the offensive offense we are seeeing weekly… is this Mario meddling as some have suggested? Or was this just the wrong hire? If wrong hire any chance we eat yet another contract move on from Dawson at the end of the season and give Mario one more swing to get a hit?

Advertisement
The counter to that is you have a physically damaged QB in Van Dyke, a very raw freshman in Emory, and a QB that needed development that hasn’t played all season in Jacurri. I can see why Mario and Dawson went more conservative as the season went on.

If Quinn Ewers was behind the line of scrimmage I am less inclined to think we are just handing it off.
That’s still on Mario. He didn’t land a top QB recruit or pursue a transfer to push TVD and be a capable backup.

Advertisement
Talent gap closed isn't a sign of progress:

2021 we were favored and we came out flat and then came back to have a let-down against FSU. Manny's only loss.

2022 Mario gets murdered 45-3. Did FSU close the talent gap or the coaching gap?

2023 Mario looses again but it was close. Great, Golden did that as well.

This talent gap thing is nonsense. Good coaches win with loser players. Every championship coach over the last 40 years hasn't needed time to get more talent before they started producing strong winning seasons.

Mario has already missed the mark on #of wins in the first two years on what every other championship coach the last 40 years. Most of them didn't have the portal. None had stacked classes.
Go back to sleep, wake up and do some research on talent and recruitment classes! How many teams have won national championships with recruiting classes outside the top 10???

Mario's 2 most important recruiting tasks this offseason are:
1) keep impactful veterans to stay 1 more year than leave for the draft.
2) find a high end QB in the portal. Someone with special talent. Whether that's through the air or on the ground of both.

Whoever the OC is next year, needs to have Chris Johnson Jr as RB1 or RB1b. Cause Fletcher is good and has a role. His vision needs work and he has to stop trying to cut back on DBs in space. Johnson has the cut and the speed to break the long runs and ******* finish them.

Drop X on the depth chart. He looks like he's running in molasses and his hands failed him yesterday. And he still doesn't know when to field a punt. Tell him to hit the portal with TVD. Start Brashard or RayRay(if healthy) or Williams in the slot.
X better go pro this year because with TVD out next year and others coming in, we won’t get close to the numbers he produced this year.

For the past twenty years, Miami has collapsed in November. We are 0-2. At least we don't have to talk about our chances to win the Coastal anymore.

Yesterday's performance was not bad. Miami had a chance to tie at the end, on the road, without the benefit of a single turnover. The teams were not far apart talent wise.

The problem is that the head coach and quarterback already threw away two games before this one. That's the frustration. This team is clearly improved across the board and yet we are positioned for another November nightmare. The players are deflated and the QB is spiraling. These next two games are enormous- there is a major difference between 8-4 with momentum and 6-6 with toxicity. Some specific thoughts:

- Emory Williams won over a lot of teammates with those two runs. At this point, I would project him more as an ideal game-manager backup. That doesn't mean he can't be more than that, but we need to procure a starter from the Portal.

- While the talent gap has closed (and Miami has the advantage at several spots), FSU has a major advantage in terms of impact skill. As @Cribby noted, Miami lacks difference makers and explosive players even beyond scheme issues. We need more explosive runs and one-on-one wins at WR.

- Respect to Frank Ladson for the play of his career. He went and high-pointed the onside kick and took a huge hit in the process.

- Jacolby George was probably the second-saddest person in the stadium when Emory went down. He is continuing to develop and was getting looks he doesn't see with Tyler Van Dyke. If Van Dyke is going to start salvaging his season, he will need to find George like he did against TAMU.

- Francisco Mauigoia is having a monster year. 54 tackles, 15 TFLs, 6.5 sacks and an INT. We need to keep the Poly pipeline going in the Portal.

- Damari Brown and Jadais Richard showed physical ability and hopefully gained some confidence against two future pros. Brown and Richard are huge for the future of the DB position. One or both may even grow into safeties. I expect Miami to chase an impact corner or two in the Portal.

- Mark Fletcher missed some holes yesterday. He seemed amped up. We need a bounceback next week against a Louisville team that is Top 10 against the run.

- Unless someone runs out of the back of the end zone like Dan Orlosvky, we may never see a safety again.
You forgot to say sit TVD and play JB

Advertisement
You forgot to say sit TVD and play JB
dont put JB out there if you haven't even given him a snap all year. at this point, let TVD finish out his miami career. we can't afford to risk an injury to JB after the EW injury. we likely lost EW for the offseason and can't risk it for another QB esp since tvd is gone

Tvd will finish the year with jb sprinkled in most likely. It sucks, but it is what it is. Hopefully they just yank tvd if he implodes

Go back to sleep, wake up and do some research on talent and recruitment classes! How many teams have won national championships with recruiting classes outside the top 10???
No I've researched this thoroughly. I love to pull out this chart and you've given me the opportunity. Thank you! Just ask yourself how many top classes recruited to the turnarounds of these national championship coaches. Almost all didn't have the portal to start having success.

SmartSelect_20231112_090510_Sheets.jpg

I expect us to end up with a starter-quality guy who has produced. We’ll see.
@DMoney - What QB you would spend big with is going to want to play in this offense or even another new OC with Mario’s rep now when that same QB will get big money offers from others as well

i see a lot of hype about it and then we swing and miss when it’s all said and done and we get a whatever body

Advertisement
We’re building to a point where we win 8-9 games consistently and compete for a conference title ever few years. With that will come 1-2 head scratchers every year.

Please add space to the offense

I wonder how different the skill position group looks in 2024. I’m sure attrition and upgrades but that entire group is missing firepower.

Parrish
Chaney
Allen
Chris Johnson
Citizen
Colbie
X
Brashard
George
Skinner

How many of these 10 actually come back or are asked to look elsewhere?
George citizen and Chris Johnson i want back

Advertisement
Sucks that CFB isn't entirely about winning, instead it's about proving your skillset to ensure getting drafted at the highest possible spot. With that in mind no top QB in their right mind will ever have Miami as a top 3 destination. We will settle on the QB market and rest assure Mario does not have the eye to select between a D+ QB or a C+ QB.

What’s your reaction to Dawson and the offensive game plan yesterday @DMoney

Advertisement
Back