Another November

View as article
Advertisement
For the past twenty years, Miami has collapsed in November. We are 0-2. At least we don't have to talk about our chances to win the Coastal anymore.

Yesterday's performance was not bad. Miami had a chance to tie at the end, on the road, without the benefit of a single turnover. The teams were not far apart talent wise.

The problem is that the head coach and quarterback already threw away two games before this one. That's the frustration. This team is clearly improved across the board and yet we are positioned for another November nightmare. The players are deflated and the QB is spiraling. These next two games are enormous- there is a major difference between 8-4 with momentum and 6-6 with toxicity. Some specific thoughts:

- Emory Williams won over a lot of teammates with those two runs. At this point, I would project him more as an ideal game-manager backup. That doesn't mean he can't be more than that, but we need to procure a starter from the Portal.

- While the talent gap has closed (and Miami has the advantage at several spots), FSU has a major advantage in terms of impact skill. As @Cribby noted, Miami lacks difference makers and explosive players even beyond scheme issues. We need more explosive runs and one-on-one wins at WR.

- Respect to Frank Ladson for the play of his career. He went and high-pointed the onside kick and took a huge hit in the process.

- Jacolby George was probably the second-saddest person in the stadium when Emory went down. He is continuing to develop and was getting looks he doesn't see with Tyler Van Dyke. If Van Dyke is going to start salvaging his season, he will need to find George like he did against TAMU.

- Francisco Mauigoia is having a monster year. 54 tackles, 15 TFLs, 6.5 sacks and an INT. We need to keep the Poly pipeline going in the Portal.

- Damari Brown and Jadais Richard showed physical ability and hopefully gained some confidence against two future pros. Brown and Richard are huge for the future of the DB position. One or both may even grow into safeties. I expect Miami to chase an impact corner or two in the Portal.

- Mark Fletcher missed some holes yesterday. He seemed amped up. We need a bounceback next week against a Louisville team that is Top 10 against the run.

- Unless someone runs out of the back of the end zone like Dan Orlosvky, we may never see a safety again.

Spot on. No moral victories. Losing to tech and NC state really sting. Could be 8-2 right now.

Miami is a QB and elite skill position away from being really good. Guidry is doing an amazing job for what talent he was given. Keep recruiting and hope this class doesn’t crumble with two more losses.

Pay big money for a portal QB, NFL WR and for all the fringe nfl guys to come back like Kam, Lee, Rivers, Cohen, Williams etc… then you make a big run in 2024.

This off season is massive for Mario and where this program goes. Season is already over. Just start #11 and see what you got in your QB room. No reason to put TVD back on the field he is toast

I still think we can finish strong these next two weeks. Defense has been impressive and if we get average QB play we could be 8-2 right now instead of 6-4

Advertisement
serious question, do you think D’eriq king would have led us to 9-1 or higher with this team or would Mario have regressed him too?

Talent gap closed isn't a sign of progress:

2021 we were favored and we came out flat and then came back to have a let-down against FSU. Manny's only loss.

2022 Mario gets murdered 45-3. Did FSU close the talent gap or the coaching gap?

2023 Mario looses again but it was close. Great, Golden did that as well.

This talent gap thing is nonsense. Good coaches win with loser players. Every championship coach over the last 40 years hasn't needed time to get more talent before they started producing strong winning seasons.

Mario has already missed the mark on #of wins in the first two years on what every other championship coach the last 40 years. Most of them didn't have the portal. None had stacked classes.
Can you tell me which one of those championship coaches won without a competent QB ?

Problems are definitely deeper than just QB. Mario is a meddling idiot who can’t keep his hands off the offense. No wonder he’s been a mid coach his whole career. The stuff Dawson is currently running, he’s never done at previous stops. We finally get a good OL(Mario definitely deserves props for that) and our QBs suck, RBs have no explosiveness, TEs are irrelevant, and George seems to be the only receiver who can separate at times. Our personnel usage is absolutely ridiculous. Hardly ever use the young TEs. The one TE we use is a glorified extra OL. On passing downs they try to use his slow ***, just another guy the defense can ignore. There is absolutely no explosiveness in this offense. But yet they limit Brashards snaps, don’t use Ray Ray or Washington at all and won’t let CJ Jr. touch the field. Probably because he’s not a RB you can just slam up the middle for 2 yards. Where the **** were Allen and Parrish yesterday? Defensively side is fine because I actually trust the coaches. CB is limited with talent and DT depth sucks but those guys are coaching their asses off.

Advertisement
Better coaching, better use of the portal which is coaching, better adjustments which is coaching, development vs destruction of the QB position which is coaching….

I think we’re onto something here man…
Mario didn't bring Benson cause he didn't wanna bring too many oregon guys so he'd earn trust of players he inherited

Advertisement
For the past twenty years, Miami has collapsed in November. We are 0-2. At least we don't have to talk about our chances to win the Coastal anymore.

Yesterday's performance was not bad. Miami had a chance to tie at the end, on the road, without the benefit of a single turnover. The teams were not far apart talent wise.

The problem is that the head coach and quarterback already threw away two games before this one. That's the frustration. This team is clearly improved across the board and yet we are positioned for another November nightmare. The players are deflated and the QB is spiraling. These next two games are enormous- there is a major difference between 8-4 with momentum and 6-6 with toxicity. Some specific thoughts:

- Emory Williams won over a lot of teammates with those two runs. At this point, I would project him more as an ideal game-manager backup. That doesn't mean he can't be more than that, but we need to procure a starter from the Portal.

- While the talent gap has closed (and Miami has the advantage at several spots), FSU has a major advantage in terms of impact skill. As @Cribby noted, Miami lacks difference makers and explosive players even beyond scheme issues. We need more explosive runs and one-on-one wins at WR.

- Respect to Frank Ladson for the play of his career. He went and high-pointed the onside kick and took a huge hit in the process.

- Jacolby George was probably the second-saddest person in the stadium when Emory went down. He is continuing to develop and was getting looks he doesn't see with Tyler Van Dyke. If Van Dyke is going to start salvaging his season, he will need to find George like he did against TAMU.

- Francisco Mauigoia is having a monster year. 54 tackles, 15 TFLs, 6.5 sacks and an INT. We need to keep the Poly pipeline going in the Portal.

- Damari Brown and Jadais Richard showed physical ability and hopefully gained some confidence against two future pros. Brown and Richard are huge for the future of the DB position. One or both may even grow into safeties. I expect Miami to chase an impact corner or two in the Portal.

- Mark Fletcher missed some holes yesterday. He seemed amped up. We need a bounceback next week against a Louisville team that is Top 10 against the run.

- Unless someone runs out of the back of the end zone like Dan Orlosvky, we may never see a safety again.
I didn't hate the game and I didn't hate the decisions about the OC, HC, QB etc.

The team looks like it could compete with anyone, to be honest, just missing the game breaker on the outside.
Emory is gonna be average and maybe slightly above average QB in P5 but he'll need the above the the continued strong defense and OL with a run game.

I preferred the passing game and choices with Emory in the game, seems more varied.
The run game needs different run calls, trap, counter, split zone, zone ugly, etc. it wasn't all IZ some pull run plays were in and they were biggies, just mid 3rd you gotta start calling those up.

Pinning our hopes on a portal miracle at QB, it's still funny seeing people saying this is the way.

Any OC we face recruiting QB X this off season would only need 15 minutes to show why having a QB isn't needed here besides handing off the ball. It isn't even worth my time explaining how and why that is, but it's there for all to see in the film.
They still don’t get it, brother. Not much else to say when others willfully refuse to see.

Fsu the better team won, barely.

Our defense held them to 57 rushing yards. This game should have been 22 for us at least. Had we not missed the field goal would have been 25. And we could have won 28 to 27.
I’m usually not the kind of guy who adds and subtracts potential points, but
2 plays:

JW lining up off sides
puts them at 2nd and 5, instead of 3rd and 10.
They get the TD there instead of a potential FG attempt.
(was anyone else screaming at the TV this play???)

Emory sack in the second quarter.
Communication breakdown on the Oline when we had a crosser open.
40 yard FG attempt turns into a missed 50 yarder.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario didn't bring Benson cause he didn't wanna bring too many oregon guys so he'd earn trust of players he inherited

He brought at least three players from Oregon over time, had no problem ridding the team of all the “cancers” per some of the MariBros here…

It’s more likely he didn’t bring him because of the injury, and Benson runs against Mario like he’s making a point…

I’m usually not the kind of guy who adds and subtracts potential points, but
2 plays:

JW lining up off sides
puts them at 2nd and 5, instead of 3rd and 10.
They get the TD there instead of a potential FG attempt.
(was anyone else screaming at the TV this play???)

Emory sack in the second quarter.
Communication breakdown on the Oline when we had a crosser open.
40 yard FG attempt turns into a 50 missed yarder.
And on that sack in the second quarter we had Riley Williams running wide open too on a crossing route to the right of the field. Had deloach(#4) been blocked it would have been a big play

Last edited:
I wonder how different the skill position group looks in 2024. I’m sure attrition and upgrades but that entire group is missing firepower.

Parrish
Chaney
Allen
Chris Johnson
Citizen
Colbie
X
Brashard
George
Skinner

How many of these 10 actually come back or are asked to look elsewhere?

Advertisement
Back