Anonymous Coaches Talk Miami

Redwine and JJ were smart players that made up for speed or fluidity with intelligence. I think the crop we have are exponentially more athletic and built, so that alone should cover up mistakes of experience by about 80%. Within Manny's defense plays are simpler so I don't see much of a drop. Plus we have a junior in Carter, a sophomore in Hall and a senior in Finley as he rotates to and from Striker. So its not like we are rolling out true freshmen with no experience within the system.
Even with the losses of the dbs, we still have a talented secondary. Plus the defensive coaches especially the dbs have built up enough of a track record in the last 3 years to know they will have their guys ready plus they will be playing behind a great dline once again with our scheme with perhaps better pass rushing overall and just a very strong front 7 in general

Advertisement
Just gave this response to another poster:

In losses to Virginia, Duke and GT our team literally did worse than nothing offensively. Not only did we barely score, we gifted each of those teams multiple scores via turnover to create our own doom.

Any type of game where our offense isn't a net negative and we win all three of those, with an ending more like the Pitt, Virginia Tech and UNC games.

We don't have to be world beaters offensively to run the table on this schedule, we just have to avoid complete and total ineptness, which I have little doubt we can do.
Love this take. This is how teams have these wild turnaround people don't usually see coming. They look only at past results and don't compensate for hows. We lost the turnover battle even after causing 25, and we lost only one regular season game by 1 score (didn't check but sure that BC game though a 13 point loss, had a random end of game TD).

If we have one less turnover per game we probably go 9-4 with a ****** ****** offense. Its no reach at all to say we win minimum 10 games this year.

We just finished 3rd in the coastal and 7-6 overall with one of the best defenses in the country. We should have a better offense this year but predicting us to finish 3rd again isnt unreasonable.

...and one of the worst offenses in the country. A similar defense and even a mediocre offense should get us the Coastal, or at least 2nd. Who would you say would be better than us? VTech has a LOT of holes to fill on both sides of the ball. Pitt? Virginia? Maybe one of them could upend us, by I don't see us being passed by two of them.

Redwine and JJ were smart players that made up for speed or fluidity with intelligence. I think the crop we have are exponentially more athletic and built, so that alone should cover up mistakes of experience by about 80%. Within Manny's defense plays are simpler so I don't see much of a drop. Plus we have a junior in Carter, a sophomore in Hall and a senior in Finley as he rotates to and from Striker. So its not like we are rolling out true freshmen with no experience within the system.
Agree, and I'm hoping for the best. But the previous poster is correct, you don't just easily plug in and replace experience and leadership like we had with JJ and Redwine.

Agree, and I'm hoping for the best. But the previous poster is correct, you don't just easily plug in and replace experience and leadership like we had with JJ and Redwine.
Maybe not with experience but behind that front 7 it’s hard to be bad and don’t kid yourself our secondary is very talented

Advertisement
So Virginia and vag tech get a pass but we don’t.
I’m glad we got rid of cmr. But even if last year we were just a little better in a few things our record would be easily 2-3 games better. So what they’re saying is despite literally leaving the same defensive game plan and at the very least improving our offense and punting, the teams that basically have changed nothing are still going to outperform us.

This is not a normal rebuild, we aren’t starting over on scratch on defense like you would do with a completely new head coach. That side of the ball is solidified. Players come and go every year, the show however doesn’t stop going.

Yes , The offense has been overhauled and I really Think people aren’t taking in consideration just how bad our O impacted the games we lost last year. It was such an abnormal year offensively that anyone that isn’t expecting immediate improvement is on some goofy sh*t tbqh. We are talking about 165 yards passing per game... 1 game all year vs LSU mind you which was the first game of the season over 225 yards passing. Do you know how pathetic that is? When has miami every done some bullsh*t like that? You CANT win games like that with an ineffective passing game. Dan Enos doesn’t roll like that and will immediate fix Miami’s passing game period without any doubt especially with all the weapons and talent he has at his disposal.

Advertisement
We had a massive dropoff in experience after the 2016 season losing 4 starters and look how well they did in 2017
Agree. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the kids we have in this secondary. But the context of this discussion was that we were going to be a better defense in 2019 than we were in 2018. While that may end up proving true, to state it's an improvement in the secondary when we lost JJ and Redwine because these youngsters have talent just doesn't hold water.

Agree. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the kids we have in this secondary. But the context of this discussion was that we were going to be a better defense in 2019 than we were in 2018. While that may end up proving true, to state it's an improvement in the secondary when we lost JJ and Redwine because these youngsters have talent just doesn't hold water.
For one as much Gerald Willis gets praise and how good he was at times, he also left some holes on the defense when he didn’t get back there with his swim move. We may not have a player put up the stats Gerald Willis did but we will however be much deeper at the dt position. There is much more quality in the 2019 group than there was in the 2018 dt group.

As far as the dbs goes, yes they were great players but multiple guys who are replacing them in the secondary have higher ceilings overall and they will be playing behind a dominant front 7 which should help the transition and it’s not like we will be playing many dominant offenses in 2019 outside of Clemson if we make it to championship

People wrote the 2018 dline off when we lost productive players like chad Thomas, McIntosh, norton and Harris yet the new dline out performed those guys right? Same thing could happen with the secondary and we have plenty of options back there

Advertisement
For one as much Gerald Willis gets praise and how good he was at times, he also left some holes on the defense when he didn’t get back there with his swim move. We may not have a player put up the stats Gerald Willis did but we will however be much deeper at the dt position. There is much more quality in the 2019 group than there was in the 2018 dt group.

As far as the dbs goes, yes they were great players but multiple guys who are replacing them in the secondary have higher ceilings overall and they will be playing behind a dominant front 7 which should help the transition and it’s not like we will be playing many dominant offenses in 2019 outside of Clemson if we make it to championship

People wrote the 2018 dline off when we lost productive players like chad Thomas, McIntosh, norton and Harris yet the new dline out performed those guys right? Same thing could happen with the secondary and we have plenty of options back there
Fair enough. I agree the d-line may prove to be a better unit. LBs (assuming they can stay healthy) should be the best in the nation. I still hold concerns re the secondary, however. I think it will take them some time to gel... just like it did JJ and Redwine.

Miami can potentially have a starting lineup of the following:
Lt scaife
LG Donaldson
C gaynor
Rg Reed
Rt Herbert
4 out of 5 of these guys were consensus 4 star caliber players and each played in the under armour all American game. They are going to surprise folks this year and it’s not nearly as big of an issue as people think it is. As much as the new system will help the skill guys and qbs it will also help the oline too

Depth was my main concern. If it takes a step forward just a little winning the coastal shouldnt be an issue.

Advertisement

We were worried about replacing Jenkins and Carter after 2016. Red wine and Johnson stepped right up.

Worried about freshman linebackers and had our best defense in years.

Norton and Mac went pro early, what are we gonna do? Have one of the top total defenses in the nation.

Have we not learned? Doubting Manny is foolish. The defense will be fine. As long as we press the slots and don’t go crazy with the safety blitz, we may field his best defense yet. Jon Ford taking the next step is huge.

The reason we have not had a truly dominant defense is because we have not had a dominant nose tackle. I liked Norton, but we need to start fielding top three round prospects at the nose. Our three techs have been awesome. If we can get a 1 tech that can truly command and control the double team, it is game over. We will have the best defense in the country.

The defense will take a step back, although it will probably be slight.

The offense will take a step forward, because literally it’s impossible not to.

A little worse defense combined with an improved offense nets at least 9 games. 8-4 is possible, but would be a disappointment. 10-2 is possible, and would be an achievement. 9-3 is likely, and would be a nice first year for Manny as a bottom line. Then we can discuss the nuances of each game, because not every win or loss is created equal.

In my mind, it's all about our OL and how quickly they can gel. The skill talent is there and our QBs are finally getting the coaching they've so sorely missed over the last few seasons. Our defense will likely take a small step back but it will be minor since Manny's scheme is largely plug-and-play. The front 7 should be nasty so if we can avoid injuries we absolutely have the talent to be a 9+ win team in this sh1tty conference. Finishing third in our division would be a massive disappointment.

Advertisement
Back