Andre Johnson and Vince Wilfork HoFs?

Hurricane Hero

Recruit
Do you think Andre Johnson and Vince Wilfork make it into Canton? Andre is 11th in career receptions and yards, but 46th in TDs. He was a prominent wide receiver for the Texans for more than a decade and has all sorts of NFL accolades through out his career. He does a lot with charity and other than assaulting Courtalnd Finnegan he is a big philanthropist. He doesn’t have a ring which can be a negative to some, but a good amount of wide receivers in the Hall don’t either. Vince Wilfork is a bit of a hard sell because he played Nose Tackle throughout his career, which usually doesn’t garner a lot of stats and recognition. That aside he was a five time pro bowler, four time all-pro and two time Super Bowl champion. He was a staple to the Patriots defense for a decade and was also named to the Pats 50th anniversary team. The reason why I ask this question because if you think both are in fact Hall of Famers, like myself, then that 2001 team would have had four NFL HoFs on it which is probably the most notable thing about that team. Some schools are lucky to have one, FSU has two or three and UF has two also and the 2001 team could have four, that’s insane. The 2001 Miami Hurricanes is the greatest team ever to step foot on a field.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Weirdly, I think Wilfork actually has a better shot. He was a staple on a dynasty and is a big time personality, so even while he was playing, the "is Wilfork underrated?" conversation was being had, which boosted his profile.

Johnson was probably the better player but had so many amazing contemporaries that overshadowed him due to the Schaub Effect, at a time when receiver stats have been devalued.

I think both qualify on the merits.

When Andre Johnson played a full season he was a 100 Rec 1400 yard a season WR and did it pretty consistently. Despite missing 23 Games in 12 years at Houston he still put up 1,012 Recs and 13,600 Yards. If you average out his 169 games on 16 game season averages he puts up 95 Recs 1,300 yards per season

Advertisement
They wont be first ballot HOFer's. Andree Johnson has the better chance to get in

I think Wilfork makes it in.

Issac Bruce, Tory Holt, Reggie Wayne are finalists this year.

If those guys make it in (eventually, not just this year), it's a good sign for Andre Johnson. If they don't, it's going to be tough.

Advertisement
He does a lot with charity and other than assaulting Courtalnd Finnegan he is a big philanthropist.

Actually, Andre's "assault" of Cortland Finnegan (a known loudmouth and borderline dirty player) is counted among his many philanthropic endeavors by many in the league.

They should both make it in, but it'll likely take some time because it's harder at WR, and nose guards don't get the respect they deserve from the writers/voters.

If Torry Holt gets in, Andre Johnson would be a lock.

I would think so.

I think all these WR's have a good argument to be HOF'ers over the next couple of years, so it'll be interesting to see who gets in and who has to wait.

Isaac Bruce
Tory Holt
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Anquan Boldin
Calvin Johnson

Advertisement
Do you think Andre Johnson and Vince Wilfork make it into Canton? Andre is 11th in career receptions and yards, but 46th in TDs. He was a prominent wide receiver for the Texans for more than a decade and has all sorts of NFL accolades through out his career. He does a lot with charity and other than assaulting Courtalnd Finnegan he is a big philanthropist. He doesn’t have a ring which can be a negative to some, but a good amount of wide receivers in the Hall don’t either. Vince Wilfork is a bit of a hard sell because he played Nose Tackle throughout his career, which usually doesn’t garner a lot of stats and recognition. That aside he was a five time pro bowler, four time all-pro and two time Super Bowl champion. He was a staple to the Patriots defense for a decade and was also named to the Pats 50th anniversary team. The reason why I ask this question because if you think both are in fact Hall of Famers, like myself, then that 2001 team would have had four NFL HoFs on it which is probably the most notable thing about that team. Some schools are lucky to have one, FSU has two or three and UF has two also and the 2001 team could have four, that’s insane. The 2001 Miami Hurricanes is the greatest team ever to step foot on a field.
Is a neckbone greasy?

I would think so.

I think all these WR's have a good argument to be HOF'ers over the next couple of years, so it'll be interesting to see who gets in and who has to wait.

Isaac Bruce
Tory Holt
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Anquan Boldin
Calvin Johnson

To me, I'd put Isaac Bruce, Andre Johnson, and Calvin Johnson as Tier 1 receivers. Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith in Tier 2. Torry Holt and Anquan Boldin in Tier 3. Tiers 1 and 2 should definitely get in at some point, Tier 3 would have to get in with a weaker class.

Think they both have a solid shot.

Wilfork would be our 3rd DT.

Can't be too many other colleges with that number or more.

Andre would get my vote based on his assault of Cortland Finnegan alone!

Advertisement
Back