Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article
Cristobal has a history of not understanding QB position anyone with eyes and a brain knows Jacurri is the better QB period. Emory has no arm, he isn’t mobile. This is football 2023 you need a mobile QB. Jacurri has the big arm and is mobile and with a running game behind this line we would be unstoppable. Think Tebow. D$ I respect you to much, but stop spinning this bag of crap. Look how Lashlee changed our offense for King and TVD. It is the OC job to build the offense around the players not the opposite. So please don’t give us the system crap too. I know you are reporting but we need to have analysis not cheerleaders. 20 years of carrying the coaches spin is why we are in this position today.
I’m not going to say Mario is a qb guru, or anything close to it.

But anyone who watches Miami football knows that Jacurri wouldn’t have won the Clemson game, and would’ve gotten us crushed in the FSU game.

What’s more, had Emory NOT gotten hurt, we win the Rutgers game….the team just doesn’t respond the same with Jacurri in the game as they did when Emory pulled off the unthinkable of beating Clemson.

Advertisement
You have multiple media outlets attending practices. You have 1 or 2 media saying one thing and another 1 or 2 are saying the exact opposite.

Is it case where they all look at the ground where some see a 6 and others see a 9? I don't think so.

I think the fanbase needs to understand that there are certain media outlets that make their living placating to the program which gives them more access than others. They carry the narratives and water the program wants.

There's been multiple situations this Spring where the performance of certain players have been in question not just at QB. For example, one of the transfer's performance was in question. There have been opposing takes on that player's performance by people who have attended the practices. How do you get one side saying a performance has been terrible and another say absolutely nothing when questioned about it?

The same has happened to the QB position. One faction of the media is telling us player X has performerd better than player Y and another faction has said player Y has performed better than player X and it hasn't even been close. They've all attended practices and have seen the same thing. Who do you believe?
Gary is that you?

We should all be able to agree if Emory or Jacurri are in the game at QB things have gone horribly wrong. If you care who the #3 QB then you are likely happy with a 8-4 season.
It’s a compelling drama for people that love to drum up a certain…angle…and that’s about it

For the rest of reality no one gives a **** about our QB3 battle

JB and EW should never start here imo. All I needed to see was them play and was like nope. JB out of HS did fool me though where as EW I saw the HS film and was like nah. But there are dudes like this even on the most dominant programs, u miss an eval or u get a kid that u know will stay cause they themselves know they won’t ever play.

Advertisement
Here’s the thing - everyone wants JB to be successful. Nobody is saying otherwise. It just may not be here. You can’t compare him to Tebow or Can Newton but he’s frankly a different player. Tebow while having a below average arm fit the system for Urban perfectly. Not to mention Urban was the perfect coach for him and made sure to tailor everything around him. He’s going to go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time. We don’t have that - nor was JB as good in HS as Tebow or as ready. Cam or even a Dante Culpepper to age some of you were different QBs too. Even take some of the guys that might resemble his skill set today - Milroe much better passer.

Unfortunately JB is not a good passer - anyone can see that. He’s just not and in this system we need someone who can make throws because it’s a modification of the air raid. I want him to be successful and he’s a great kid from everything but it would be a hurculean effort for him to get where we need him.

Emory is a better “game manager” and he’s another great kid but I’m not a fan from a talent perspective but he makes less mistakes overall which puts him ahead.

Lastly most media don’t know how to evaluate QBs and see very little. You really need to watch these guys over longer stretches. Everyone can make an amazing throw - remember they are D1 players but like anything the cream rises to the top.

This post is false on multiple levels and needs to be addressed.

First, there are not multiple media outlets consistently attending practice. In this thread, however, you have multiple fans who have attended. practice telling everyone the same thing.

What they are saying is consistent with reality. Jacurri has played almost exclusively with the threes and has not, to this point, performed like the #2 QB.

Some of that is out of his control (his reps are with worse players and the offense isn’t tailored to his skill set). I am a Jacurri fan and think he can be successful. But that’s just reality. For example, in yesterday’s extended team period, he struggled to complete passes, did not lead a TD drive and threw a pick-6 to Pulliam.

My opinion, which is an amateur opinion but humbly based on the most access in the media, is that Poff is a clear #2 with Emory next and then Jacurri. That’s not a “coach’s narrative” because plenty of coaches love Emory. Coaches on every staff have different opinion on players. I’ll let everyone come to their own conclusions when they see the spring game.
NO. There are people in the media who said exactly what I pointed to. I made no accusations of you. I left the media names out not to accuse anyone directly. . This is not my personal view or opinion. I am pointing to the FACT that people in the media have made opposing views on the same player performances. That's a fact not fiction. It's out there for anyone to consume.

There are 2 media members that attend practices that contradict what other have said and written.

A few days ago, you had a regular CIS videocast member on the Voice of College Football saying it was a Reese vs Jaccuri battle for QB2. Even in house there are opposing views.

Last edited:
NO. There are people in the media who said exactly what I pointed to. I made no accusations of you. I left the media names out not to accuse anyone directly. . This is not my personal view or opinion. I am pointing to the FACT that people in the media have made opposing views on the same player performances. That's a fact not fiction. It's out there for anyone to consume.

There are 2 media members that attend practices that contradict what other have said and written.

A few days ago, you have a regular CIS videocast member on the Voice of College Football saying it was a Reese vs Jaccuri battle for QB2. Even in house there are opposing views.
I have listened to enough podcasts and can say you’re 100% correct. At the end of the day it is obvious Jacurri will be in the portal in a week or two. Emory will never start as Mario will get another portal QB in December Reese will compete against that player. If Emory plays this year we are going 4-8 because that means Cam and Reese got hurt.

JB and EW should never start here imo. All I needed to see was them play and was like nope. JB out of HS did fool me though where as EW I saw the HS film and was like nah. But there are dudes like this even on the most dominant programs, u miss an eval or u get a kid that u know will stay cause they themselves know they won’t ever play.
Nothing wrong with having QBs like this on the depth chart especially these days with QBs bailing immediately when they don’t play. But yeah you don’t want them carrying the team

Advertisement
100% It blows my mind how bad some posters on here want JB to be pushed into the backup role even if he's not better than the others. I have ZERO and I mean ZERO inside info but there is a poster(not on this board) who goes to every practice and he said JB had one of his worst days of the spring yesterday. 🤷‍♂️
What’s your eyes tell you when he plays ? Then compare it to others pushing narratives ? What makes more sense ? And that’s coming from a guy who’s defended JB more than anyone.

The scary thing is a quarter of every roster in America feels they’re being screwed over or somebody else is being screwed over when it comes to pt. That’s how most 18-22 year olds deal with losing out to a better player. A high majority of the time the best players play. Just compare Mario and Manny’s starters.

Just because some players might believe something doesn’t mean it’s true or need’s to be made public. That’s why using players as sources can be risky. You’re using opinion as if it’s objective info.

This is lunacy and tbh I can’t believe it’s a thing. Totally irresponsible. None of this matters one way or the other when the top two qb’s are all but set. They’re the two best and by a large margin. Jmo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What's funny is how some have Reese as the starter next year and Nickel (if he sticks) starting after him. Then there's a bunch of you arguing who is on the depth chart between them.

There's nothing set past this year, this year isn't even set. If one or two of them leave, the odds of Nickel leapfrogging whoever is left is pretty low.

Waste of time and I've yet to read one single practice report or watch a video on it. **** hasn't mattered in 20 years. ****, this post doesn't matter, but it was something go do on the toilet.

What's funny is how some have Reese as the starter next year and Nickel (if he sticks) starting after him. Then there's a bunch of you arguing who is on the depth chart between them.

There's nothing set past this year, this year isn't even set. If one or two of them leave, the odds of Nickel leapfrogging whoever is left is pretty low.

Waste of time and I've yet to read one single practice report or watch a video on it. **** hasn't mattered in 20 years. ****, this post doesn't matter, but it was something go do on the toilet.
I do my best work on the toilet. That said who had Cam Ward as our qb last year ? lol.

Advertisement
I do my best work on the toilet. That said who had Cam Ward as our qb last year ? lol.
In the world of NIL and Portal, this may be our best strategy at QB. We haven’t had a QB drafted in 1st or 2end round since the 80s

This is an incorrect understanding of what “nothing” actually means. Gravity allows for both negative and positive energy, and given that the amount of matter and energy in the universe os a constant, you absolutely can get “something from nothing.” It’s a fundamental allowance of not only gravity but the first law of thermodynamics.

A
most porsters here don't understand one iota of what you said. i did and a few others did.

I've always been a Jacurri fan. IMO, his challenge now is that he is playing in an offense that's not built around him. He's the only true runner in the room and it's an Air Raid, so there aren't a lot of designed runs.
That and the fact he can’t hit a bull in the *** with two swats …..

Personally I'm not going to write a QB off based on his true freshman season he was never supposed to see action in, and the two programs he had to go against were Clemson and FSU lol. Especially when most of the compliments he gets are between the ears. He's absolutely the kind of QB that could end up starting his RS JR/SR year and not look out of place. Maybe he wouldn't be a stud, but could win games. .... or he could just never be good. TBD, but I'm not going to say Emory has no shot, like I'll say Jacurri has no shot. Doubtful maybe. I expect Poff to easily win the job next year, and I expect Nickel to be good. But who knows. May get a transfer for 2026...

Advertisement
Back