An honest question-does anyone still support Coach Golden?

I still think golden is the man for the job. And still support him 100%.. but donofrio has to go.

Advertisement
9-3 and a bowl win, and some sort of addition to the defensive staff, and i'm still on board... my expectation for this season was 8-4 9-3, do i like how we've lost thus far? no.. but i'm not going to go nuts because what i expected to happen is happening.. That said, i'm tired of us playing soft.

I expect us to go 0-12. Therefore, no problem when we go 0-12. People like you dont get to jump off the golden train. You get to follow it to don bosco.

Let's pretend you were a sensible person, and let's say you did expect us to go 0 - 12.. Would you then be mad when we lost all of our games?

9-3 and a bowl win, and some sort of addition to the defensive staff, and i'm still on board... my expectation for this season was 8-4 9-3, do i like how we've lost thus far? no.. but i'm not going to go nuts because what i expected to happen is happening.. That said, i'm tired of us playing soft.

I expect us to go 0-12. Therefore, no problem when we go 0-12. People like you dont get to jump off the golden train. You get to follow it to don bosco.

****** logic. Albortion has set the bar so low that I can't be upset when he keeps losing. Laughable isn't it?

It's not about setting the bar low, it's about setting realistic expectations for the team, starting a true fresh qb own its own is going to lead to a few losses, add to that the D, and it's silly to be like "we should be 11-1 because there's a U on the helmet". We're not there.

****** logic. Albortion has set the bar so low that I can't be upset when he keeps losing. Laughable isn't it?

It's not about setting the bar low, it's about setting realistic expectations for the team, starting a true fresh qb own its own is going to lead to a few losses, add to that the D, and it's silly to be like "we should be 11-1 because there's a U on the helmet". We're not there.

We're not there because 40% of Golden's recruits aren't here anymore.

Advertisement
4canes and bomb

Speaking for myself, I have serious issues with what's happening, but aside from my time on these boards it doesn't consume my life. I apologize that I don't get, foaming at the mouth and wishing death angry, on some college football coaches.

Some of you are like the people that get ****ed off over who the new Batman is, get a grip.

I don't care who the head coach is as long as he wins. if golden could change his scheme and replace the coaches that need to be replaced I would support him.

I don't care who the head coach is as long as he wins. if golden could change his scheme and replace the coaches that need to be replaced I would support him.

You don't think he would've tried that by now? It isn't going to happen.

Negged

I still think golden is the man for the job. And still support him 100%.. but donofrio has to go.

Please elaborate on why you think Golden is the man for the job.

Keep in mind that Donofrio is running Golden's defense.

Advertisement
I'd like to see what he can do with a new defensive coordinator.

I think Al Golden has a lot of positive qualities, and some negative ones. I'm not like a lot of you emotional types who see everything as either "baby jesus" or "hot garbage." There's a lot of gray area.

On the good side.... He's good with the media, good with boosters. He treats the kids well, his kids behave, he's a good "general manager" if you will. He's a good recruiter, and he hires good coaches (Fisch and Coley) when they aren't his friends. He's also shown that he's very loyal, and I do appreciate that he stuck with us and led us through the NCAA crap.

On the bad side.... He refuses to fire anybody. His loyalty to D'Onofrio is getting him in to some real hot water. He's bull-headed and he doesn't change or adapt to anything ever. I also don't think he's a very good gameday coach.

Do I think we can win with Al Golden? Yes, but not if he's left to do whatever he wants. He will NEVER fire D'Onofrio, it's not his personality to adapt and change. Someone above him.... the AD, the president, the boosters.... someone like that is going to have to make the decision FOR him that D'Onofrio needs to go and that we're going a different direction on defense.

Honestly, I won't lose sleep either way. If we keep Golden, I'll be alright with that AS LONG AS we get a new DC who is better. Dorito has already proven that he's not going to work out, I don't think there's anything left there to discuss. If we go get another coach, then I'd be alright with that as well..... long as it's someone good, and not yet another cheap "up and comer."

If this university cheaps out on us yet another time, I'm going to be highly disappointed.
The defense that you see on the field today is Golden's defense. It is what he wants to run. It is highly unlikely that Golden would allow another DC "free reign" to instill and execute their defense. Even on offense Golden tries to tamper with. I would be very skeptical of Al Golden and a different DC. We would likely see a lot of bickering between the two because once again the defense you see out there is Al's defense. Not necessarily just Onofrio's.

I am a lifelong Cane fan but not one that has ever lived in Miami ...but I think there are a lot more of us than you locals think. I am pretty frustrated with the results I've seen on the field but one thing I've always learned is that if you see a problem and want to comment you GOTTA provide some sort of tangible solution...so please throw out some realistic names of who you all think should replace him. And dont just say Nick Saban or some crap like that....realistic names...that will go a long way toward turning your "empty *****ing" into something people might be more willing to get onboard with.

He spent his first few years with an absolute horse**** roster and was constantly criticized for "missing on amazing local talent" and I think overall he has made big strides there. On that front, with the "cloud" overhead, I give him a good grade. That said, I'd support getting rid of Al Golden at this point because it just may be time. I think a lot of these local recruits would be coming here regardless of Al Golden so I don't think anything gets lost there either. I am not tuned into local FLA HS football so I don't know if you all think there are potential coaches there...are there? I know a lot of former Canes are running high level HS programs...should any of them be considered?

Butch Davis. If you bring him back we will finish in the top 10 in recruiting this year, and be in the ACC championship game next year. Keep this in mind as well, Butch never lost a Bowl game at Miami. Despite the loss of 31 (yes that's 31) scholarships in 3 years absolutely decimating the team (as close to the SMU sanctions as possible) he still finished 9-3 and won his bowl game in his 4th year. And he wants to come back to Miami, has said so several times in the last year.

If Al Golden was a decent human being and a competent football coach, he would've fired Donofrio after Miami finished 120th in total defense after the 2012 season.

That should've been a clue to me and everyone else that his relationship with Donofrio was more important than Miami football.

Randy Shannon fired Tim Walton after Miami finished 35th in total defense after the 2007 season. 35th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Golden is a great recruiter and thats why i like him but i dont like his coaching skills He is too systematic and talks about Numbers and stats too much. while it is important to see those numbers. you cant use that as a defensive argument. all that matter s W's-L's which is the number he pays the least amount of attention too. Offseason all he talk about is weight numbers during the season all he talks about is stats. stop trying to act like is University of Miami vs The Fans. We want to feel apart the team too. tell us what you tell the players about their play. stop hiding. stop defending and attack. stop getting mad people asking you the same questions because your not fixing nothing. He feels everyone is against them and being stubborn. we want to be for him but if he keeps shelling us out and not listening nobody will like him at all.

Advertisement
Golden is a great recruiter and thats why i like him but i dont like his coaching skills He is too systematic and talks about Numbers and stats too much. while it is important to see those numbers. you cant use that as a defensive argument. all that matter s W's-L's which is the number he pays the least amount of attention too. Offseason all he talk about is weight numbers during the season all he talks about is stats. stop trying to act like is University of Miami vs The Fans. We want to feel apart the team too. tell us what you tell the players about their play. stop hiding. stop defending and attack. stop getting mad people asking you the same questions because your not fixing nothing. He feels everyone is against them and being stubborn. we want to be for him but if he keeps shelling us out and not listening nobody will like him at all.

Golden is not a great recruiter.

Golden is not a great recruiter.

+1 half of Golden's recruits are nobodies 2/3 stars ….if Golden was a good recruiter he have a better team by year 4

Tim Reynolds @ByTimReynolds · 5h

Miami allowed 200 points in its first 11 ACC games. It has allowed 379 in its last 11 ACC games.

Advertisement
Not trolling here, but after reading all of the Cane boards, it seems that there is nearly 100% agreement that he needs to go. I was holding out hope, even after watching the Champs Bowl live, but he lost me after the Louisville game this season. So, if you still support Coach Golden speak up and tell us why we are wrong.

PS a rep for every honest answer

He lost me after the UNC game last year

I had resolved to hang on through this season, but after Nebraska and the crap he and D'No had to say this week, I don't think I can do it anymore.

Let's pretend you were a sensible person, and let's say you did expect us to go 0 - 12.. Would you then be mad when we lost all of our games?

You might be the dumbest person on this board, no joke.

Advertisement
Back