Amari Cooper

Cooper is a receiver. His biggest strength is route running. As far as our current WR committs are concerned, he is by far the most polished, doesn't mean he has the most upside, though.

*edit* forgot about malcolm lewis. Still think Cooper is more polished route runner, but not by far.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cooper is a receiver. His biggest strength is route running. As far as our current WR committs are concerned, he is by far the most polished, doesn't mean he has the most upside, though.

*edit* forgot about malcolm lewis. Still think Cooper is more polished route runner, but not by far.

I would like to see some evidence of this route running. I don't mean that in a bad way. There's a ton of video on him. Just point me to a video and a handful of spots on the video.

I would like to see some evidence of this route running. I don't mean that in a bad way. There's a ton of video on him. Just point me to a video and a handful of spots on the video.

On top of his Jr and Sr highlight tapes, check out the tape from miami nike camp, ESS scouting combine, and whatever 1 on 1's you can find. I cancelled my subscription to rivals so don't have access to some of those videos anymore.

Advertisement
looks like a WR to me too. if anything I could see them trying that Lockhart kid at S (assuming he signs)

Most of those camp settings 1-1s and 7-7s are basically playground football. I wouldn't judge a recruit's ability to run routes based off of that.

On top of his Jr and Sr highlight tapes, check out the tape from miami nike camp, ESS scouting combine, and whatever 1 on 1's you can find. I cancelled my subscription to rivals so don't have access to some of those videos anymore.

Most of those camp settings 1-1s and 7-7s are basically playground football. I wouldn't judge a recruit's ability to run routes based off of that.

This was going to be my response. I agree. In his game highlights, I do see where he runs mostly two patterns: quick in and go route. He probably doesn't need to do anything else. I do credit him with a nice jab step to beat press coverage.

I like him as a SS more than I like him as a WR.

This was going to be my response. I agree. In his game highlights, I do see where he runs mostly two patterns: quick in and go route. He probably doesn't need to do anything else. I do credit him with a nice jab step to beat press coverage.

Lol, I asked Mike on scout about him as a safety....basically said he's the best WR in the state, and is a WR.

Advertisement
I agree with Mike... A he runs quite a few post and corner routes in his film... The problem with his film is unless he's running the short routes you dont see what route he's running you just see him catching the ball at the end... This kid is the most fundamentally sound wideout out there... As for his camp highlights, he's the only one using fundamentals when he's playing... One thing I really like about this kid, that no other wideout in our class does well is beat the jam... You dont see to many high school players coming in knowing how to beat the jam, but this kid does... His jab step is also a great attribute because he's not a burner but he still finds away to get separation from using his jab step... His jab step and knowledge of beating the jam is two key attributes for any wideout, especially in the college game if you're expecting your freshmen to contribute right away... I'm not dogging any of our wideouts because all of them are good but they are raw... This is kid is probably the most fundamentally ready wideout in the state...

Lol, I asked Mike on scout about him as a safety....basically said he's the best WR in the state, and is a WR.

Guess we shall see. I've never said he'd bust. I just think he may have more upside on the other side of the ball. I'll once again take any counter examples. I'm here to learn.

I agree with Mike... A he runs quite a few post and corner routes in his film... The problem with his film is unless he's running the short routes you dont see what route he's running you just see him catching the ball at the end... This kid is the most fundamentally sound wideout out there... As for his camp highlights, he's the only one using fundamentals when he's playing... One thing I really like about this kid, that no other wideout in our class does well is beat the jam... You dont see to many high school players coming in knowing how to beat the jam, but this kid does... His jab step is also a great attribute because he's not a burner but he still finds away to get separation from using his jab step... His jab step and knowledge of beating the jam is two key attributes for any wideout, especially in the college game if you're expecting your freshmen to contribute right away... I'm not dogging any of our wideouts because all of them are good but they are raw... This is kid is probably the most fundamentally ready wideout in the state...

The corner routes he runs in his film are questionable at best. If that's the evidence, I'm calling it way into question. Take a closer look. He basically drifts into the corner. Kendall Thompkins ran sharper corner routes. It's become something where it seems like I'm hating on the kid, but in reality I'm asking people to show me in evidence the stuff they've started to accept as gospel and repeat across all boards. The funny thing is these are some of the same arguments I made in question of Aldarius Johnson. I was told "he'll be in the L in 3 years." He may have actually had a chance at the L, but he wasn't the level of WR many projected him to be. Cooper is being made into Julio Jones, basically.

As for not being able to see the route he runs, come on, Lauder. Look at the plays. You think he's running a double move and ends up in a straight line when the QB is generally just launching (sometimes on 3 steps) the ball?

I've repeatedly stated he's a talented kid that probably doesn't have to do very much at the HS level to beat the guy (or entire coverage) in front of him. I think this is an issue of "degree of good."

Let's be clear here. What are we all saying? Some are talking of him as the "clear" best WR in the state.

My role here is to question that claim, ask for evidence and state my opinion: he rounds a lot of his cuts, does not accelerate through his breaks (big sign of potential issues as he gets closer to athletes of his level) and generally uses limited routes to be productive (see explanation about not needing more above).

Advertisement
Cooper won the fastest man awards at one of our summer camps. THat was the same camp that BJ Knauf the "white lightning" was at, and some kid from Tennessee i think.

Plus, he's like 6'2 and 200 lbs.

The corner routes he runs in his film are questionable at best. If that's the evidence, I'm calling it way into question. Take a closer look. He basically drifts into the corner. Kendall Thompkins ran sharper corner routes. It's become something where it seems like I'm hating on the kid, but in reality I'm asking people to show me in evidence the stuff they've started to accept as gospel and repeat across all boards. The funny thing is these are some of the same arguments I made in question of Aldarius Johnson. I was told "he'll be in the L in 3 years." He may have actually had a chance at the L, but he wasn't the level of WR many projected him to be. Cooper is being made into Julio Jones, basically.

As for not being able to see the route he runs, come on, Lauder. Look at the plays. You think he's running a double move and ends up in a straight line when the QB is generally just launching (sometimes on 3 steps) the ball?

I've repeatedly stated he's a talented kid that probably doesn't have to do very much at the HS level to beat the guy (or entire coverage) in front of him. I think this is an issue of "degree of good."

Let's be clear here. What are we all saying? Some are talking of him as the "clear" best WR in the state.

My role here is to question that claim, ask for evidence and state my opinion: he rounds a lot of his cuts, does not accelerate through his breaks (big sign of potential issues as he gets closer to athletes of his level) and generally uses limited routes to be productive (see explanation about not needing more above).

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree... I think you're selling him short... We'll see... I think he possess two important attributes that none of our wideouts possess... His jab step and his ability to beat a jam... You cant ignore the importance of those two things... And as far as his route running I have seen post routes, corner routes, slants fades, comebacks and drags... I think you're being picky... One thing I did notice is that he knows how to find holes in the opposing teams zone D... I'm not just talking... Its not like every clip is him going deep... The kid is the most fundamentally sound wideout that we are recruiting... I've seen the tapes of the other wideouts and although they are talented... You can tell that they are just out athleting their opponents... This kid can do the same but he isnt...

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree... I think you're selling him short... We'll see... I think he possess two important attributes that none of our wideouts possess... His jab step and his ability to beat a jam... You cant ignore the importance of those two things... And as far as his route running I have seen post routes, corner routes, slants fades, comebacks and drags... I think you're being picky... One thing I did notice is that he knows how to find holes in the opposing teams zone D... I'm not just talking... Its not like every clip is him going deep... The kid is the most fundamentally sound wideout that we are recruiting... I've seen the tapes of the other wideouts and although they are talented... You can tell that they are just out athleting their opponents... This kid can do the same but he isnt...

Advertisement
1 on 1's obviously aren't the only thing to judge on, but it tells a lot about separation and ability to explode in and out of cuts. And the kids who dominate in 1 on 1's usually see a good amount of translated success.

Fair enough. I don't see him as good in and out of his breaks as some of the other "top WR in Florida" candidates over the years. If anything, that's telling me it's a down year in Florida.

Advertisement
Back