Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

I'm going to apply this response to @TheOriginalCane said as well. Rather it was Vilma, Kirk, or even Sabastian, this sounds like a collective effort for major change. Everyone involved deserves a pat of the back. My point was to recognize the moment "I" was put on notice...and that was when Herbie was on my TV that morning blasting the organization. Not to take anything away from Vilma, but I heard Herbie that morning saying the same things we all thought. Vilma is a alum, so he doesn't need an honorary degree.(lol) Dude will always be a UM legend. I mean, I would give props to Ted Cruz if he went on national television and stood up for something I agreed with him on. And he's about a cvck as it gets!

It's all good man, I'm really not "mad" at anyone, but I am just going to be very consistent in pointing out that Herbstreit should not be venerated as a UM god.

I respect that Herbstreit's words had an impact. But some people who give Herbstreit so much credit overlook that (a) UM was already moving towards certain changes, and (b) much of Herbstreit's info was "inside information" that he would not have known about if not for Vilma telling him about it.

That's all. Let's find a good compromise. If I ever see Herbstreit in public, I'll throw up the U and a thumbs up, and maybe even a double six-gun "shooting" hand motion as well. But I'm not crowning him or venerating him or asking for a statue on campus.

Nice guy. But Kirk's a Buckeye. And it was his job to report/comment on things in the college sports world, it's not like he was some movie star who wrote a scene in his next sci-fi action movie that made fun of UM football for not caring enough anymore.

Also, I would think that Canes fans would WANT to give Jonathan Vilma the thanks and credit that he is due.

Advertisement
Here's my problem with this theory - what was Plan B?

If Cristobal beats Utah, goes to the Playoffs and has a change of heart - what's Plan B?

Everything we're seeing happening now is happening because of Cristobal and his connects. What happens if he says no?

Plan B: Hire AD. Let AD fire Manny and let AD hire replacement. Whether we would go the USC route (kick the can down the road a year because of timing) is another issue altogether.

Also, and I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble here, but the "if he says no" had already gone well past that point. If there HAD been a reversal, it was going to be far worse than when Mario quit on Golden to take the job with Saban.

As for the theory of "coach goes to the playoffs with his current team, why would he take another job?", I would simply point out that TWO other coaches left very good jobs a few months ago to do the very same thing, and it wasn't even to go coach at "alma mater" (Riley and Kelly).

"As general manager of football operations, Highsmith willwork directly with Cristobal to support all administrative functions of the football program, including budget related items, culture building, program imaging, and working directly with staff members both on and off the field. He will also serve as a liaison between the administration and football program, serve as a liaison between former Miami players and staff, assist with scouting and roster assessment and supervise NFL relations."

I wouldn't overthink this. Sometimes a duck is a duck.
Well ducks are delicious so what are you saying exactly.

Advertisement
Manny was 100% gone after the the first several games, before FSU. Yet people keep spouting this narrative so they can either suck off 4-14/FSU or Herbie.

I’m not an insider and I never claimed to be nor do I front like that, but I’m around some of the big decision makers from time to time, they were so freaking unhappy after Michigan state I knew that Manny was done then. Here’s a picture from early November, before the FSU game, where I overheard a conversation, with Frank and someone who I know so I won’t mention their name so I blacked him out but it was funny because Frenk kept covering his mouth but I could hear what he was saying

View attachment 187223
Watching Zac Efron GIF by Baywatch Movie

All I see is this;

200.gif

Zo is next level. The attention to detail in coral gables is at an all time high right now. #7, I mean 6 is on the way 🥲
Canesallday....................You are right........7 is on the way in 2023-2024....my guess is our Coaches have got to season these guys, and get them ready for the heat.
With Zo and Mario, they are going to have to be ready for some serious hot stuff, and I don't mean pepper.........W's are coming...

Last edited:
Interview with Zo and ferman recorded today|

Ferman is no longer gonna be the laughing stock of Canes reporting anymore. I'm actually happy about that in a weird way. As much as we rag on him, a good redemption story to the top of Canes reporting (Jon Gruden) is well fitting for him.

Good interview, btw

Advertisement
Interview with Zo and ferman recorded today|

1st, thanks for posting. 2nd, I’m not a very sentimental type, but this legit almost brought tears to my eyes. We’ve been in this dark place for so long, looking for anything, any sign that this darkness would cease. Hearing Zo speak w/ so much professionalism while encompassing enthusiasm is outstanding.

I wanted to touch on something he said that may have been missed; he said when The Pittsburgh Steelers “recruit.” That wasn’t a slippage of the tongue. I’ve never been an insider, nor do I ever want to be classified as one, but I’ve been blessed to have the gift of gab, & w/ that gift I’ve met some amazing ppl in passing just off general conversations. Being w/ an ex whose father is a 4x SB winner u meet ppl, & some of the folks I’ve met have been in the front office of NFL teams. We talked scouting & draft process, I’ve seen big boards & thoughts behind it. Drafting is indeed recruiting. You have interviews, highlight films, game films, workout films, character evals, etc. etc. Once a culture has been established (i.e Bears - Defense, KC - offense, Baltimore - defense, running, etc), u’re draft board is going to be centered around that fit.

With Zo being in that spectrum, plus a former top 3 NFL pick himself, his eyes r valuable. His knowledge of what NFL teams r looking for is priceless. He truly can help young men grasp, not only the playing side, but what it takes to be a NFL player for a long career.

I was just on the phone w/ one of my homegirls (who I reaaaaaaally wish wasn’t married, lol) & her brother played ball at Wyoming b4 getting drafted. I haven’t talked to him in a min, so I checked up on him. He got injured & is on NFL disability compensation. I reached out to him to see what was what. He’s not going to play again, but b/c of how he conducted himself, how he handled things, a personnel opportunity w/ a NFL team just opened up b/c he stayed professional. These r the things Zo can instill in these young men, how to be great while in uniform, but also, what it means to be a true professional.

Man, I take real pride being a Hurricanes fan; I’m happy for myself, but I’m more happy for alums & fans who saw the rise of the program & have endured a desecration to their Alma Mater. I liked how Zo tempered 1st yr expectations, so I’m going to sit back & enjoy w/e I see yr 1, knowing it’s a building block. Also, last thought…if u notice Zo mentioned Bama a few times. Listen, just b/c some of us have mentioned Bama as a standard doesn’t mean it’s dyck riding; it’s a fact. It’s no different than MJ trying to knock off Bird then Zeke or The Red Sox trying to knock off The Yankees. When u’re at the top for a while, u become a standard for that period. We were the standard for our time, & we’ll become The Standard again.

Last edited:
Manny was 100% gone after the the first several games, before FSU. Yet people keep spouting this narrative so they can either suck off 4-14/FSU or Herbie.

I’m not an insider and I never claimed to be nor do I front like that, but I’m around some of the big decision makers from time to time, they were so freaking unhappy after Michigan state I knew that Manny was done then. Here’s a picture from early November, before the FSU game, where I overheard a conversation, with Frank and someone who I know so I won’t mention their name so I blacked him out but it was funny because Frenk kept covering his mouth but I could hear what he was saying

View attachment 187223

Even if that was the talk, I still think Diaz Sr and his cronies on the BOT would have found a way to save Diaz's job for one more year. For example, whether Diaz stayed or left, the Mas bros still wanted to build a soccer stadium. Diaz Sr still has friends on the county commission, zoning board, etc. He could have made it impossible for the Mas bros to find a stadium site unless they gave his boy one last chance. I don't believe Mario would have ignored UM and Ruiz if they knocked on his door after the 2022 season, especially with Lincoln Riley jumping into his conference and likely pinching a few recruits that Mario wanted.

Advertisement
Even if that was the talk, I still think Diaz Sr and his cronies on the BOT would have found a way to save Diaz's job for one more year. For example, whether Diaz stayed or left, the Mas bros still wanted to build a soccer stadium. Diaz Sr still has friends on the county commission, zoning board, etc. He could have made it impossible for the Mas bros to find a stadium site unless they gave his boy one last chance. I don't believe Mario would have ignored UM and Ruiz if they knocked on his door after the 2022 season, especially with Lincoln Riley jumping into his conference and likely pinching a few recruits that Mario wanted.

Nah. Jose was just put on the BOT two years ago. There was plenty of BOT support for firing Manny, no way was Diaz Sr. going to target Jose on something that was much bigger than Jose.

And the UM BOT gave Diaz Sr. what he wanted, an "honorable end" to Manny's tenure that allowed him to land on his feet at Ped State.

Advertisement
Here's my problem with this theory - what was Plan B?

If Cristobal beats Utah, goes to the Playoffs and has a change of heart - what's Plan B?

Everything we're seeing happening now is happening because of Cristobal and his connects. What happens if he says no?

Who knows? I don’t exactly like hypotheticals. What happens if we are attacked by aliens?

By the way it’s not a theory it’s a fact. Reinvestment in football was coming no matter what, and Manny was history.

It would’ve taken an incredible number of rejections and circumstances for Manny to have squeezed out one more year, it would’ve been extremely unlikely. But there was a general sense early on, that I wasn’t even aware of at the time but found out later, that Mario was going to take the job.

There was a time early in the season last year when I thought that was little chance of Mario coming, because I didn’t know where the money was going to come from, I mean we all knew there was going to be a recomitment to football - there there was a lot of talk about that, but there was even more that I didn’t know - like people like Ruiz and the Mas brothers stepping up and the willingness to use internal funds and profits from other divisions

All the power people and decision makers were 100% done with Manny though, before the season was over. He was a dead man walking no matter who the next coach was.

Who knows? I don’t exactly like hypotheticals. What happens if we are attacked by aliens?

By the way it’s not a theory it’s a fact. Reinvestment in football was coming no matter what, and Manny was history.

It would’ve taken an incredible number of rejections and circumstances for Manny to have squeezed out one more year, it would’ve been extremely unlikely. But there was a general sense early on, that I wasn’t even aware of at the time but found out later, that Mario was going to take the job.

There was a time early in the season last year when I thought that was little chance of Mario coming, because I didn’t know where the money was going to come from, I mean we all knew there was going to be a recomitment to football - there there was a lot of talk about that, but there was even more that I didn’t know - like people like Ruiz and the Mas brothers stepping up and the willingness to use internal funds and profits from other divisions

All the power people and decision makers were 100% done with Manny though, before the season was over. He was a dead man walking no matter who the next coach was.

Oh yeah I also forgot to say that Blake was a done deal also. I was sure of that before I even was sure that Manny was being fired. There was just too much smoke around Blake. I mean like back in the summer it was almost certain he was going to be gone.

Advertisement
Back