Confirmed Alonzo Highsmith (joining Miami staff, 5.25 update)

Advertisement
lord have mercy GIF
Jesus Christ! Cheeks R’ US! Man I’m IN LOVE WIT FEMALE CHEEKS! I love me sun big (FEMALE) Cheeks

Nah. Jose was just put on the BOT two years ago. There was plenty of BOT support for firing Manny, no way was Diaz Sr. going to target Jose on something that was much bigger than Jose.

And the UM BOT gave Diaz Sr. what he wanted, an "honorable end" to Manny's tenure that allowed him to land on his feet at Ped State.
TOC - I have a question:

Did Manny go rogue on the plan when he went on social media crying about how he was treated during the process in the end?

What was that all about based on you and others have put out in terms of info?

Advertisement
TOC - I have a question:

Did Manny go rogue on the plan when he went on social media crying about how he was treated during the process in the end?

No inside knowledge on what happened but I think that was purely self-preservation. I think any person in any profession that was fired and there is a public perception of their incompetence (regardless of how true it might be) will stand up for themselves and make every excuse in the book for why they couldn’t get it done.

It’s the smart thing to do. Other people’s perception can easily become your reality if you don’t offer a different (whether true or not) opinion. Manny is/was many things but dumb he is not. He was simply way in over his head and too head strong to bet on anyone/thing other than himself.

Columbus Mafia strikes again and now sit at the head of the five families this cosa nostra.

The Explorers Empire executed Order 66 and the takeover of UM is complete, now we set our sights onto the college football galaxy.

That’s right! I love The Godfather (except the abomination that is #3, the film that shall not be named) and Star Wars too deal with it lol

You can rationalize anything with ifs.
Frenk had the balls to cuss out the AD at a home game in front of fans.
Don’t let dudes that are in power fool you cause of the way they look or talk.
You don’t get to be president of universities or any big corporation by being a pussie.
Manny was gone before most on here even knew it.
The OBB boys said that happen.

Other’s shot it down. Since Blake is gone and water under the bridge in everything else, did that really happen?

When that was first brought up, I said that I sided in believing Roman’s story regarding that situation.

Advertisement
TOC - I have a question:

Nah, I don't think it was going rogue, as much as it was just a pride reflex. Say what we will about the horrible first 6 games, we did win 5 out of 6 at the end, so I understand him wanting to take pride in a strong finish. Now, if Manny had pulled an "Uncle Luke" at the end and threatened to tell everyone that we had a verbal agreement with Mario since September...now THAT would have been going rogue.

I think Manny wanted to establish a bit of pride for himself and his assistants in a bit of a turnaround. But then again, if he doesn't go 2-4 in the first half, and if he doesn't get ZERO-POINT-ZERO verbals during the season, then maybe his "we just need to keep stacking recruits" spiel gains some traction.

But we have eyes. We saw poor preparation, poor execution, ongoing mental mistakes, stupid penalties, lack of discipline, lack of accountability, one of the worst tackling stats in Division I, etc. etc. etc. And those are just the on-field things. Add to that Manny's rejection of a helping hand (Alonzo, a DC) and all of the other things we have heard about behind the scenes (lack of tackling in practice, letting the upperclassmen off easy, a skewed favoritism towards seniority, etc. etc. etc.)...

Manny's not an evil guy. But he never coached under JJ or Butch or Saban or anyone else who imparted to him a strict and specific way of building a championship program. The closest he came was at Texas, and Mack fired him, right? The guys who have truly disappointed me are Coker and Shannon, because they should have known better, they coached under some championship (or ****-near-championship) coaches. But it's hard to expect greatness from Golden or Diaz.

Ultimately, I think Manny was reeled back in on his Crying Tour. I think people reminded him about what they plan was, and how much better off he'd be (financially, and future job-wise) if he didn't act like a *****.

At the end of the day, I think Manny felt a slight sting...he should have taken some advice from the wise Marcellus Wallace...

PS - PIPO - I absolutely LOVE the new avatar...and he's a UM alum to boot! Used to take friends to the "chainsaw scene" hotel on Miami Beach all the time, Scarface is one of my all-time favorites...

And one of these days my guy @RVACane is going to start putting my dog avatar into some of his amazing GIFs...

Advertisement
That’s right! I love The Godfather (except the abomination that is #3, the film that shall not be named) and Star Wars too deal with it lol

Maaaaan, Godfather 3 got fvcked up by some horrible casting. Would have been sooooo much better with Bobby D coming back as Tom instead of George Hamilton and with Winona Ryder instead of Sofia Coppola. They also should have hired a much better actor to play Anthony Corleone. I don't hate Bridget Fonda in this movie, but her character didn't mesh. You should never have major Godfather characters with names like "BJ Harrison" and "Grace Hamilton". Sorry.

And, yes, the script itself could have been tightened. Garcia was great, Mantegna was great, Wallach was great. Coppola should have expanded the mob conflict with Joey Zaza's family and the shady role played by Altobello, and de-emphasized the Vatican stuff to be more "historical background", similar to the way that characters from "the Senate hearings" were not major characters in Godfather 2, they just kept the main "mob" stories humming along.

They did a good job with the animated series this year

Absolute truth. When I was a kid, I read all Marvel, but I only had enough allowance money to buy my favorite books - Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Avengers (and look what are the most popular movies today!).

The issue of What If? that blew my mind was the one about "What If Peter Parker Caught Gwen Stacy and Saved Her Life Instead of Shooting His Web and Breaking Her Neck?" LOVED that comic.

Advertisement
If Manny had ended the season 8-4 and lets say hypothetically won the bowl game..if his father had as much pull as people are saying he did..you would have been hard pressed to find anyone who would have bet that Manny would have been fired. thats a 6-7 game win streak and I think we would have made it to the ACC title game too.

Would he have still been fired? I would have bet on it, especially if Mario gave us the "its now or never" ultimatum which im sure he would have. And its not uncommon. Nebraska fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season in 2003 and two years removed from playing for the national title, so it absolutely happens.

My point is, posters are making it seem like it Manny was gone once we started out 2-4 even if we had saved the season and won the ACC title. Like there was nothing he could have done. I dont know if I buy that. But thats just me. But I digress. Time to move on from Manny.
After that start to the season, with the very real threat of Mario waiting in the wings, Manny was a “dead man, corching”! To paraphrase what @Cribby said, months ago…”Manny could have found the cure for cancer, and it wasn’t enough to save his job” Even his daddy couldn’t save him.

Advertisement
Back