Alonzo Highsmith is going to be vital to the rebuild

The Rock Shut Up GIF

Such an unnecessary point to make

Yes sir let me get right back to toeing the company line.

Advertisement
I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t even sweat it if Zo did leave. Most importantly the position is created. Zo isn’t the only qualified individual to hold it.

No, I don’t want him to leave and this isn’t any shot at him.

Be careful what you wish for…

This place is so uptight about their Miami guys, and I love Zo as well but he’s not the only person in the world that can do the job well. The biggest step forward for us was bringing ourselves the the modern age opening the position to begin with.

(Thinking aloud, not directed at you)

Agreed. I think we share the same concern…the position has been created, which we perceive to be a modernization of the program. If Zo leaves, does the position stay and open, and if it does, is the search a complete one or a “Requirements: Miami Guy” search

Advertisement
I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t even sweat it if Zo did leave. Most importantly the position is created. Zo isn’t the only qualified individual to hold it.

No, I don’t want him to leave and this isn’t any shot at him.
I can both agree with this in principle and then disavow it due to lack of confidence that a qualified individual would be hired.

I do not believe Zo would leave after one year, as hard as he lobbied for this role over the last several years, and I’m one of the Four Mopesmen.

Agreed. I think we share the same concern…the position has been created, which we perceive to be a modernization of the program. If Zo leaves, does the position stay and open, and if it does, is the search a complete one or a “Requirements: Miami Guy” search

Yeah most here scream “NO a Miami guy again and no search?” then at the possibility of said individual leaving comes up it’s “NOOO we don’t have another Miami bro to replace him”.

I would be more worried about the position closing if Mario and Rad were not here. For all his flaws, Mario still knows what it’ll take to get back and Rad certainly does. I don’t believe they let it slide. Manny or a similar HC might.

I can both agree with this in principle and then disavow it due to lack of confidence that a qualified individual would be hired.

I do not believe Zo would leave after one year, as hard as he lobbied for this role over the last several years, and I’m one of the Four Mopesmen.

I’m less worried about adequately searching and filling a position like this with Rad here. But I completely understand your point. I would be concerned if we still had Blake and Co.

Advertisement
This place is so uptight about their Miami guys, and I love Zo as well but he’s not the only person in the world that can do the job well. The biggest step forward for us was bringing ourselves the the modern age opening the position to begin with.

(Thinking aloud, not directed at you)

No offense amigo, but nah. Zo is WAY overqualified for what he does here and what his position is here, and is only here because of his love for the U. You will not be able to find a replacement with his stature, experience, and skill, which is why there isn't another program in CFB with someone with his resume.

We are literally fighting off NFL VP offers for him. Do you understand how much more attractive and significant an NFL VP job is than what he has here? You are talking about being a VP of Football at a multi-billion dollar organization in the National Football League. The only competitive position on a college campus to NFL VP is AD.

The only thing we ever need to say about Zo is "thank you."

I’m less worried about adequately searching and filling a position like this with Rad here. But I completely understand your point. I would be concerned if we still had Blake and Co.
Of course the position would never exist to begin with if Blake was still here. He fought tooth and nail to prevent it from happening when he was here.

No offense amigo, but nah. Zo is WAY overqualified for what he does here and what his position is here, and is only here because of his love for the U. You will not be able to find a replacement with his stature, experience, and skill, which is why there isn't another program in CFB with someone with his resume.

We are literally fighting off NFL VP offers for him. Do you understand how much more attractive and significant an NFL VP job is than what he has here? You are talking about being a VP of Football at a multi-billion dollar organization in the National Football League. The only competitive position on a college campus to NFL VP is AD.

Yes but once you turn 50 and kids are out of the house, quality of life becomes much more important than making money, and he can build/leave a bigger legacy at UM.

Yes but once you turn 50 and kids are out of the house, quality of life becomes much more important than making money, and he can build/leave a bigger legacy at UM.

All true amigo, but the topic I responded to was about replacing Zo if he does leave. He's relatively irreplaceable. You won't be able to bring in someone with anywhere neat his CV. They don't exist in CFB.

Advertisement
Honestly this has to be a very comfy well paid gig for highsmith with no risk of being shown the door for many years. So unless him, mario, rad dont get along (doubt it) or NFL is offering him ridiculous more money, not sure why he would leave.

I understand your logic. I simply don't know what Zo felt his options and opportunities were then and what he thinks they are now. Nor do I know if his NFL trajectory remained the same if he stayed in this role at Miami.

Many of us left a good job for what we perceived as a better opportunity, even when we felt real pull to stay. I'd have to understand a lot more to get this to ZO LEAVING = RED FLAG status. And we'll probably never know, whatever happens.
The " left a good job part" ..............ask Butch D...case in point..a perceived "better opportunity" called the NFL opened up, but his biggest regret.......well we all know....
Not saying this is the same or similar circumstances, but considering........ is weighing options, not accepting the offer............

Excited Lets Go GIF

To summarize, BJ hears something, has Highsmith mulling over a tough decision, yet no indication he attempted to contact AH for a comment or corroborate/confirm anything, he just throws it out on social media smh.
BJ is
Im So Stupid Hillary Clinton GIF by Saturday Night Live
trolls the internet for material and runs with info like he dug for it.......
loop dig GIF

Advertisement

All of this can be true and my opinion still be valid. They aren’t mutually exclusive. He’s definitely overqualified but that doesn’t mean somebody with less experience is any worse or significantly worse than him in evaluating talent.

Last edited:

episode 18 GIF

Mario having sole responsibility for player evals?
Awkward Bye Bye GIF

Highsmith is the reason that I haven't complained (much) about the 3 star specials that Cristobal has landed. I trust a former NFL Assistant GM knows what traits to look for in high school recruits and will be able to find underrated players. If Cristobal is going to be doing those evals on his own, that's not good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back