Alonzo Highsmith is going to be vital to the rebuild

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
It’s pretty obvious Mario is going to have to go full Mel Tucker, Lincoln Reilly, Chip Kelly and bring in 20+ transfers in addition to the recruiting class. This should play to Zo’s strengths. NFL teams are so much more thorough in terms of identifying under the radar talent. Having someone with that experience will be a big advantage- just the process and organization to scout these guys.

Advertisement
It’s pretty obvious Mario is going to have to go full Mel Tucker, Lincoln Reilly, Chip Kelly and bring in 20+ transfers in addition to the recruiting class. This should play to Zo’s strengths. NFL teams are so much more thorough in terms of identifying under the radar talent. Having someone with that experience will be a big advantage- just the process and organization to scout these guys.
I said that elsewhere, this is Zo’s first cycle to evaluate talent.

Currently, the most important non-Mario roles in the rebuild of this program:

1) The person who influences Mario's offensive philosophy
2) The person who helps Mario with hiring/firing

*If he doesn't have anyone explicitly helping him evaluate hires/terminations, then that's part of the problem.

Advertisement
Nothing suggests Mario will purge the roster and will kick alot of these kids off the team.

Alot of people are saying this will happen and he'll have to hit the portal hard to bring in 20+ guys but there are no indicators that this will happen.

He didn't kick kids off the team when he showed up, after spring, after fall, now, and he keeps playing guys who don't perform.

I'm hopeful there's an exodus, but honestly I don't see him forcing kids out. At this point, I can see talented kids leaving this BS and the non-contributors and problem causers to stay.

Hope I'm wrong.

I don’t care if Mario has an open try out tomorrow. Play the cheerleaders, get some intramural studs or the band. These kids have no loyalty to the U. They care less about 5 previous championships or the brand.

Advertisement
Kids like Young and Cooper are what give me hope that in addition to recruiting high profile players, that we're doing a better job evaluating. Portal too.

Need the same evaluating when it comes to the coaching staff as Lu mentioned. Fingers crossed that Zo has the input that's badly needed.

Yet another dinosaur Miami bro tasked with bringing us back in a different time with kids that are just different. Zero coaching experience and minimal experience in an office at the NFL level. He just gets it, right?
I think Zo had been in the NFL for over 10 years.

Not sure what that means at the college level though.

I guess we’ll see.

What gets lost in that statement and its cliche to say but the players have to football guys. They have to love the process of the grind. You can be talented but if your mind isn't stuck on "grind" then we will be right back to where we are.

Advertisement
I have a high opinion of Alonzo Highsmith and Ed Reed, their contributions to the program are undeniable. But right now, I see no contributions being made to the program, it's just a colossal waste of money. But hey, it's UM's money.

Alonzo Highsmith is going to vital to the rebuild​

pnzJTq3.gif

Advertisement
We shall see won't we.

With that said, MASSIVE difference in talent evaluation/acquisition between CFB and NFL.

Appreciate the thread, OP. It's much more original than what we have had these last few weeks.

Advertisement
Back