Allison transferring

Not sure what all the hate is about. It's not his fault he committed to a pro

This^^

The narrative of Richt not "liking" Allison and the 'new RPO system' Richt is installing is bunk. This is about accuracy 1st and mobility a distant second. Richt coached "a statue" in Chris Weinke to a Heisman, and also coached a more mobile Charlie Ward to Heisman as well. The QB must be accurate in Richt's system and thus far these QBs haven't been accurate enough to get the job done. This IMO, in addition to the Oline deficiencies, has a lot to do with why Richt is adding RPO looks to his Pro Style offense. It's a matter of versatility and doing what it takes to win.

Advertisement
This child's throwy ball career is solely for my viewing pleasure. He should fill my depth charts like a flowing vat of the finest spiced mead.

How dare he muster the gall from the depths of sairon to give himself a fresh start and make informed decisions about the direction of his life.

His life is worth little more than the comfort I derive on twelve saturdays a year knowing my free labored entertainment vessel is filled with the finest children to compete for the sake of winning me money.

To this I say good sir, and shall you never experience the happiness and fortune of fulfillment, as you have deprived me of potential future three team parlays.

The kid wasn't ready to accept a backup roll like Rosier and Sheriffs have already done. I don't blame him for wanting to be the number one. I think he would have competed if the writing wasn't on the wall. Richt wants Perry! Good luck to Jack unless he goes to UFag

Do y'all think Richt should've went after a Grad Transfer QB?

Maybe he really believes in Shirreffs/Rosier...

At this point, I don't think he's gonna give Perry the job, Richt is making it seem like he's leaving the door open, but to me it appears he's already made his decision.

At this point, I don't think he's gonna give Perry the job, Richt is making it seem like he's leaving the door open, but to me it appears he's already made his decision.

At this point, Rosier and Shirreffs are the knowns -- at least on the practice field. But Perry remains the unknown, a tantalizing prospect with physical gifts that set him apart from every quarterback on the roster.

"He may pick everything up and be a natural and be the guy, or he might not be ready for this moment yet and maybe we can get him in here and there, maybe he has to redshirt," Richt said. "I wish he would have been here this spring, because I’d know a lot more about the quarterbacks."

Waiting until summer to get a better idea is not ideal, but Richt and his staff believe Perry could be worth the wait. Ranked No. 84 on the ESPN 300 for the class of 2017, Richt describes Perry as "super athletic. He has tremendous arm talent. There’s passers and there’s throwers. He’s got nice touch, but if he has to zing it, he can zing it as good as anybody. He’s got arm talent, and in high school people had a hard time tackling the guy."

But there also are the caveats. At 6-foot-3, Perry weighed 175 pounds in high school. Miami already has asked him to start putting on weight before he gets to campus. Richt said Perry sometimes will take a photograph of a meal he is eating and send it to prove that he is trying to put on pounds; he is up to about 180.

Once he officially joins the team, Perry will be put into the weight program and given the full playbook to learn. The big test there is figuring out what Perry will be able to pick up, and how quickly he will be able to pick it up once fall practice arrives.

"Can you put in enough offense for him without him getting confused or rattled?" Richt said. "We hope to go at a pace that he can figure it out enough to compete, because the first competition is learning what to do. If you don’t know what to do, it’s hard to compete. You’ll make mistakes, you can’t run the system. Because you’re an athlete doesn’t mean you can ad lib all day and make something happen. You can probably do that more in high school than in college. Can he learn enough to function and play winning football for us? I don’t know. We’ll find out."

Advertisement
I hate this RPO system in all honesty. But if that's the direction Richt is going Allison would never see the field here that's not his skillset.

Following camp he was the third guy at best. Then Rick is also looking forward to Perry coming in. And then there is Sitkowski coming in early next year. Writing was on the wall and if this kid wanted a chance to show what he's got and then he had to make the move. Wish him the best

Advertisement

At this point, Rosier and Shirreffs are the knowns -- at least on the practice field. But Perry remains the unknown, a tantalizing prospect with physical gifts that set him apart from every quarterback on the roster.

"He may pick everything up and be a natural and be the guy, or he might not be ready for this moment yet and maybe we can get him in here and there, maybe he has to redshirt," Richt said. "I wish he would have been here this spring, because I’d know a lot more about the quarterbacks."

Waiting until summer to get a better idea is not ideal, but Richt and his staff believe Perry could be worth the wait. Ranked No. 84 on the ESPN 300 for the class of 2017, Richt describes Perry as "super athletic. He has tremendous arm talent. There’s passers and there’s throwers. He’s got nice touch, but if he has to zing it, he can zing it as good as anybody. He’s got arm talent, and in high school people had a hard time tackling the guy."

But there also are the caveats. At 6-foot-3, Perry weighed 175 pounds in high school. Miami already has asked him to start putting on weight before he gets to campus. Richt said Perry sometimes will take a photograph of a meal he is eating and send it to prove that he is trying to put on pounds; he is up to about 180.

Once he officially joins the team, Perry will be put into the weight program and given the full playbook to learn. The big test there is figuring out what Perry will be able to pick up, and how quickly he will be able to pick it up once fall practice arrives.

"Can you put in enough offense for him without him getting confused or rattled?" Richt said. "We hope to go at a pace that he can figure it out enough to compete, because the first competition is learning what to do. If you don’t know what to do, it’s hard to compete. You’ll make mistakes, you can’t run the system. Because you’re an athlete doesn’t mean you can ad lib all day and make something happen. You can probably do that more in high school than in college. Can he learn enough to function and play winning football for us? I don’t know. We’ll find out."

I would hope he follows the BK path. Block out all outside distractions, lock his self in the film room, and live in the playbook. It can be done.

At their core, RPOs—originally referenced as packaged plays—simplify reads for the quarterback. Within each play, the signal-caller comes to the line of scrimmage with two or three reads. They're generally half-field reads. It's much like option football, but spread from sideline to sideline.

The quarterback lines up in shotgun and takes the snap. As he rides the handoff to the running back, he reads the force player. Unlike the zone read or a traditional option play, the end man at the line of scrimmage isn't the force player. Instead, the quarterback is trying to leverage a linebacker or defensive back often found in a passing lane.

If the read defender vacates his coverage responsibility, the quarterback will pull the ball and target a receiver who comes open in the zone. If the defender doesn't leave his coverage area, the quarterback will hand the ball to the running back. There are many variations of this concept, but this is the basic explanation.

For the offensive line, the blocking is simple: They're run-blocking whether the ball is handed off or thrown. What's important for NFL linemen is not getting caught downfield, because college football has done a poor job of officiating this aspect and allows far too much leeway when it comes to blockers three to five yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Its not about being mobile. So stop trying to spin it like the QB is the one doing the running.

Also the coach's guys is the guy who can help him win games. Not the guy he loved most in recruiting. So if he really wanted it Allison should of been able to grab this spot and say its his. He should have a huge advantage over both freshmen and then a future freshmen as far as knowing the offense, knowing the personnel, and spending a year in a college weight and nutrition program. Also another year of his body maturing. His other competition also had the same amount of years in the system and supposedly weren't as gifted as him.

He may have a better chance to start somewhere else, but if he can't win an open competition with all the advantages he has then he is really far behind the 8 ball on ever making the league. Especially when running away from an open competition.

drop back passer in an offense where the QB has to be mobile...Richt wasn't going to put another statue back there no matter how well he had done in the spring.

I'm sure he figured that out and is headed somewhere that employs more of a system that fits his skills.

don't fault the kid and hope he does well some where just hope it's not at UFAG.

Now I think it's time to consider a grad transfer cause if Perry isn't up to the task we are F*&ked...

QB doesn't have "to be mobile" in Richt's system. That's pure bunk! He coached "another statue" called Weinke (Richt called him "a staue" as well) to a Heisman. In his offense you have to be accurate. Let me repeat; in his offense you have to be accurate. The RPO look comes from porous oline play and poor accuracy. If you were to ask Richt what he thinks is most important for a QB in his system he would say accuracy.

This mobility narrative is inaccurate and tired. Getting the ball out on target and on time is the key to this offense. The rest is just smoke and mirrors.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I hate this RPO system in all honesty. But if that's the direction Richt is going Allison would never see the field here that's not his skillset.

You dont understand the rpo.

Who are you to tell me what I understand? oh ok.

People just misunderstand the concept. You don't have to be a mobile qb to run this. All the qb is doing is reading certain movements of the defense( linebackers or other parts) and based on their action if they bite down the running back belly fake then a receiver will be a hot route in that spot replacing that open spot and the qb throws it to it. If the numbers are correct for a running play and the linebacker doesn't come then he will hand the ball to the running back. Now a running qb could make the rpo concept work better but anyone should be able to run regardless if they are a dual threat or pocket passer

Last edited:
Oh but at [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] was all about him just needing time. A Jack vs Perry battle he said. Another whiff.

Jack was the leader and Rick was just propping up Evan to keep the dumb fans from imploding.

Advertisement
Back