All time greatest canes plays

TheZacMamba

Recruit
Not sure if this has already been done. Sorry if it has. But what are your top 3 favorite canes plays? For me, in descending order:

3- Devin Hester's opening kick off vs. the Gators
2- Sean Taylor INT return vs FSU, in the rain
1- Devin Hester Punt Return vs Duke

(The return vs Duke last year probably got the best reaction out of me but idk if I'd say it's one of my favorite plays)

Looking forward to the responses. Even the ****head responses.

Advertisement
Not a play specifically but just any time Jerome Brown and Dan Sileo looked lovingly into each other's eyes on the sideline.

I'll play...
1) 3 & 43 Erickson to Thrill Hill for the first down
1A) Kenny Calhoun deflecting 2pt conversion to seal our first National Championship
2) Danny Stubbs pic against FSU in 1987 - huge momentum play
3) Walsh to Irvin for the long TD in 1987 against FSU - another HUGE momentum play - crazy game
4) Any play from last drive of WWIII - they were all great. Whatta game.

lot of great plays to choose from...nice problem to have.

Go Canes!

Kirby Freeman 84 yards to Darnell Jenkins (vs Ncsu) to complete the most mind blowing stat line ever

Clearly, it's the end-of-game return against Duke. The Nebraska two-point version play a close second.

There are more memorable plays against the canes, not least because they were against the canes - Flutie, the Alabama steal, the Gary fumble, the Conlan pick, etc.

Advertisement
2001 vs BC. BC about to score to take the lead in the 4th Q. Deflected pass is intercepted by Cane DT Matt Walters. Ed Reed then steals the ball from Matt and weaves 80 yards for a Cane TD.

Game over. Undefeated path to the Natty is preserved.

Ed Reed, one of the best playmakers of all time, in college and the NFL.

For sheer unlikelihood, the Duke return. For the program, the KC deflection on the Nebraska 2 point attempt. For me as a fan being in attendance, Wide Right I. I'll never forget the eerie sound of 60K Nole hearts breaking, all at the same time.

Advertisement
2001 vs BC. BC about to score to take the lead in the 4th Q. Deflected pass is intercepted by Cane DT Matt Walters. Ed Reed then steals the ball from Matt and weaves 80 yards for a Cane TD.

Game over. Undefeated path to the Natty is preserved.

Ed Reed, one of the best playmakers of all time, in college and the NFL.

This! 2001 Canes are solidified in CFB history as the best ever. However, they almost lost this game had it not been for this play. I remember grabbing the closest sofa pillow and throwing it across the room. A true bad *** Canes moment. Number two was Walsh to Irvin in 87. I was there in the lower west endzone when that happen. Crazy good times.

**** people, football started before 2001.

Calhoun knocking away the 2 point conversion against Nebraska in 1984 (83 season) to win the first national title

Bubba McDowell knocking away the 2 point conversion against FSU in 1987 to win 26-25

Randall Hill's TD against Texas in the Cotton Bowl and him running into the tunnel to celebrate

Carlos Jones' pick 6 against Danny Kannell in 94 to seal the 34-20 win over FSU

Any play that Dan Sileo made

[video=youtube;0D-0Ix29TI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-0Ix29TI0[/video]

Advertisement
Michael Barrow "separating Tamarick Vanover from his senses" in the 1992 FSU game at the OB.

[video=youtube;IpDNr-2JIDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDNr-2JIDw[/video]

Advertisement
Not sure if this has already been done. Sorry if it has. But what are your top 3 favorite canes plays? For me, in descending order:

3- Devin Hester's opening kick off vs. the Gators
2- Sean Taylor INT return vs FSU, in the rain
1- Devin Hester Punt Return vs Duke

(The return vs Duke last year probably got the best reaction out of me but idk if I'd say it's one of my favorite plays)

Looking forward to the responses. Even the ****head responses.
This is the one for me: Ed Reed making sure we have undefeated season and go on to win a NC. One play changes the course of the game and the whole season for us.

[video=youtube;m_ZQkJKw4NA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ZQkJKw4NA[/video]

No video of it exists but Kevin Williams had a 91 yard punt return against Penn State in 1991 that was a memorable moment.

The breakdown in the kicking game resulted in a 91-yard punt return by Kevin Williams, the longest in Miami history, to give the Hurricanes a 20-6 lead with 4:15 to go in the third quarter. The return came just 2:19 after an 80-yard pass from Torretta to Horace Copeland, with 6:34 to go in the third quarter, that broke a 6-6 halftime tie.

Carlos Huerta kicking the winning FG at Michigan to beat them 31-30 when we were down 30-14 in the 4th quarter. Best part was the not the FG or the comeback, but the ABC camera showing a close up of a shocked dork in the Michigan band about to cry for his mommy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back